All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

VectorBoy
@speakeasy.net

VectorBoy

Anon

[Ultra/Lite] Rogers Throttling upstream?

So I run a very small minecraft server from my home account, and it seems to run fine for about 3 days, and all of a sudden, there's terrible lag issues and just general performance problems.

The moment I switch out the port to a different one, it goes back to normal and full speed... Always seems to have anywhere from 48-72hrs of perfect speeds before it starts to slow down again.

Any idea why they're still throttling, even though the bandwidth is barely being used?
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

Rogers has not yet fully removed upstream throttling. They supposedly started removing it in March, but the timeline for complete removal is through the end of the year. If it's identifying the Minecraft server as P2P file transfers, it could be kicking in and throttling to 80Kbps (10KBps).

Or it could just be an outright problem with their throttling boxes.

But odd that it would be fine for 2-3 days first.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to VectorBoy

to VectorBoy
Haven't run a server myself, but from what I've read Minecraft servers love their RAM -- is it possible that you aren't being throttled after 48-72 hours, but are running out of memory at that point instead?
zacsaunders
join:2012-05-12

zacsaunders

Actually I have the exact same issue, the server will run fine for a few hours/days then extreme lag comes and the game becomes unplayable!. I monitor my upstream and even with only 1 person on the server they get horrible lag.. so they clearly still throttle applications including minecraft servers :P

VectorBoy
@rogers.com

VectorBoy to Ree

Anon

to Ree
nope, definitely not a RAM issue.. system uptime has been weeks/months.. works fine whenever I switch ports, I've rebooted many times as well just to see if it was indeed an out of memory dealy, but it was not.. by deduction it's the upstream throttle.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Not surprising. Minecraft was one of the games I brought up with Rogers reps when I was putting together my World of Warcraft complaint, and it was ignored.