stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus

Re: Official Diablo 3 Thread

Aussies who pre-ordered are screwed. No game, no refund.
»i.imgur.com/UQHpU.png

Kulldar
Premium Member
join:2008-11-11
Warren, MI

Kulldar to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
I dunno, I think identifying will be a gamble. Sure you could get more money selling an unid rare as opposed to selling that rare with low end stats. But think about how much money you'd get selling that same perfect rare. Keeping up with the market will be key.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
Cary, NC

stvnbrs to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
via twitter:
BlizzardCS @BlizzardCS
The Diablo III installer is now live! Visit our Technical Support forums if you encounter any errors:»t.co/yanvtCmf

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious to Kulldar

Premium Member

to Kulldar
said by Kulldar:

I dunno, I think identifying will be a gamble.

Exactly my point. ID'ing will be a gamble, so its safer to sell un'ID.

You're chances of getting a godly roll on stats are pretty slim.

Taino
join:2010-10-15
Port Richey, FL

Taino to Exodus

to Exodus
Installer is live. I just did it on my desktop and laptop. For those asking about the storyline, it is told during the install. It glosses over a lot but goes over the story of Diablo and Diablo 2 and it's xpac. You should have a general idea of what's going on just from reading that.

Now the wait begins for the servers to go live.
Tehuno
join:2005-01-18
Bartlesville, OK

Tehuno to Savious

to Savious
if its an item you might use, you have to ID it before you can equip it though right?

Kulldar
Premium Member
Warren, MI

Kulldar

Premium Member

Yes
Kulldar

Kulldar to Tehuno

Premium Member

to Tehuno
Take the spiderweb sash for example. If that item dropped in Diablo 2 you'd see a beige color item called "Arachnid Mesh".

Then once you identified it, the item would reveal;
Arachnid Mesh
Spiderweb Sash
Defense: 119 - 138 ***
Required Level: 80
Required Strength: 50
Durability: 12
+90 - 120% Enhanced Defense ***
Slows Targe by 10%
+1 to all skills
+20% faster cast rate
Increases Maximum Mana 5%
Level 3 Venom (11 charges)

*** These attributes are random and not revealed until you identify the item.

Unless you played a lot, you wouldn't know exactly what that arachnid mesh was unless you identified it. Some rare's aren't nearly as valuable as others.

I imagine it'll be similar in Diablo 3 but really have no clue as I've not followed any of the news. If so, I'm sure there is some sort of Diablo 3 wiki that could identify the item before identifying it in game.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Taino

Premium Member

to Taino
said by Taino:

Installer is live. I just did it on my desktop and laptop. For those asking about the storyline, it is told during the install. It glosses over a lot but goes over the story of Diablo and Diablo 2 and it's xpac. You should have a general idea of what's going on just from reading that.

Now the wait begins for the servers to go live.

Sweet, so similar to the Starcraft 2 installer? I'll have to watch tonight.

Mentat
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

Mentat to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
For Windows 7 users:

There is a known bug with the installer. It will hang at 'updating system files' indefinitely on some people's rigs. The only fix at this point is to go to compatibility mode and run it as Win XP system pack 3.

This happened to me during the open beta patch, I bugged it (along with lots of other people) but it still exists as of this morning.

If its widespread, and I bet it will be, this is the only known fix.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

Thanks for this!

Mentat
Premium Member
Houston, TX

Mentat

Premium Member

Well, it is just shameful that a game as hyped as D3 is has such a shitty bug with the INSTALLATION OF THE GAME.

I hate crying, QQing, raging and bitching as much as the next guy, but it is really unexcusable.

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious to Kulldar

Premium Member

to Kulldar
The official D3 page will have all items revealed once the game goes live. When you get a Legendary or Set item, simply ALT+Tab out and look it up.

The D3 sets and legendaries are a lot different then the D2 ones. Most D2 uniques (legendaries for the D3 peeps) had almost universal set states, and it was rare to have one with variable stats that people actually paid high value for (see:War Travelers).

The D3 legendaries (unique for the D2 peeps) and sets have fixed Affixes; however, they will be varied in stats, plus 1 RANDOM affix. So in my Bul Kathos example, even through it will always have the same 4 affixes, but they will be RNG numbers, and then then the random stat that could be anything as well as RNG.

Basically, you will never actually know what you are getting, and the premium items will have very high numbers on the 4 affixes (using the Bul Kathos example) and the random will be useful to the Barbarian (Bul Kathos example again) and also very high.

The items that have perfect stats (all 4 fixed Affixes are max on the RNG, the random is a useful stat and also maxed) will be worth untold amounts. I wouldn't be surprised to see those on the RMAH for several hundred dollars, or even in the thousands.

Its unfortunate that Blizzard has not made D3 PvP competitive, as that would drive the RMAH prices through the roof. I think that was a mistake on the corporate side of the house, as that is where they could really make some serious cash.

Of course, then you would get people complaining about money being a requirement to be competitive, but, that’s another conversation entirely.

Mentat
Premium Member
Houston, TX

Mentat

Premium Member

Also, I was in the beta for close to a year and the open beta build was the buggiest I played. YMMV
Tehuno
Bartlesville, OK

Tehuno to Savious

to Savious
do items have armor class(ie- cloth/light, medium/leather, etc), or any way to indicate what class can use them?

Really dont want to have to alt tab out every time an item drops to tell if i can use it before ID'ing it.

and another question, in your previous example, an item with max stats will be worth a ton, obviously. Well you wont know an item's stats without ID'ing it, so how would you know you could sell it for a lot of money?

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

It's gambling... you pass the risk off on to someone else.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
Cary, NC

stvnbrs to Tehuno

Premium Member

to Tehuno
I do not believe there is an armor class, but there are primary stats that are used to better identify weather a specific piece of gear is for your class. Think Strength, AGI ect. like in wow.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Tehuno

Premium Member

to Tehuno
said by Tehuno:

and another question, in your previous example, an item with max stats will be worth a ton, obviously. Well you wont know an item's stats without ID'ing it, so how would you know you could sell it for a lot of money?

Like Drew said, it also normalizes the AH, because everything can be sold as unidentified, so the same piece of gear will be sold for the same value.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
Cary, NC

stvnbrs

Premium Member

Can not post unidentified items on AH.
Tehuno
Bartlesville, OK

Tehuno to stvnbrs

to stvnbrs
said by stvnbrs:

I do not believe there is an armor class, but there are primary stats that are used to better identify weather a specific piece of gear is for your class. Think Strength, AGI ect. like in wow.

can you see those stats before you ID an item?

stvnbrs
Premium Member
Cary, NC

stvnbrs

Premium Member

I don't think you can, but since you can't post unidentified on AH, there is no point to ever keep an item unidentified except by posting on internet auction sites (frowned on by Blizz, possibly considered gambling depending on where you live.)

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious to stvnbrs

Premium Member

to stvnbrs
said by stvnbrs:

Poopy, do you have a source on that?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to stvnbrs

Premium Member

to stvnbrs
said by stvnbrs:

I thought the whole purpose of that was to pass on the risk to buyer. wtf?

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

Probably a database thing, tbh.

In WoW, when your account gets hacked and all your greens (____ ____ of the _____ ) are not able to be returned with a specific set of stats. They share an itemID.

I suspect the unidentified items have a similar setup. Why they do it, however, is beyond me.

Kulldar
Premium Member
Warren, MI

Kulldar to Tehuno

Premium Member

to Tehuno
said by Tehuno:

do items have armor class(ie- cloth/light, medium/leather, etc), or any way to indicate what class can use them?

Really dont want to have to alt tab out every time an item drops to tell if i can use it before ID'ing it.

I'm responding strictly based on my Diablo 2 experience. So this post may be worthless depending on how #3 is actually played.

Armor didn't have class types. However, it was restricted by certain attributes. In my spiderweb sash example above, you'd have to be level 80+ and have a strength of 50+.

Part of creating a "build" in Diablo 2 was to figure out all the best gear for that theory, and then assign your attributes accordingly making sure you could equip the gear. Then you'd optimize the remainder of your attribute points based on your class. So for my MF Sorc (magic find sorceress) I made sure I had enough strength and dexterity to equip all the best magic find gear before allocating attribute points to mana, stamina, etc...

Based on stvnbrs post stating you can't post unidentified items on AH, you'd have to identify it anyway just to post it on the AH, so I doubt you'll do much alt+tabbing. I imagine unidentified items will have value on the trade market at some point. In Diablo 2, you'd create a game with a name specific to what you were trading... "WTT 3 unid rare rings", for example. People would join your game and haggle with you.

In all reality though, you'll have plenty of time to learn most of the loot as you play. In Diablo 2 none of the really good rare items dropped in normal difficulties. You'd have to do hell or some niche nightmare bosses for the really good loot, which I suspect will be the most valuable on the auction houses. By the time you get to that point you'll have invested many hours and have a good idea what to look for.
Tehuno
Bartlesville, OK

Tehuno to drew

to drew
said by drew:

Probably a database thing, tbh.

In WoW, when your account gets hacked and all your greens (____ ____ of the _____ ) are not able to be returned with a specific set of stats. They share an itemID.

I suspect the unidentified items have a similar setup. Why they do it, however, is beyond me.

less items in the table = faster data retrieval.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
Cary, NC

stvnbrs to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by stvnbrs:

I thought the whole purpose of that was to pass on the risk to buyer. wtf?

I think they had problems (such as in Korea) because this can be construed as gambling. Not sure, why, trying to find the blue post on this. Can only access cached sites from work.
Expand your moderator at work

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to stvnbrs

Premium Member

to stvnbrs

Re: Official Diablo 3 Thread

said by stvnbrs:

I think they had problems (such as in Korea) because this can be construed as gambling.

Aaaaaaah. That makes sense.

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

Super dissapointing. It will be very hard to value leganderies and sets on the AH. If one has +12 strength and the other +15, how much more us the 3 strength worth? How much more will a perfect be worth?