Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

New Jersey car inspection

The NJ inspection now is just for emissions.

I have a 1994 Saturn that finally passed after a lot of work.

My question is: I never before noticed the large stars (asterisks) on the bottom of the NJ inspection stickers.

My sticker only has one star. My wife has a somewhat newer car and her sticker has six stars.

Does anyone know what these stars mean? The folks at the DMV phone line didn't know, nor did a state trooper that I asked.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
I tried googling images for New Jersey inspection stickers and none of the images returned had asterisks on them.

Could you post an image?

blur out your registration number and bar code for privacy.

I suppose if all else fails, you could contact the commission by email - sometimes people who answer the phone blow you off, but written requests are often more successful.

»www.state.nj.us/mvc/About/Contac···tion.htm

The shop that did the inspection may also have more information.

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to PX Eliezer7
Wow, I never noticed that before. I took a look at cars in our parking lot, and saw anywhere from 0 to 6 stars. I couldn't detect any pattern. Even stickers that expire the same year had different number of stars.

I looked at the manual for operators of private inspection facilities, and there was no reference to the stars. So I doubt it's based on the car itself.

I'm thinking it's some sort of internal code, perhaps indicating which type of inspection facility was used. Did you have your two cars inspected at the same location?

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to PX Eliezer7
no stars on mine. 2012 Cruze sticker just says NJ New Car Dealer a 1 17
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by Kearnstd:

no stars on mine. 2012 Cruze sticker just says NJ New Car Dealer

It does not apply to the inspection stickers for the New Cars. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to aannoonn
said by aannoonn :

I'm thinking it's some sort of internal code, perhaps indicating which type of inspection facility was used. Did you have your two cars inspected at the same location?

Wife's car at a State facility.

My car at a state-licensed private inspection facility.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
reply to EGeezer
Good ideas, thanks.

--------------------

Thanks to all.

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to PX Eliezer7
said by PX Eliezer7:

Wife's car at a State facility.
My car at a state-licensed private inspection facility.

I bet it has something to do with detecting sticker theft. e.g., if a private garage starts using stickers that were only issued to a state inspection station.

NJxxxJon
DSLR'er from the 56k days.
Premium
join:2005-10-22
reply to PX Eliezer7
I love our state! LOL. It might even have to do with being what type of vehicle and year. In this case my 1980s wagon will get 0.5 ....oh shit. lol.

aannoonn

@optonline.net
said by NJxxxJon:

It might even have to do with being what type of vehicle and year.

I doubt it. There's nothing in the Private Inspection Facility manual about the stars, nor is there any way to specify the number of stars when ordering stickers, which cost $1 each.

NS4683

join:2000-08-25
South Amboy, NJ
kudos:1
reply to PX Eliezer7
I noticed that, too, when I had my car inspected last week at the DMV facility in Randolph. My inspection was due in April, so I'm a little late. My sticker expires 4/2014 and has 2 stars.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Mine also expires 4/2014 and I have just one star. As noted, it was a private facility, and it was a reinspection.

Believe me, that one star is a commentary on my car.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by PX Eliezer7:

Believe me, that one star is a commentary on my car.

lol

If you get an answer, I hope you post it. It appears the stars are not yet in alignment to solve the mystery.