Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

CIK Telecom (TPIA Cogeco/Rogers)

»www.ciktel.com/Main/Eng/Resident···able.asp

Quite interesting. The 'unlimited' is a huge selling point for me. Anyone willing to be a guinea pig?

PRIUS

join:2009-09-17
Toronto, ON
said by Last Parade:

»www.ciktel.com/Main/Eng/Resident···able.asp

Quite interesting. The 'unlimited' is a huge selling point for me. Anyone willing to be a guinea pig?

And I like the idea that CIK provides the option to pay for the service (s) by telephone banking, In-branch banking. Definitely going to look into this, as my contract with Rogers Internet expires next month. Thanks for the link.

brassy

join:2004-01-09
Brantford, ON
reply to Last Parade
Guess its good to see others getting into the tpia for everyone (cmon teksavvy?)

Lots of quibbles about their site though

They mention a fair usage policy, but no link to it?
Front page has a nice big banner for 12M cable for 39.99, yet, thats no where to be found.
Current promotions ended 2 weeks ago but are still listed.

Also, they seem to use cogent only?

nirajshah7

join:2008-11-12
Markham, ON
reply to Last Parade
they have 75M package also.. I wonder if it is truly unlimited ?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
From the ToS:
1.9 Unlimited downloading: CIK might provide unlimited internet upload/download with or without conditions which is based on residential customers normal usage, if abnormal usage or malicious activities detected which endangers CIK network, CIK might suspend customer’s service without notice. CIK unlimited internet downloading policy is also governed by CRTC rules and decision, government laws, and Rogers/Bell’s policy which if any change, CIK will notice customers by email 30 days in advance at least.
So... there's actual CRTC rules and decisions governing unlimited mumblehertz? Hmmm...

5.0 FUTURE CHANGES TO THIS AGREEMENT.
We may change the terms and conditions of this Agreement from time to time. Notices will be considered given and effective on the date posted on www.CIKTel.com. Such changes will become binding on you on the date they are posted to our website and no further notice by us is required upon your continued use of the Service. The Agreement as and when posted supersedes all previously agreed to electronic and written terms of service, including, without limitation, any terms included with the packaging of the Device and also supersedes any written terms provided to Retail Customers in connection with retail distribution, including, without limitation, any written terms enclosed within the packaging of the Device.
They learn fast those indies, don't they?

Colour me suspicious.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch
Expand your moderator at work

n3k0

@teksavvy.com
reply to dillyhammer

Re: CIK Telecom (TPIA Cogeco/Rogers)

You could have warned us about their ugly looking website.

Cannot unsee !

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits
said by n3k0 :

You could have warned us about their ugly looking website....

WTF cares about the colours ?!

Here are some IMPORTANT details (Cogeco-Land) :

Unlimited Monthly Usage thru CIK will cost us $10 more per month than START charges with a specified cap, on any Speed ranges which they both offer. - This means NO UBB !

CIK is offering a 30Mb and a 50Mb TPIA plan thru a Cogeco feed, and seems to be the first Indie ISP to do so.

Like Acanac, CIK has chosen to ONLY offer 'Unlimited' plans, and none with specified caps. - Well, I guess it saves them from potential embarrassment over faulty usage meters !

Also, as often seems to be the case with Acanac, it looks like the quoted prices are a 'Promo', and will rise after the 1st 12 months, but CIK does not seem to state up front what the prices will be AFTER that, where Acanac usually does.

Like START, CIK does not seem to have had success in bringing us a 20/1.5 plan thru GOUGEco. - The CRTC will likely have to get involved to clean THAT up (CRTC Speed-Matching decision being disobeyed by incumbent), as I am not getting as good value for my money as I first expected with START (and as they had advertised in good faith), though I am quite pleased with everything ELSE about my resultant START 16/1 service, especially compared to being with GOUGEco directly, and both are a solid reliable feed with minimal local 'hood node congestion so far, but only IF you use a D3 modem, IME.

Availability of Cogeco-approved D3 modems seems to be up in the air with CIK, and I am not sure whether they only wish to SELL us a modem, or rent them too.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

paul2012

join:2012-02-08
Hamilton, ON
I've looked into this and apparently they do sell the DOCSIS3 DCM475 for $99. It's also available from Canada Computers at the same price.

According to the phone rep, their definition of fair use is a maximum of 300-400gb per month, so to call it unlimited is a very big stretch. Too bad!

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by paul2012:

I've looked into this and apparently they do sell the DOCSIS3 DCM475 for $99....

Ok for Rogers feeds, but not Cogeco so far.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
One of many reposts...

»CIK Telecom