share rss forum feed

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to daveinpoway

Re: End of Windows XP support means beginning of security...

When you posted the subject, it was truncated, leading to a misleading subject matter, IMO.

quote:
End of Windows XP support means beginning of security...
To which I say, BS!
quote:
End of Windows XP support era signals beginning of security nightmare

Which is another matter entirely.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
The reason that the title was truncated was that this site did not allow the full title to be posted (apparently there is a character limit to the title). So, I had to use 3 periods to substitute for the last word.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
Yeah, it has always been that way all the years I have been here. Maybe because you were on a Mac it is different. On Windows you can't type pass the character limit so you know there is one. There have been several requests over the years for Justin to change it to allow longer titles. There must be some way around the limit because I sometimes see long titles in the forums here.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Mele20:

There have been several requests over the years for Justin to change it to allow longer titles.

I realize we're getting a bit off topic here, but there has to be some sort of limit. I think there is always a way to get the initial point across with the allowed number of characters.
Otherwise, we'd have topic headings like:
"End of Windows XP support means I just don't know what to do, like, should I stick with XP anyway or upgrade to a newer Windows OS, or buy a Mac or go with linux, or, I mean what do you guys think I should do because I'm really confused about this at the moment and can't make up my mind!"

What a mess that would be.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
I don't recall anyone wanting that sort of mess!

Of course, there should be a limit and that would mean somebody would think the limit was too short but I suspect currently the majority think it is too short not just a few. I think allowing 10-15 more characters would make it easier to have the full title show and yet not be a mess like your example.

I think I am recalling that the reason it is so short a limit is to keep the title on one line. I can't recall why it was objectionable to have it take two lines. Of course, it wouldn't look as nice.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson