spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kb1
join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN

kb1

Major problem with Arris TG862G/CT gateway

My new Arris TG862G will not allow me to login to my secure bank website or any secure site with the ethernet connection on the back of the gateway connected to my desktop. Now if I use my cell phone with WiFi turned on I can login in with my bank account with this gateway. If I put this gateway in bridge mode I
am able to access secure sites with the ethernet connection.

Strange. Anyone else have this problem with the Arris TG862G?
Could a software or firmware upgrade fix this problem? I am still waiting for a call from a level 3 tech from Comcast.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

That has nothing to do with your modem, at all. It would be the configuration of your router or computer.

Please post the exact error messages you are getting and some more information so we can help. »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »How To Get Help!
kb1
South Bend, IN

kb1

I have Windows 7 home premium 64bit. The error message with
IE9 is "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I get a similar message with Chrome and Mozilla. The problem is not with my computer. I have taken my desktop to my brothers house
and hooked it up to his Comcast modem (not a gateway) and am able to login with no problems. The problem is in the router in this
gateway. As I said before if I put this gateway in bridge mode
I do not have any trouble logging into any secure sites.
Thanks beachintech.
jobias
join:2006-01-18
Knoxville, TN

jobias to beachintech

to beachintech
As crazy as this may sound Beach, this is actually a known issue, not a problem with kb1's PC, there's some odd bug that's causing issues with certain websites on the TG862 when connected directly via ethernet, but they work fine over wireless or in bridge mode.

Whether it's some trippy nat settings or firewall or what though... dunno. It is on their internal outage board with a network ticket and everything.
kb1
South Bend, IN

1 edit

kb1

jobias, when you say " It is on their internal outage board with a network ticket and everything" does that mean that Comcast
knows about the problem? Where can I find this internal outage
board?

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

That would be what that means - and the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time. I am glad I no longer work for the company.

My advice - take that piece of junk back and get a modem as a stand along device and a router.
jobias
join:2006-01-18
Knoxville, TN

jobias to kb1

to kb1
Yep, it's known, they're working on it. They used to have an external outage notification system, but it's been decommissioned. Basically have to call in and ask someone to check the national outage board if you want to know if there's any thing like that that is going on, though from what I've been told, they don't exactly go into detail on the specifics of it.
I do know it's not affecting all of the tg's, and have heard from someone else that has a TG862 that it was affecting that it may be fixable by using an alternate DNS server, something involving it routing around a switch that puts bits in the packets that the tg doesn't like, or vice versa, but ymmv, as that's just speculation they've heard regarding the root cause. Wouldn't hurt to try.
kb1
South Bend, IN

kb1

Just got a call from a Comcast level 3 tech. They will be calling me back next week.
kb1

kb1

Still waiting for call back. Anyone else hear anything?

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

1 edit

Ripper to kb1

Premium Member

to kb1
In the Comcast approved modem list, a notice was posted on that Modem problem »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net ··· =&sc=280
kb1
South Bend, IN

kb1

Thanks Ripper.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Ripper

MVM

to Ripper
said by Ripper:

In the Comcast approved modem list, a notice was posted on that Modem problem »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net ··· =&sc=280

There is an item on the Multichannel News site today about this issue:

Comcast Working On DNS Fix For Arris Gateways
Glitch Prevents Devices from Using Third-Party Domain Name System Services
By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - June 5, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/art ··· ways.php
unknownowner
join:2012-08-02
Abingdon, MD

unknownowner to kb1

to kb1
I wonder if anyone has done the swap yet and what model emta are they replacing this with?
bgoodbody
Bill G
join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA

bgoodbody to kb1

to kb1
Are your using a 3rd party DNS service or the default Comcast.

If not using comcast, try them and see if it fixes the problem

kb1
South Bend, IN

kb1 to unknownowner

to unknownowner
said by unknownowner:

I wonder if anyone has done the swap yet and what model emta are they replacing this with?

Comcast replaced mine with the SMCD3GNV all in one gateway.
Everything works fine.