Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Bundle Browbeating...

Of course, practically nobody in their right mind will actually pay these prices, which are outrageous. This is TWC's marketing machine driving people into bundles with outrageous a-la-carte pricing for broadband that makes their bundled service promotions look downright cheap in comparison.

"Road Runner" has been dead in WNY for probably close to a year now. It hasn't shown up on their regional promotions/advertising for a very long time and CSRs talk about "broadband," "Internet," or "HSI."

Turbo used to be $10 above standard, 30/5 $20 and 50/5 around $50 more. The light tiers are generally ignored in their marketing and I've never heard a CSR talk about them unless a customer asks.

What this pricing model does is gut the Turbo value proposition, if it prices at a $20 premium over standard. That is going to be a high hurdle for a lot of people, even with the minor speed changes. If they leave it at $9.95-$10 over standard as part of a bundle enhancement, it will sell. TWC's own financial reporting shows consistent interest in turbo adds for new customers, but that won't be that way for long if they double the price for it. I predict marketing promos will continue to slash this price downwards, especially for new customers.

All of this pricing continues the usual cable marketing trick that dumps on standalone broadband customers who are foolish enough to pay the regular price.

Time Warner customers can indefinitely avoid that by bouncing between 6-month Earthlink and 1-year TWC Internet promo pricing, which has been locked at $29.99 for standard service for at least three years in many markets.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

Yep. There are other discounts too, though. I just ordered standalone, standard internet in the LA area for my Mom. It was $44.95/month, $39.95/month if she agreed to use autopay.

I have a feeling the increased price jumps between the tiers is leading up to bigger "discounts" for capped pricing.

--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by djrobx:

Yep. There are other discounts too, though. I just ordered standalone, standard internet in the LA area for my Mom. It was $44.95/month, $39.95/month if she agreed to use autopay.

I have a feeling the increased price jumps between the tiers is leading up to bigger "discounts" for capped pricing.

Only $44.95? I have to pay $52.99 per month, but modem is free since I am an old subscriber. Also, I don't use autopay. I am east of L.A.

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19

1 edit
reply to Dampier

Customer certainly can bounce, but will probably pay the $2.50 modem lease fee with Earthlink. Earthlink only has Earthlink Max, which was 15/1, not sure if it was expanded to 20/2, comparable to Turbo. When switching back to RR, if doing with a representative, the modem rental fee normally applies.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

Very true. Elink does NOT get powerboost in most areas nor anything above 15/1. If you can even get Earthlink in your area. NEO/WPA Elink is VERY VERY limited in being able to sign up. Especially if you're in an old Adelphia area.