Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

[Mobile] $100m lawsuit filed over Pre-Paid Wireless credit expir

The lawsuit alleges that Bell systemically breaches its contracts with its pre-paid wireless customers by seizing credit balances, and that Bell engages in "unfair practices", contrary to Ontario's Consumer Protection Act. In particular, the lawsuit alleges that pre-paid wireless services payments are "gift cards", as defined by the Act, and cannot have an expiry date; and that Bell's communications to its customers about expiry dates are misleading. The allegations in the lawsuit have not yet been proven in court.

»www.newswire.ca/en/story/973775/···onsumers

It sounds like the suit is about the balance already applied to the account expiring, and not about the top-up cards themselves expiring. I don't know that it actually has a leg to stand on, but it will be interesting to see it tested.

Ot Chuckcar

@teksavvy.com

Re: [Mobile] $100m lawsuit filed over Pre-Paid Wireless credit e

Prepaid credit cards have an expiry date but Bell's record in court is a sad one. Good luck.
Ps. Some Guy just took my name.

hm

@videotron.ca
said by Ot Chuckcar :

Prepaid credit cards have an expiry date

Some. Not all. Expiry dates are a nasty anti-consumer thing.

Some prov's have come out with their own consumer legislation that prohibits this. However, this type of consumer legislation is not country wide. Prov specific only.

Hope they win and I hope consumers win.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to bt
The fact that prepaid airtime expires as quickly as it does with the big boys is a crime in itself.

Speakout from 7-11 has a 1 year expiry date, on any top up you choose and the balance rolls over.

Its great for occasional users and not yappers.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

Almur1

@telus.com
reply to bt
And Rogers just took $180 out of my account so I hope this goes through

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to bt
To some extent, keeping a cellphone active takes up some network resources, even if it just keeping the telephone number in reserve.

Some sort of minimum monthly charge seems reasonable - but I'm sure when Bell is involved, it won't be reasonable.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver
reply to bt
»www.bellmobilityclassaction.ca/

Just in case anyone wants to join the suit, or just read it.

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

1 edit
reply to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

To some extent, keeping a cellphone active takes up some network resources, even if it just keeping the telephone number in reserve.

Some sort of minimum monthly charge seems reasonable - but I'm sure when Bell is involved, it won't be reasonable.

LOL, yeah just you/Bell says that doesn't make it so. They're gouging and someone's calling them out on it.

»www.bell.ca/Mobility/Cell_phone_···id_plans
They say that they charge a $0.75 monthly fee.