Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

[E-mail] Trouble getting sending/receiving Comcast.net email

I am having a hard time sending/receiving Comcast.net email on my Mac (via mail client) and the mail app on my ipad/iphone. I have had the same password for years and i am able to use my other email accounts just fine (icloud and gmail). I have two comcast.net email accounts and they give me error messages. I am wondering if they are trying to force me to use their propreitery email clients or their apps.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

What error are you getting ?
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA

Cannot send mail, the username or password for smtp: myemailaddress@smtp.comcast.net is incorrect

jholdren

join:2004-04-02
Kent, WA

There have been some recent reports of Comcast changing email addresses they they determined weren't "strong" enough. Have you called customer service yet?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to IowaCowboy

I'm not having any issues on my desktop or iPhone. Not before or since the outage the other day.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
reply to IowaCowboy

I have this problem occasionally with my iPhone. As the OS is essentially the same as the Mac, I would say try the same solution- delete and recreate the account on the Mac.

flrpwr

@comcast.net
reply to IowaCowboy

No but they are implementing a SSL connection for future installs, but supporting the non ssl for previous installs which makes absolutely no sense, but that's pretty much the story of this company form a tech perspective all the way through. Its possible they have just fubared that getting it all ironed out and you need to wait a few days, if the web client works in the mean time its a nice work around but should not o be a permanent thing.

You may be able to look up the SSL info at »customer.comcast.com somehow if you want to try changing the client to use it but I imagine they borked up both sides if that is the case. Note this will require you specify a different email port and that you require ssl.

Curious do you have an arris dory though? It seems SSL and them are having some issues from other posts, if you are set up on the SSL e-mail connection that may be the same problem.

mike34
Premium
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA
reply to jholdren

said by jholdren:

There have been some recent reports of Comcast changing email addresses they they determined weren't "strong" enough.

I think you mean passwords, not addresses.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
reply to flrpwr

My modem is the Motorola 6120. Went back to it when I dropped CDV for Verizon to accomodate the new alarm system.

jholdren

join:2004-04-02
Kent, WA
reply to mike34

Whoops! You are correct. My bad.