uniqs
share rss forum feed

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to xirian

Re: [OOL] PC with Linux OS

said by xirian:

For a senior I think even chrome os would work well if it wasn't for the fact it only comes on laptops. If she is currently just using msn tv then the chrome browser with common pages/webmail on the screen when you open it / load a new tab would probably work fine.

Official ChromeOS is only on a few devices, however there's always »chromeos.hexxeh.net/
With the new version you can have bookmarks show up as icons on your desktop.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

FS613
Premium
join:2002-11-18
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
said by MxxCon:

said by xirian:

For a senior, I think even Chrome OS would work well, if it wasn't for the fact it only comes on laptops. If she is currently just using MSN TV, then the Chrome browser with common pages/webmail on the screen when you open it / load a new tab would probably work fine.

Official ChromeOS is only on a few devices; however, there's always »chromeos.hexxeh.net/
With the new version, you can have bookmarks show up as icons on your desktop.

I looked the web site »chromeos.hexxeh.net/

1) Does this mean that Vanilla is something that you run to put the ChromeOS onto a USB drive,

and then you boot from that USB drive on a Windows PC, to get it to run as though it were a ChromeBook?

2) Is the Windows OS permanently overwritten by the Chrome OS, or does the Chrome OS just boot from the USB drive,

and if the USB drive is removed, and the PC is rebooted, it goes back to Windows?

Thank you.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
Vanilla and Lime are just different compilations of open source Chromium OS.
Chromium OS to Chrome OS is what Chromium to Chrome.
Vanilla vs Lime, one of those has support for a bit more different device drivers since ChromeOS officially runs on only 3 different Chromebooks.
You write that image on USB and just boot from it. Everything is self contained on that drive and ready to go. It does not affect your Windows install at all. If you want to, you can find instructions online how to install it on hdd and dualboot.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]