Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..

"save your life texts"

I noticed that the pending update for my Thunderbolt is adding the national/local OH MY GOD THE WORLD IS FALLING alerting system.

I'd like to either prevent it, or remove it (rooting is okay with me). Any way to make that happen?

I'm a big boy and don't need my phone telling me what to do. I tell it what to do.

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
kudos:1

Re: "save your life texts"

wait till its installed then opt out?

Although every consumer will be automatically added to the system, you can opt-out of receiving any of the available alerts that might occur except Presidential Alerts.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to ke4pym
If you think "save your life texts" are bad, here in Lake County, Florida some ass hole in the Sheriffs Department decided to send out a reverse 911 Amber Alert for a brat lost in another town, starting at 5:10AM, and continued to call every hour thereafter for several hours.
Edit: I forgot to ask who pays for the text message?

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
reply to thedragonmas
said by thedragonmas:

wait till its installed then opt out?

Although every consumer will be automatically added to the system, you can opt-out of receiving any of the available alerts that might occur except Presidential Alerts.

I don't even really care what the president has to say, honestly.

I was thinking of a way to completely remove the functionality from my phone.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to Mr Matt
you pay up to $0.25 for each one incoming and outgoing.

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
reply to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

Edit: I forgot to ask who pays for the text message?

said by Joe12345678:

you pay up to $0.25 for each one incoming and outgoing.

The federal government and American wireless providers will be bringing a new Emergency Text Alert System to everyone in US on a cellphone this month. The service which will provide geography-based warnings of life threatening events including tornadoes, floods, hurricanes typhoons, tsunamis, dust storms, extreme winds, blizzards and ice storms will be free for all.