Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to avp77

Premium Member

to avp77

Re: Distributel now offering Huawei MT130U as DOCSIS3 option

I've been thinking about this, why would Rogers allow something like this , an unknown entity, on their network, yet not allow us to use the Motorola 61xx Docsis 3 modems?

It makes no sense at all.

ohmer
join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC

ohmer

said by elwoodblues:

I've been thinking about this, why would Rogers allow something like this , an unknown entity, on their network, yet not allow us to use the Motorola 61xx Docsis 3 modems?

I'm sure Acanac paid big money to be able to use this modem (it's in the tariff).
avp77
join:2010-07-10

avp77 to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

According to this piece, Huawei just opened big offices in Ontario, maybe that had an influence?:

»www.cbc.ca/news/politics ··· ada.html

(Though I don't agree with the level of fear-mongering in the article)
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

rogers is constantly spying and they even started off and i think may still use American security systems and people. SO what you think they are honest and wont abuse stuff right?
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

yet not allow us to use the Motorola 61xx Docsis 3 modems?

Yet there are tons of Motorola 61xx modems in use on Rogers network.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

said by elwoodblues:

yet not allow us to use the Motorola 61xx Docsis 3 modems?

Yet there are tons of Motorola 61xx modems in use on Rogers network.

I know but they refuse to provision new ones... but I'll wait till the 5100 dies (and/or a speed increase exceeds the modem's capability).
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by elwoodblues:

I know but they refuse to provision new ones... but I'll wait till the 5100 dies (and/or a speed increase exceeds the modem's capability).

They're doing so because the modems do not have the appropriate firmware revision.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

said by elwoodblues:

They're doing so because the modems do not have the appropriate firmware revision.

They pushed the firmware out to all the 6120's quite a while ago.

Fergless
Premium Member
join:2008-04-19
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Fergless

Premium Member

quote:
That's correct, however I don't think they will push 1.0.6.1 to anything not on their network already. I got mine, like you say quite some time ago.

Edited Firmware
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by 34764170:

Yes, but that does not update hardware not connected to the Rogers network at the times they did push the firmware updates. They did firmware pushes as they were rolling out downstream channel bonding. They stopped provisioning modems with the older firmware when they started rolling out upstream channel bonding.

The changelog between the firmware that is/was commonly available as shipped with SB6120 gear on the market and what Rogers has pushed included bug fixes for channel bonding and IPv6 I noted, among quite a number of other bug fixes.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

said by elwoodblues:

said by 34764170:

Yes, but that does not update hardware not connected to the Rogers network at the times they did push the firmware updates. They did firmware pushes as they were rolling out downstream channel bonding. They stopped provisioning modems with the older firmware when they started rolling out upstream channel bonding.

The changelog between the firmware that is/was commonly available as shipped with SB6120 gear on the market and what Rogers has pushed included bug fixes for channel bonding and IPv6 I noted, among quite a number of other bug fixes.

They provision any SB6120, there is no issue there. If you have a problem, and you admit you have an off FW, then they will refuse to do any work on your line until you "fix" your modem.

I believe they are still pushing FW updates to SB6120s. I think it was set on automatic, and never revisited. However they do not upgrade SB6121s.

If the FW version of your SB612X lis causing you trouble, send me a pm.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Teddy Boom:

They provision any SB6120, there is no issue there. If you have a problem, and you admit you have an off FW, then they will refuse to do any work on your line until you "fix" your modem.

I believe they are still pushing FW updates to SB6120s. I think it was set on automatic, and never revisited. However they do not upgrade SB6121s.

If the FW version of your SB612X lis causing you trouble, send me a pm.

6121 is gone to, now it's time for the 6180!
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by elwoodblues:

6121 is gone to, now it's time for the 6180!

No, it is not.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to funny0

Premium Member

to funny0
said by funny0:

rogers is constantly spying and they even started off and i think may still use American security systems and people. SO what you think they are honest and wont abuse stuff right?

Anyone with a rogers.com or sympatico.ca e-mail address already has their mail routing into the US before it is sent back to Canada and their next-door neighbour.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

They provision any SB6120, there is no issue there.

To be clear I don't know if they're really not provisioning modems with the older firmware but just going based on the very few people claiming this is so. But I do understand why they might be strict about particular firmware revisions due to bug fixes.

Fergless
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Fergless

Premium Member

They won't provision SB6120's without 1.0.6.1 firmware on Acanac/Distributel's network. Absolutely certain about that.

Corrected Firmware version
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by Fergless:

They won't provision SB6120's without 1.6.1 firmware on Acanac/Distributel's network. Absolutely certain about that.

I see the TSI website mentions particular firmware revisions for all of the modems which it did not before channel bonding was being rolled out. What you have said does not surprise me.

I've heard that even if a modem were to be provisioned on the Rogers network that was not compliant firmware wise that Rogers will eventually notice it and bring it to the attention of the TPIA provider. Since they are able to see the firmware revisions of everything provisioned on their network.
taytong888
join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON

taytong888 to Fergless

to Fergless
Re: Motorola SB6120/6121 cable modems

Is there any way for those customers who bought their own modems to download Rogers' required firmware versions (e.g. 1.6.1) from Motorola or the Internet?

In this day and age, it seems Rogers is putting up a lot of "restrictions of trade" against customers who are bringing $$$$ to the company!

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to Fergless

Premium Member

to Fergless
Fergless, you are doing your customers a disservice by being so picky. I'm pretty sure that Rogers is still pushing firmware updates, so the customer will be on 1.0.6.1 soon enough anyway. An easy thing to test if you don't think 'pretty sure' is good enough. Meanwhile, there is only one firmware revision that actually causes any real problems, so even if the firmware the customer is running isn't "official" it will be fine.
Teddy Boom

Teddy Boom to taytong888

Premium Member

to taytong888
said by taytong888:

Is there any way for those customers who bought their own modems to download Rogers' required firmware versions (e.g. 1.6.1) from Motorola or the Internet?

Cable modem firmware is not typically end user upgradable. I upgrade them with a JTAG (or more precisely an SPI flash programmer). $10 if you are interested, but I'm downtown in Toronto.

Fergless
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

3 edits

Fergless to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
The carriers will not push the firmware. I was really concerned that people might go ahead and buy the SB6120 and get it refused when it comes to provisioning.

But hey ..... you may have some more customers.

Correction I meant 1.0.6.1 firmware earlier.
Fergless

Fergless to taytong888

Premium Member

to taytong888
said by taytong888:

Re: Motorola SB6120/6121 cable modems

In this day and age, it seems Rogers is putting up a lot of "restrictions of trade" against customers who are bringing $$$$ to the company!

When we first started using the SB6120's there was no problem getting the firmware pushed from the carrier, they just suddenly stopped doing it though. Teddy Boom may be able to help you out.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by Fergless:

When we first started using the SB6120's there was no problem getting the firmware pushed from the carrier, they just suddenly stopped doing it though. Teddy Boom may be able to help you out.

Hmm... Maybe some CMTSes are configured differently from others, or maybe Rogers announced they would stop but never actually did, or maybe things changed in April/May? I know for sure that Rogers was pushing updated firmware to SB6120s as recently as the end of February this year:
»Re: Someone post latest sb6120 firmware?

Fergless
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Fergless

Premium Member

They stopped just prior to Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:27 pm or thereabouts when we first became aware of it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

So I'm poking around the Distributel website, and this little tid bit caught my eye.
quote:
All modems come with a 12-month manufacturer's warranty
I wonder how hard and how long it will take to get to China.

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

It does not work that way. We get a certain amount of extra units directly from the factory knowing that some will fail. If yours ends up failing we simply ship you out a new from our local supply.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Canaca:

It does not work that way. We get a certain amount of extra units directly from the factory knowing that some will fail. If yours ends up failing we simply ship you out a new from our local supply.

I was being facetious, I figured you guys would cover it.

It reminded me of a place when I was a kid, they were selling all these bikes from Eastern Europe, in a temporary storefront, and they all had a manufacturers warranty. This was a fly by night type of store, selling off a boatload of inventory and then closing up shop.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to Fergless

Premium Member

to Fergless
said by Fergless:

They stopped just prior to Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:27 pm or thereabouts when we first became aware of it.

This just posted in the Teksavvy forum:
»Re: [Cable] TekSavvy Won't Register My SB6121

It would seem that as of April Rogers was still pushing firmware to SB6120s.

Fergless
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Fergless

Premium Member

Yeah ... see that... wonder why Acanac got denied earlier?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by Fergless:

Yeah ... see that... wonder why Acanac got denied earlier?

This cable modem thing is.. political I mean, the idea that they upgraded the SB6120 but never the SB6121.. that is already the most absurd thing.. Nothing surprises me about the topic.