fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

Still rocking SB5100

Comcast can't even saturate my old SB5100 here in Atlanta. I'm supposed to get 12/2 service but it's more like 8/1 on a good day. I'll buy a D3 modem when they actually can provide good service... maybe by 2020 or so.
CSD8086
join:2004-03-12
US

1 recommendation

CSD8086

?

You may very well be getting 8/1 on a good day *because* of your SB5100. Buying a D3 modem will provide you with bonded downstream with four channels.

You're complaining about the traffic on a one-lane road. Move to the four lane road. While you don't intend on exceeding the speed limit, the additional lanes provide far more options...
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to fuziwuzi

to fuziwuzi
You'll still have a 250GB cap in 2020, so what's the point?
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to fuziwuzi

to fuziwuzi
maybe sooner then that try when all analog is turned off.

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

mix to fuziwuzi

to fuziwuzi
If you owned a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, you would get the full speed of the service you paid for, because your connection will be balanced between multiple channels. Plenty of people on many different cable isp's have reported this.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to CSD8086

Premium Member

to CSD8086
said by CSD8086:

?

You may very well be getting 8/1 on a good day *because* of your SB5100. Buying a D3 modem will provide you with bonded downstream with four channels.

You're complaining about the traffic on a one-lane road. Move to the four lane road. While you don't intend on exceeding the speed limit, the additional lanes provide far more options...

So you're saying Comcast is advertising something they can't deliver. I'm promised 12/2 service WITH my SB5100 modem. The SB5100 is more than capable of delivering 12/2 service, I shouldn't have to spend more money for something I have no need.
fuziwuzi

fuziwuzi to mix

Premium Member

to mix
said by mix:

If you owned a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, you would get the full speed of the service you paid for, because your connection will be balanced between multiple channels. Plenty of people on many different cable isp's have reported this.

Again, Comcast is promising me 12/2 service WITH the SB5100 modem I already have. So, no, I am not getting the service I pay for and am promised and I shouldn't have to purchase new equipment to get what they promise with my present equipment.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to fuziwuzi

to fuziwuzi
Hey now, he was just offering a solution to your problem. Spreading your bandwidth over multiple channels tends to give you more bandwidth, alleviating the low speed issue you have now...but that would reduce the number of things you could complain about

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to fuziwuzi

MVM

to fuziwuzi
said by fuziwuzi:

Again, Comcast is promising me 12/2 service WITH the SB5100 modem I already have. So, no, I am not getting the service I pay for and am promised and I shouldn't have to purchase new equipment to get what they promise with my present equipment.

Remember the key words: UP TO
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

1 recommendation

talz13 to fuziwuzi

to fuziwuzi
said by fuziwuzi:

said by mix:

You're complaining like you are sitting behind a router that can handle the traffic, but the 400mhz Pentium II that you're browsing with isn't cutting it on the data rate.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

said by talz13:

said by fuziwuzi:

said by mix:

You're complaining like you are sitting behind a router that can handle the traffic, but the 400mhz Pentium II that you're browsing with isn't cutting it on the data rate.

Sorry, but I have a Linksys E3000 running Tomato and an i7 3.4GHz with 8GB DDR3. Comcast just provides crappy service. It didn't used to, a year ago I got great speeds. Even discounting Powerboost, I would regularly get the full 12/2 speeds. But, after their "upgrade" to my neighborhood, speed declined. Calls to tech support get nothing, as long as they can ping my modem they don't care. My cellphone is faster, and some days I do tether to the phone if I really want to get something downloaded quickly.
fuziwuzi

fuziwuzi to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

Hey now, he was just offering a solution to your problem. Spreading your bandwidth over multiple channels tends to give you more bandwidth, alleviating the low speed issue you have now...but that would reduce the number of things you could complain about

If you weren't getting what you pay for, no doubt you'd complain as well.

Lark3po
Premium Member
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL

Lark3po to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
said by andyross:

said by fuziwuzi:

Remember the key words: UP TO

+1
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to fuziwuzi

to fuziwuzi
I'd also do something about it

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

said by iansltx:

I'd also do something about it

I do. I call Comcast and take up time with their tech support every week. They should not advertise what they cannot deliver. Why don't they come right out and tell me they cannot deliver their service reliably unless I obtain a new device? Why do they repeatedly tell me my device is fully supported? I guess I'm just not as eager to bend over and spread 'em as some other people.

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

C_Chipperson

Premium Member

A D3 modem would likely help you out as it spreads the load across multiple channels. Maybe phone support people don't know to tell you this, but you should know this as it is posted on these forums several times a day!

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

said by C_Chipperson:

A D3 modem would likely help you out as it spreads the load across multiple channels. Maybe phone support people don't know to tell you this, but you should know this as it is posted on these forums several times a day!

So you're saying Comcast lies when they say they fully support the SB5100 for their service. When they "upgraded" my neighborhood, I was told there was no need for new equipment, that I was fully supported unless I wanted to subscribe to one of the newer high-speed packages. But, I guess that was yet another lie from Comcast. They continually try to foist their modem rental upon me, I guess this is done intentionally to force people to just give up and ream them for more money each month.

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

mix

We gave you the solution to your problem. Does anyone really care if you don't believe us and would rather rant about Comcast? Probably not.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

said by mix:

We gave you the solution to your problem. Does anyone really care if you don't believe us and would rather rant about Comcast? Probably not.

No, you did not provide a solution. You provided a work-around that doesn't address the actual issue. There is a difference.

Joe232
@comcast.net

Joe232 to fuziwuzi

Anon

to fuziwuzi
You don't want to here it: "Your modem is the problem." "You'd get that speed if your modem quit dropping the packets." "It's an analog issue, not the speed of the modem. But a faster modem can make up for it."

I had one that wasn't even doing 256Kb downloads or staying connected for more than 10 minutes and then took it in and got another with the same firmware revision and model number. I got speeds of 15Mb+ when downloading and a rock-solid connection. Modems can die or misbehave due to analog (read:RF/radio) problems inside the black box.

The modem has a maximum rate that it can handle and this varies even among the exact same model and firmware. If a modem is capable of 5Mb/s on each channel and can handle 4 channels, then it'll get the promised 20Mb/s but just barely and maybe lost packets until dropped to 15Mb/s. A modem that can handle only 2 channels but 6Mb/s each will get only 12Mb/s downloads even though other modems with the same design will get anywhere from 8 to 20 as they age. Yes, radios get old and some are well beyond specs while others are just barely in.
Joe232

Joe232 to fuziwuzi

Anon

to fuziwuzi
I think the point trying to be made is that your modem is the 400MHz Pentium II. It's the bottleneck. Most ISP's won't even allow them on higher-speed plans precisely because of your issue. Or they make you acknowledge that the older modem might not even be able to handle that speed stably. I don't mean to be mean but either the modem or the speed tier would be gone if it was me.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

said by Joe232 :

I think the point trying to be made is that your modem is the 400MHz Pentium II. It's the bottleneck. Most ISP's won't even allow them on higher-speed plans precisely because of your issue. Or they make you acknowledge that the older modem might not even be able to handle that speed stably. I don't mean to be mean but either the modem or the speed tier would be gone if it was me.

I'm not asking for one of the higher speed plans that requires a DOCSIS3 modem. I simply want the service I've had for several years now, that up until their "upgrade" worked just fine. Comcast continues to sell the 12/2 service and continues to tell me it only requires a DOCSIS2 modem, and continues to say that the SB5100 is a supported modem for the service level which I subscribe. If their service actually does require a DOCSIS3 modem, then they should inform me of that and stop lying about their service. Is it too much to ask for the company to be honest?