Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Thanks to javaMan

Back in January we had a thread about chiropractic and javaMan suggested osteopathy as an alternative to chiropractic. As I mentioned elsewhere in the thread, my wife has had chronic pain for some time, so we decided to give it a shot. We have no osteopathic physicians in reasonable driving distance but we do have osteopathic manual practitioners.

My wife has had Level 6 background pain in her neck for quite some time with 4-8 stabs of Level 10 thrown in throughout the day. She's done plenty of massage, infrared, physio, chiropractic, prolotherapy, and neural therapy, with no permanent results. After a few treatments the osteopath has her down to Level 3, and she only had two stabs all last week.

She likes it better than chiropractic because the osteopath doesn't make harsh rough adjustments like chiropractors often do so the treatment isn't painful. The osteopath is much more gentle but the treatment takes longer, about 45 minutes. It also lasts, unlike the "two steps forward, two steps back" approach that we're used to

Anyway, thanks again for the recommendation. We're both delighted to be finally going in the right direction.

The original thread is here if anyone's interested: »Re: Is chiropractic care dangerous?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 recommendation

davidhoffman

Premium Member

I learned about osteopathy in an elective college course about alternative medicine back in the early 1980's. The main point was that D.O.s (Doctors of Osteopathy) did not reject treatment with medicines the way chiropractic practitioners do. I also learned that there were a lot more D.O.s practicing in the Chicago metropolitan area than I had imagined. They were far better accepted at traditional hospitals and medical practices than chiropractic practitioners.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

1 recommendation

javaMan to Mango

MVM

to Mango
I'm so glad it helped. When I was a boy about 10 or 11 I got a pinched nerve in my lower back. I was doing infield practice one Saturday morning before the game and couldn't stand up after going for a ground ball. Our family doctor happened to be an Osteopath so my dad called him and we went to his office (imagine a doctor coming to his office on a Saturday morning today). He put me on my stomach and felt around a little and then twisted me like a pretzel and cracked my back. I got up from the table and went back and played the rest of the game. I haven't had a problem with my back since. It made a believer out of me.