markp_2000
Heathen
Premium Member
join:2004-01-21
West Linn, OR

markp_2000

Premium Member

Cache Revalidation on Apache2

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to conduct an end-to-end Cache Revalidation?

Users on my site are reporting various issues and I have traced it down to a misconfigured apache2 expires directive. Which I have fixed. Although most have completed a self purging of their cache I still have users reporting various issues.

I would like to force a complete reloading of their cache from the server.

Mark

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by markp_2000:

I would like to force a complete reloading of their cache from the server.

Because they may already have a cached version of the page, any type of meta tag, header, or other cache directive wouldn't be loaded. If you can control links that point to the page or the resource in question, appending a query string with a random number will differentiate the page requests and bypass cached content.

markp_2000
Heathen
Premium Member
join:2004-01-21
West Linn, OR

markp_2000

Premium Member

I was afraid of that. I did that with one javascript (added a -v1.js) and was hoping for an easier method. The resources were cached for 30 days, so I guess at the worse end it would be 30 days from site upgrade.

I will look at all of the critical files and start to work.

Mark
markp_2000

markp_2000

Premium Member

If I push some of this stuff to a CDN would that help? The stuff I have read states I need to have a new URL to pull the updated files.

Mark

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

If the page itself is cached, no. If it's an asset of a page yes. But just changing the filename or adding a query string would do that as well without using a cdn.