All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to BliZZardX

to BliZZardX

Re: World IPv6 Day

What does IPV6 do for me, as a customer ?

Chuckcar OTT
@teksavvy.com

Chuckcar OTT

Anon

It could still get you some free binary newsgroups.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly to kovy7

to kovy7
ipv6 day was a year ago

openvz_ca
join:2008-12-13
canada

1 recommendation

openvz_ca

said by Pauly:

ipv6 day was a year ago

This is different than ipv6 day. Participants in this launch will be turning on IPv6 permanently, not just testing it for one day.

@OP, there's much more presence for IPv6 enabled hosting providers. You just gotta know where to look

As for Bell... They are advertising a /32 IPv6 prefix (2001:4958::/32). Maybe they are just working on infrastrucuture.

The big beef with going IPv6 isn't really the networking aspect, it's mostly the software issues. There's a lot of legacy stuff that doesn't support IPv6 (and I'm sure Bell has got a lot of custom software in their network that needs updating).

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

1 recommendation

sm5w2 to kovy7

Premium Member

to kovy7
> What does IPV6 do for me, as a customer ?

The reader will note that no answer has yet been given for that question.

I for one like the idea that I can obtain a new IPv4 IP address when ever I desire by software disconnect / reconnect command given to my router. As a residential broadband subscriber, I would not want to ever be handicapped by being assigned a static IP or subnet (regardless if IPv4 or v6).

And here's a question I've never seen a coherent answer for: When someone with an IPv6 address hits my IPv4 SMTP or HTTP server at $dayjob, what IP address will I see in my server's logs?

file
join:2011-03-29
Riverview, NB

1 recommendation

file

As a customer that depends on what type of customer you are. For a standard residential user not much. You gain access to IPv6-only hosts. For a more advanced user you get a block of addresses which you can assign as you see fit, allowing potential direct access to systems (provided firewall rules allow it) from the outside. You also get to drop the use of 'internal' addresses because you can just use the same address for accessing externally as internally.

Your comment about being assigned a static IP or subnet is true, to an extent. If you are assigned a subnet you can change your address to anything within the subnet as you want. Is it the same as getting a new DHCP lease from your ISP? No, but your address is still different.

As for your question about what you see if an IPv6 address hits your IPv4 server... well, that depends.

If the system is dual stack then they will also have an IPv4 address. If the system is IPv6-only then something will be doing the conversion (something at the ISP maybe) and you will see their IPv4 address.

I'd like to pose this question though - what would people want to see happen instead of IPv6? The lack of addresses is a real eventual threat, so *something* has to occur.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to sm5w2

to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

And here's a question I've never seen a coherent answer for: When someone with an IPv6 address hits my IPv4 SMTP or HTTP server at $dayjob, what IP address will I see in my server's logs?

You won't since such a connection is not possible.

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned) to file

to file
said by file:

I'd like to pose this question though - what would people want to see happen instead of IPv6? The lack of addresses is a real eventual threat, so *something* has to occur.

The typical human response... shove their heads in the sand and pretend the problem does not exist. Wait until the very last second and then possibly come up with a solution and hope it'll work being implemented over night.

openvz_ca
canada

1 recommendation

openvz_ca to sm5w2

to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

> What does IPV6 do for me, as a customer ?

It allows you to do the exact same thing you already do, so that your children and childrens children will also be able to do it.
said by sm5w2:

The reader will note that no answer has yet been given for that question.

I for one like the idea that I can obtain a new IPv4 IP address when ever I desire by software disconnect / reconnect command given to my router. As a residential broadband subscriber, I would not want to ever be handicapped by being assigned a static IP or subnet (regardless if IPv4 or v6).

Explain to me how you are being handicapped by a static IP subnet? Unless you're doing malicious things, there's no handicap of being behind the same ip range each day.

In fact, it would make things easier for you if you want to connect to your home remotely for whatever reason (VPN) etc..
said by sm5w2:

You're asking for something that isn't possible, which leads me to believe that you don't know enough about IPv6 to understand the reason why it will eventually be needed.

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2

Premium Member

> > I would not want to ever be handicapped by being assigned a static IP or subnet
> > (regardless if IPv4 or v6).
>
> Explain to me how you are being handicapped by a static IP subnet?

I do a lot of free downloading from file lockers. I can hit them more often when I change my IP address between downloads.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by sm5w2:

I do a lot of free downloading from file lockers. I can hit them more often when I change my IP address between downloads.

This is an abusive use of their services that are against their terms of service and possibly the law. This is not a legitimate reason to need a static IP.

openvz_ca
canada

openvz_ca to sm5w2

to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

> > I would not want to ever be handicapped by being assigned a static IP or subnet
> > (regardless if IPv4 or v6).
>
> Explain to me how you are being handicapped by a static IP subnet?

I invite you to read the Number Resource Policy Manual (NRPM) »www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html

Those are the rules all North American providers must follow with regards to IP address assignments and management.

Your need for multiple different dynamic addresses on-demand is not justifiable.