how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wolfsmane

join:2003-05-01
Aiken, SC

Atlantic Broadband speeds

I have ABB unleashed internet service, 40mbs down.

Whenever I run a speed test here, or at other speed test sites, I never get close to having the advertised speeds. Most of the time it is showing less than the advertised speed. A lot of times it tests at below 10mbs.

EVERY time I run the test at ABB test site, it ALWAYS shows it as being above the 40mbs, usually around 42 - 44mbs. But, NEVER below those speeds.

I do not believe ABB tests are accurate, since I have done them during times when I can tell how slow my connection is. Like during the 4pm - 8pm times when everyone is home and on their computers. But even then ABB site shows I am maintaining a speed OVER 40mbs.

ScrawnyB

join:2004-05-18
Carlisle, PA
kudos:1

That sounds like network congestion on ABB's peering providers, or your node.

I always speedtest to Washington, DC, as it's one of the closer datacenter/exchanges. I always get a solid 40.83/3.20Mbps here.

Can you post your modem stats anyways?

EnerJi

join:2011-02-19
Miami Beach, FL

Click for full size
Modem Stats
Like the OP, I regularly get FAR below my rated speeds (30 Mb/3Mb) on speedtest.net.

I just tried a test, and it's actually much better than it's been recently. On speedtest.net, I got 20/3, about 66% of my rated downstream. On the »speedtest.atlanticbb.net/ site, I got just about my rated speeds: 29.24/3.18.

My modem stats are attached. I'm using a Motorola SB6120, running SB612X-1.0.3.3-SCM00-NOSH firmware, and boot version PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1.

ScrawnyB

Carlisle, PA

Your stats look excellent.

I must ask though... where are you that ABB has 30/3?

The main packages here are 1M/512K, 8M/1M, 20M/2M, and 40/3M.

wolfsmane

Aiken, SC
reply to ScrawnyB

Sorry for my lateness, was out of town.

Please, tell me how to acquire these signal stats.

EnerJi

join:2011-02-19
Miami Beach, FL
reply to ScrawnyB

It's the unleashed tier, in Miami Beach. I believe that package is 40/3 in other areas. There must be capacity challenges with the local plant which caused them to lower the tier.

Oddly enough, I'm seeing a max of about 7 Mbps down on my Macbook Pro, even directly connected to the modem via Ethernet (with no router in the middle), and even in safe mode.

I plugged in a Windows XP laptop, and pulled down 30 Mbps in my first speedtest. Definitely something odd going on that I need to look into further.

ScrawnyB

Carlisle, PA
reply to wolfsmane

said by EnerJi:

It's the unleashed tier, in Miami Beach. I believe that package is 40/3 in other areas. There must be capacity challenges with the local plant which caused them to lower the tier.

Oddly enough, I'm seeing a max of about 7 Mbps down on my Macbook Pro, even directly connected to the modem via Ethernet (with no router in the middle), and even in safe mode.

I plugged in a Windows XP laptop, and pulled down 30 Mbps in my first speedtest. Definitely something odd going on that I need to look into further.

Okay, I understand now. You're really on Express then.

Express is 30/3 in your area.
Unleashed is 75/5
and you also have Peak at 110/5 (lol bad up/down ratio).

I highly doubt it's issues with your local plant, because they're able to offer these speeds down there.

said by wolfsmane:

Sorry for my lateness, was out of town.

Please, tell me how to acquire these signal stats.

Generally its on your modem's web interface (normally at »192.168.100.1/ )

wolfsmane

Aiken, SC

Thanks, but one more dumb question. How do I post them here like EnerJi did? I can't right click and save image of the stats.

ScrawnyB

Carlisle, PA

It's not an image, it's text.

You can either copy/paste the text... or you can use the Snipping Tool in Windows 7 (or alt+printscreen and paste into MS Paint in other versions of Windows), to create the image.

Then you can attach that image.

wolfsmane

Aiken, SC

Click for full size
Thanks scrawnyb !

Is this the section you need?

wolfsmane

Aiken, SC

Click for full size
This too?

ScrawnyB

Carlisle, PA

Your upstream signal is out of whack, almost as bad/possibly worse than mine.

Anything above 47-49dBmV upstream starts pushing the line towards synchronization issues, and causes T3/T4 timeout errors.

Are you getting a lot of modem reboots/T3 timeout messages? I see just a few in those screenshots you pasted.

You might want to check your internal wiring. Also if possible, directly connect your modem to your outside run to compare the signals.

wolfsmane

Aiken, SC
reply to wolfsmane

I don't ever see any messages.

I DO experience times when I try to get online and nothing happens, until I reset the modem and router - unplugged them, then replug them. I can go for a month sometimes, then other times a week. No rhyme or reason to the madness.

I will try to get the straight connection to the outside run soon.

Thanks.

NetLarry

join:2007-03-18
Johnstown, PA

One thing to watch for: if you connect the modem to the main run (the drop), there may be too much signal and overload the modem. The more splitters on the line, the greater the signal difference when bypassed.

The suggested levels (per Motorola) would be:
Upstream power: 35 to 55 dB (with 45 being optimal)
Downstream power: -10 to +10 dB (with 0 being optimal)
SNR: the higher the better, below 28 dB is cause for attention