uniqs

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277

Premium Member

Former Insight Customer

I am glad I dumped Insight when Time Warner bought them out and switched to Uverse.

My bill with Insight was already $170 with all 3 services and no premium movies. My bill with Uverse is $130 with Showtime, Starz, TMC, and Encore with tons more HD.

I knew once they took over prices would go through the roof.

fghfghfgh
@rr.com

fghfghfgh

Anon

Easy choice

I don't know many people that don't hate Time Warner.
These idiots hiked internet $20 recently=---now another $5. They are making it easy to go FIOS.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to Bamafan2277

to Bamafan2277

Re: Former Insight Customer

I can't see any advantage. With uverse you get what? Shared with TV 12, 18, 24 Mbps (if you are lucky and close to the vrad) internet? With TWC you can order 50/5 Mbps.

What happens when your uverse promotion expires? Go up to $180/mo?

Uverse has 250Gb cap TWC is uncapped.

How about uverse's 'tons more HD' picture quality? Do you notice the severe macroblocking and pixelation?

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

For TV, it depends on the area. TWC TV is really miserable in my neck of the woods. Our TWC still has full analog and does not have SDV, so they've crammed a weak HD lineup into remaining space, and PQ is poor.

TWC's 50mbps is nice but overpriced. The U-verse 24mbps package works pretty well. It does share with TV, but I didn't find that to be annoying in practice. All my TV streams were only active during prime time, when I was usually either eating or watching TV.

AT&T's lower tier internet packages are a lot cheaper. For people who don't care about premium performance it can definitely be a better choice. Having alternatives is never a bad thing.
etaadmin
united state

etaadmin

said by djrobx:

For TV, it depends on the area. TWC TV is really miserable in my neck of the woods. Our TWC still has full analog and does not have SDV, so they've crammed a weak HD lineup into remaining space, and PQ is poor.

I look at it this way, the picture quality with uverse is generally (globally?) bad the picture quality with TWC in some very small areas (although I've never seen one) have been reported as bad but most of TWC's footprint is good to excellent.

TWC's 50mbps is nice but overpriced. The U-verse 24mbps package works pretty well. It does share with TV, but I didn't find that to be annoying in practice. All my TV streams were only active during prime time, when I was usually either eating or watching TV.

It is all in the eye of the beholder, I'd rather pay more for twice the speed and no caps. What's uverse's shared with TV 24Mbps price? Half of TWC's twice as fast 50/5 Mbps?

AT&T's lower tier internet packages are a lot cheaper. For people who don't care about premium performance it can definitely be a better choice. Having alternatives is never a bad thing.

That might be true for their ADSL products which I seriously doubt. I recently helped a friend who was paying close to $80/mo for at&t's 384Kbps (lite?) + landline switch to TWC cable. The difference between the cheapest tiers is peanuts not worth considering.

I agree competition is always good. Competition is what started all this cable revolution (DOCSIS3.0) the fear of Verizon's FiOS is a good motivator not so much for the fear of at&t's fttn uverse.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

some very small areas

... Like the 2nd largest city in the US? LOL. Go onto TWC Los Angeles and check out our HD lineups sometime. It does vary by zip code due to the former Comcast, former Adelphia, and legacy TWC differences, but I haven't seen a single area around here that has anything close to what TWC offers in say, NYC.

It is all in the eye of the beholder, I'd rather pay more for twice the speed and no caps. What's uverse's shared with TV 24Mbps price? Half of TWC's twice as fast 50/5 Mbps?

I'm a 50/5 subscriber, so you don't have to sell it to me. I'm a much stronger supporter now that TWC's execs are promising to continue offering unlimited (at least for now).

What I mean is that AT&T has better low cost coverage for lighter users - $14.95 budget DSL and $35 "elite" 6mbps which is good enough for most purposes.

I agree competition is always good. Competition is what started all this cable revolution (DOCSIS3.0) the fear of Verizon's FiOS is a good motivator not so much for the fear of at&t's fttn uverse.

I don't think they're "afraid" of U-verse, but as soon as U-verse came into town, TWC pushed through upgrades to 15/2 and 10/1 from the old 10/1, 6/512k tiers. Areas not serviced by either FiOS or U-verse were stuck at the old speeds for much longer. AT&T's 24/3 did best TWC's 15/2 tier for quite a while.

We can go on about U-verse's technical limitations for days (and I'd largely agree with you!) but U-verse is VERY popular around here. My wifi is full of 2WIRExxx routers and we're always hearing from neighbors how much they love their new U-verse system. I think this is largely because their TV software beats the crap out of what TWC offers here (Comcast's old iGuide from 2004).
etaadmin
united state

etaadmin

I failed to mention that former 'other company' territories can and often do have problems but that is not the norm across the board it is rather the exception.

I've never seen a real $14.95 budget ADSL price, I've seen one year promotions for 14.95 plus the telephone line which after taxes and fees come to about the same as what TWC offers. For uverse (VDSL2) I've never seen low prices (after promotions).

We can go on about U-verse's technical limitations for days (and I'd largely agree with you!) but U-verse is VERY popular around here. My wifi is full of 2WIRExxx routers and we're always hearing from neighbors how much they love their new U-verse system. I think this is largely because their TV software beats the crap out of what TWC offers here (Comcast's old iGuide from 2004).

Funny the very popular neighbor that convinced many of us to switch to uverse is no longer popular. I guess he made a lot of money (sold us for 20 pieces of silver) switching our neighborhood to uverse. I agree that uverse's UI is very pretty and shiny but most of us don't watch TV for the pretty UI. Needless to say uverse is not very popular in our neighborhood as most of us switched back to TWC and in the last year to DOCSIS3.0 50/5Mbps.

If you read this link »ACSI Rankings: FiOS TV Remains Top Ranked TV Service [9] comments and this chart »/r0/do ··· b/TV.JPG you can see a big drop in uverse satisfaction from 72 to 68 (-5.6%) I'm sure that those numbers were even higher back in 2007-2009 (the years some of us had uverse) once people find out that uverse is not fiber that they were lied to and watch uverse's horrible picture quality its game over. Those uverse satisfaction numbers will continue to decline.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

1 recommendation

OSUGoose to Bamafan2277

to Bamafan2277
Hey, Ya know TWC hasn't even touched the Insight stuff right? Their still operating as separate companies, bills still say Insight, still Insight vans, Still Insight logo on Guide, still Insight name on building. But you felt the need to bash TWC anyways, classy.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

they still have insightbb.com