spc
Search similar:

uniqs

barakandl
@wideopenwest.com

barakandl

Anon

Ultra TV skipping

I had insight about a month ago and dumped them. Was way to expensive and the cable box was junk.

I got WOW ultra tv installed and initially thought was it is great. I can watch stuff on my Tversity media server, better hardware, software etc... but i am having some issues.

About a week after getting it installed i would have problems where it would say "unable to communicate with media gateway", the internet would drop out at the same time. This was intermittent but very annoying. Happened numerous times a day. Recordings where interrupted, internet gaming drops etc....

I made a service call and the tech came out today. He claimed my signal strength was excellent and decided to replace the media gateway.

Well so far today i have no drop outs of "cannot communicate with media gateway" but i still have some issues. Internet has not dropped out at all, i have had a continuous ping run all day with no lost packets. But video playback occasionally stutters for a brief moment. The sound skips and video skips for maybe a quarter to half a second. This happens once every ten minutes maybe. My audio receiver acts like it loses the signal for a second too then shows that it reconnected with dolby digital or whatever.

Am i being too picky or still issues?
barakandl

barakandl

Anon

Ugh...

I still have the same original issue. The entire connection cut out for about two minutes just now. First i got unable to communicate with media gateway, then i got signal loss on the tv. Internet was down at the same time.
sgc7
join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL

sgc7 to barakandl

to barakandl
I think everyone with Ultra TV encounters the skipping. I have reported it to Arris, along with many other of the issues.

As for the dropouts, I had severe problems with this when I first got Ultra TV. We had more than half a dozen service calls to resolve the problem. We ended up rewiring the house, including the drop cable (which is not *quite* as big of a deal as you might expect). For 2 months we have not had the dropout issue (except for one time during the really bad IL pixellation problem, but that was their side, not ours). They did rewire the house free of charge.
BrookparkBob
join:2012-03-05
Brook Park, OH

BrookparkBob to barakandl

to barakandl
A lot of people have these communication issues, including me. Rebooting the GW always seems to fix it, at least for a while, so I'm sure replacing your GW provided no benefit. I'm guessing the problems are software related and will eventually get worked out. I have noticed much improvement since the initial launch (which often felt more like beta testing) through sw updates.

In the past, I needed to reboot the GW 4-5 times per week - particularly to reestablish connectivity with the web client to manage my DVR. Now, it's only occasional - maybe weekly. hopefully wow and arris get on this and work it out. Otherwise, it's a nice product at a good price point.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to barakandl

Premium Member

to barakandl
If your video and internet services go out at the same time, it sounds like the gateway possibly is rebooting itself. If you send me your account information, I can take a look at the gateway and see if there's anything I can see that would cause a problem.

barakandl
@wideopenwest.com

barakandl

Anon

Dan,

What is your email or a good safe way to send you my account info.

Since my service call on Saturday, i have only had one drop out that i have noticed. Which is much much better than before with my old gateway. The skipping of the audio still bugs me.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by barakandl :

Dan,

What is your email or a good safe way to send you my account info.

Since my service call on Saturday, i have only had one drop out that i have noticed. Which is much much better than before with my old gateway. The skipping of the audio still bugs me.

You can send me a private message here on the forums with that information, or the forums allow you to send me emails directly as well through my profile page.