how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

badsykes1

join:2004-12-08
reply to aryoba

Re: [HELP] Cisco 1811 is crashing

The problem is more complicated because i made a short on the PCB by reversing polarity of the fan cables..Just buying a new fan will not solve the problem, it will make the router reset itself instantly and the fan will not spin..
The dilema was switching brands from Cisco to Juniper ... I see on this site there is not Juniper section..The only resource i found about juniper is their own forum..It feels not so supported by the community..

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4

said by badsykes1:

The problem is more complicated because i made a short on the PCB by reversing polarity of the fan cables.

Reversing polarity is definitely a no no

You can always get another 1811 router off ebay. Or you can switch to Juniper SSG 5 (ScreenOS). SSG 5 with unlimited user license these days is cheap since ScreenOS is going away due to the fact that Juniper's plan is to use JUNOS for their firewall product by starting the SRX line.

said by badsykes1:

The dilemma was switching brands from Cisco to Juniper ... I see on this site there is not Juniper section..The only resource i found about juniper is their own forum..It feels not so supported by the community..

I know there are Juniper guys and gals lurks around this forum, so you won't be alone. Furthermore there should be no problem in tackling ScreenOS if you feel you are savvy-enough Cisco person and has at least networking concept understanding.

badsykes1

join:2004-12-08

1 edit

I am from Europe and i want to know if it's worth exposing myself on Juniper platforms because not many ISP's deploy Juniper toys..
Cisco have many academies around the world and CCNA people are higher in number than Juniper people so even if Juniper have a better deal many will still go with Cisco because they can't find personell prepared for Juniper..
Regards,

The current situation of the router:

Router uptime is 2 days, 21 hours, 54 minutes
System returned to ROM by error - a Software forced crash, PC 0xFFFFFFFF at 12:0 1:17 EEST Wed May 2 2012
System image file is "flash:c181x-advipservicesk9-mz.124-24.T.bin"

aryoba
Premium,MVM

Juniper was at first only popular in ISP world but then it has been penetrating Enterprise market for years and has been competing with Cisco head to head. I know at least one member of this forum is savvy enough around ScreenOS and he is from London, UK. So I'm sure UK has been Juniper market

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to badsykes1

Juniper is very popular among big ISPs. I remember taking a walk through a very large DC in San Jose California, and I reckon I saw more Juniper kit in there than Cisco.

Even if you dont "switch" from Cisco to Juniper, being multi skilled in multiple vendors can only be good for you when it comes to job hunting. That might be the edge you have over the other guys...

I picked up my first Juniper router back in 2008 or so, just a lowly J2300, and compared to traditional IOS, JunOS blows Cisco way out of the water, especially from a configuration point of view.

If you want something new and cheap, the SRX line is quite competitively priced. I picked up a SRX100B for a little over AUD$500, brand new. It runs all of the latest JunOS versions, whereas my J2300 is limited to 9.3. Newer J series (like the J2320, basically anything thats not a Jx300) also run the latest images but are a bit more expensive.

Still, its good for getting a foot in the door, and I still use my J2300 in my lab. Looking at picking up an M7i or two soon, logical systems are a really intriguing feature, allowing you to run up to 15 individual routers on a single box, very much like a VM. Good for building complex topologies without the mess!

aryoba
Premium,MVM

said by TomS_:

I still use my J2300 in my lab.

I wonder how loud the fan noise is. Is it like the old Cisco Catalyst 3550-24 port switch? Or maybe it is more like Cisco 3725 router?

said by TomS_:

Looking at picking up an M7i or two soon, logical systems are a really intriguing feature, allowing you to run up to 15 individual routers on a single box, very much like a VM. Good for building complex topologies without the mess!

M7i? Compared to SRX100B you bought, the M7i probably costs 4 times more; still a lot of money for some of us not to mention the fan noise

If you want to play around with the virtualization, you can just buy another SRX100 since JUNOS uses the same technology between the routers, SRX firewalls, and EX switches.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

The fan noise from the J2300 is a bit of a problem. Its got a very high pitched whiney fan in it, and it seems to like speeding up and slowing down a lot so it gets a little annoying after a while. I tried running it with the cover off, but no difference. :-/

But since its a generic x86 (Celeron in fact) based box with a run of the mill 3-wire fan, I could potentially find a slower speed quieter fan to clip on top of the heat sink. Maybe even one with blinky lights to "pimp my Juniper." :-P

As for the SRX instead of M7i, the low end SRX's dont do logical systems, which is the feature I am after - support starts from the SRX3400 it seems, according to this document I am readin. You also need licenses to run them on SRX but not on the M series.

Im looking at co-lo'ing them at work in the comms room instead of home, so I dont think the fan noise will be an issue. That way I can run them all the time, with console access. Unfortunately only console access via the corporate console server on the corporate network, but hey, cant have everything.

aryoba
Premium,MVM

said by TomS_:

The fan noise from the J2300 is a bit of a problem. Its got a very high pitched whiney fan in it, and it seems to like speeding up and slowing down a lot so it gets a little annoying after a while. I tried running it with the cover off, but no difference. :-/

This fan noise issue is one of the reason why I prefer to have SRX 100 or 210 instead of J series as home lab equipment. All Juniper JUNOS features are pretty much condensed into the same JUNOS code. So regardless of the appliance, you still have the same thing. As example, you could mock up L2VPN on SRX 100 unlike Cisco where you need to have ASR series to do so