spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zrtb

@comcast.net

[Connectivity] odd connection issue

Recently I have been experiencing a very odd connection issue when ever I am gaming (maybe during normal use as well, but the only time I've noticed it is when I am gaming). I am currently using an SB5100 as my modem -- my connection would randomly "drop" and my game would freeze. The send light would start blinking when this happens, the connection just dies intermittently and then comes right back on. Has anyone experienced similar symptoms before, or have any idea what's causing it?

Here are my current signals
====================
Downstream Value
Frequency 693000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
Power Level -9 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Frequency 30100000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 37 dBmV

defiant
MVM
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI
kudos:2
Keep an eye on your upstream power level from time to time. If it fluctuates more than 2-3 dB, then you should schedule a service call.
--
Employee of Charter Communications. The views and opinions expressed in the post above may not reflect those of my employer.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to zrtb
Minus 9 dB on the forward (downtream) power is already weak and out of spec. It is also out of balance with what the return (upstream) power is. Perhaps you should get that tech visit sooner rather than later to properly balance your line.

zrtb

@comcast.net
Tech came and went. He did some work on the pole outside of my house and said there weren't noticeable issues with my signal/connection. But I will keep a close eye on it, and see if the issue persists.

Here are the latest signal readings from the modem
=====
Downstream Value
Power Level -7 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Power Level 39 dBmV

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to zrtb
downstream too low, return too hot (low)......

if you had -9 and 53 that would be more typical level wise,
same as a +3 and 39 would be normal....

but your -9 and 39.....those levels dont jive....
--
I'm better than you!

kerfuffle

join:2012-06-07
Hi guys, I am back. So I reached out to Comcast to request them to dispatch a line tech to take a look into this issue and opened a ticket. The gentleman that I spoke with on the phone told me that he must first send a "premise" tech to be rolled out and assess the problem before it can be escalated to a line tech.

The "premise" tech just came and went. He checked the outside connection with a handheld device, and he said that there was quite a bit of ingress/noise. He proceeded to do some work on the pole across the street, and then applied a "pad" on a splitter in my basement (I can post a picture of this if anyone is interested). He went back outside and tested the connection again with his handheld device, and he said the noise issue is fixed.

Here's a snippet of the current signal readings from my modem
===========
Downstream Value
Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB
Power Level -8 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Power Level 36 dBmV
===========

It doesn't look like it changed much from what I had posted initially. I even went as far as resetting the modem back to defaults. So what say you guys to these new readings? How can I get a legitimate line tech to look at this issue, instead of given the run around?

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
call back in....as a repeat call itll send up a flag....

the "pad" is a high pass filter which blocks any interference from getting back on that line...
--
I'm better than you!

kerfuffle

It looks like that's what I will end up doing tomorrow and make sure they send out a line tech. Do you recommend leaving the pad on, or should I take it out?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by kerfuffle:

It looks like that's what I will end up doing tomorrow and make sure they send out a line tech. Do you recommend leaving the pad on, or should I take it out?

It doesn't seem to be helping...or hurting. I'd leave it, see what transpires tomorrow when the line tech comes out.
--
Deeds, not words

kerfuffle

Can someone explain what the issue is exactly, and what the culprit might be? I've tried explaining to the person on the other end that my signals are out of spec resulting in disconnections, only to get a canned response of "I can see your signals from my end, and it looks fine."

I would like to articulate this issue as best as I can the next time I call in, so I get taken more seriously.

kerfuffle

Well the upstream signal have gotten progressively worse. Here's a snapshot:

Downstream Value
Power Level -7 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 36500000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 29 dBmV

Connection was out for a good period of time last night, and when it came back my IP changed from the 24.x.x.x range to a 78.x.x.x range. Connection is still sporadic, and connection speed seem to have suffered as well.

A third tech is coming out tomorrow to take another look at this, and they assured me it will be a line tech. I am not sure what else I can do.

kerfuffle

Quick update,

The third tech came and did some readings from my modem and confirms that the upstream power level is out of spec. He swapped out my self-owned SB5100 with a SB5120 to rule out the modem, the readings came back to be the same. He was baffled as to why the upstream was so low and said the issue will be escalated to the techs in bucket trucks look at the "headend". This should occur sometime this evening, or early tomorrow morning.

Just a little off-topic question, is it standard procedure for the techs to take away old modems EVEN when it is self-owned? He gave me a SB5120 and left with my old SB5100 modem.

Finally, is it possible to determine whether this replacement that he gave me is a pre-used modem from an existing customer that may have cancelled service? I am curious because when he got the modem from his truck, it was wrapped with generic plastic wrap and it looks like their are a few small nicks on the modem itself when I look closely.

Could there be additional problems or issues if it is indeed a used modem? I am not opposed to purchasing a brand new modem if that is the case.

thanks for reading.

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
customer owned, is customer owned....call in and complain....

modems go through a recert process at a regional facility where it is tested, then shrink wrapped and sent to local offices for distribution..

about 60% of modems on a techs truck are used...nothing to concern yourself with...youre modem was workin just fine, so i dont understand why he didnt put your back on the account....

and most escalations take 12-36 hours to be assigned and started...and could take longer, yours however shouldnt take very long, seeing as your return is running hot.....
--
I'm better than you!

kerfuffle

Hi,

I contacted the tech via SMS to have to bring back the SB5100, he replied saying he would drop it off in my mailbox sometime today but that has not materialized -- I'll give it another day, if not I will likely end up purchasing a DOCSIS 3.0 compliant modem.

I believe the comcast techs might have did some maintenance work at the plant/headend/CMTS earlier today (don't know the exact terminology). There were log entries that reference "suppressed signals for maintenance", or something along those lines. I forgot to note down the exact message before restoring the defaults on the modem.

In any event, here is a current snapshot of my signals -- not sure if it's any better than it was previous:

Downstream Value
Frequency 693000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 35 dB
QAM QAM256
Network Access Control Object ON
Power Level -2 dBmV
Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 36500000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 649
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/s
Power Level 33 dBmV