spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Matt S
@spcsdns.net

Matt S

Anon

Virgin up'd my B2B throttle speed to 5GB's for $50 unlimited

Just for the record guys, I have had my MiFi2200 for about 6 months now, and although my dl speeds fluctuate up and down greatly, I'm kinda happy with it.

Last month, they upgraded my plan automatically to Unlimited for $50, the same that I did have, only I have a 5GB limit before they throttle back, not the 2.5GB that was before. They now added the 5GB plan on the site when you go there to purchase your plan. At least it's on mine. Maybe because I use anywhere from 8 to 15 MB's a month.

I'd like it if my dl speeds would be a bit better though. I have 5 bars all the time, even in bad weather, with a Netgear WNDA3100v2 USB adapter, which is about 8" from the MiFi2200, but my dl speeds go from 140 Kb's down to sometimes down to 8 Kb's in seconds, then up again. Would like it to be a little more consistent, maybe around 100 Kb's when I dl a 150MB file.

If anyone has any suggestions howI can get a more stable DL speed, they would be much appreciated.

Those of you that have the Virgin MiFi should check it out.

L8r

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Virgin Mobile has a lower priority on towers. SPRINT customers using voice and data hace priority.

140 kb/s equates to a little over 1mpbs, so you're lucky!!
said by Matt S :

Just for the record guys, I have had my MiFi2200 for about 6 months now, and although my dl speeds fluctuate up and down greatly, I'm kinda happy with it.

Last month, they upgraded my plan automatically to Unlimited for $50, the same that I did have, only I have a 5GB limit before they throttle back, not the 2.5GB that was before. They now added the 5GB plan on the site when you go there to purchase your plan. At least it's on mine. Maybe because I use anywhere from 8 to 15 MB's a month.

I'd like it if my dl speeds would be a bit better though. I have 5 bars all the time, even in bad weather, with a Netgear WNDA3100v2 USB adapter, which is about 8" from the MiFi2200, but my dl speeds go from 140 Kb's down to sometimes down to 8 Kb's in seconds, then up again. Would like it to be a little more consistent, maybe around 100 Kb's when I dl a 150MB file.

If anyone has any suggestions howI can get a more stable DL speed, they would be much appreciated.

Those of you that have the Virgin MiFi should check it out.

L8r

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to Matt S

to Matt S
Did you buy your mifi at radio shack by any chance? The reason I ask is that an earlier post mentioned when they bought their mifi at radio shack they had the 5 GB option.

I have a sprint and a virgin mobile card side by side and they are both having wild fluctuations... can't wait for them to run the enhanced backhaul everywhere

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

the sprintowers website said that we're due "1 data upgrade" here within 6 months...

the tower here is shared with Verizon, so that probably just means another t-1 line ran to the tower.
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to dib22

to dib22
said by dib22:

I have a sprint and a virgin mobile card side by side and they are both having wild fluctuations... can't wait for them to run the enhanced backhaul everywhere

Dunno what "enhanced backhaul" means but I'd welcome any improvements myself--we got Sprint iPhones (with "unlimited data") and for data they seem as-slow-if-not-slower than VM, at least out here in the country.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Isn't that AT&T's catch phrase? LOL
said by tomupnorth See ProfileDunno what "enhanced backhaul"means but I'd welcome any improvements myself--we got Sprint iPhones (with "unlimited data") and for data they seem as-slow-if-not-slower than VM, at least out here in the country.
[/BQUOTE :

Matt S
@spcsdns.net

Matt S to Matt S

Anon

to Matt S
ToL Computguybna

I wouldn't mind so much if the DL speeds didn't fluctuate so drastically. According to their site, I should be getting 600-1400 kbps download, and it's not even close to that.

I tried to DL a driver update for my videocard the other night at 1:00 in the morning, 158 MB, and it jumped all over the place, and said it would take 5+ hours. I don't know about you guys, but I sure don't call that broadband speed! (

The speed dropped so low that the file didn't even complete! I got up the next day, and had to DL it, the WHOLE think again... from the start, at about 9 AM, and it only took around an hour.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Matt S

Matt S to dib22

Anon

to dib22
No, I didn't. I purchased it at Walmart, but VM didn't have the 5GB unlimited plan when I signed up. They put me on it about 2 months ago for the same price I was paying for the 2.5GB unlimited... automatically. I'm thinking because my usage run aourn 10GB's a month.. and maybe because I'm calling them every month about the DL speeds. Supposed to have recomfigured my settings at their end to increase my speed, but it still fluctuates immensely, no matter what time of the day.
Matt S

Matt S to Matt S

Anon

to Matt S
BTW... I'm "anon"

And, also.... I live in the burbs, not in hicksville, but far enough so that I'm not IN town, but about 15 minutes from a large city.... AND, the tower is 5 miles from my residence... AND, I use the MiFi and Netgear USB adapter on a "DESKTOP", so it don't change locations like you guys going mobile with it.

whatsayu
@spcsdns.net

whatsayu to Matt S

Anon

to Matt S
my mifi 2200 bought a walmart plan still says $50 unlimited but only 3G for the first 2.5GB in back office. 3G speeds never really get above 45KBs Ok for video and skype video.

What is strange is the upload at sometimes is twice the speed of DL when doing a speed test...

It drops to 14KBs to 28KBs after 2.5GB threashold so can't really watch videos without buffering for at least 5 min and pages with a lot of flash are slow to load first visit. There are Sprint Towers all around me and it is the same no matter where I go...

I'm hoping that 4G will take the load off of 3G and give me more speed with lower latency Ping average between 445 -675 that's high.

I have had this VMB2Go for severl years now I considering buying the Verizon Mifi 4G prepaid I saw yesturday but not sure if its unlimited or capped?

VM Sprint you need to pick up the Speed or loose us...

Matt S
@spcsdns.net

Matt S to Matt S

Anon

to Matt S
Here's one more thing I just thought of.... They also say that you can break the 54.0MB connection speed if you change the security from WPA to WPA2, but I did that, and it didn't!

My Netgear adapter will support 802.11N, but VM's MiFi devices only do 802.11G. So, even though my adapter WOULD or SHOULD give me higher than the 54.0MB connection speed, unless VM will allow N, I don't think anyone can get more than 54.0MB's, but VM still insists that you can.

Feedback is always welcome if you got any suggestions or experiences how to up that 54MB speed, and/or increase the DL speeds so that they would me more consistent.

Thanks much guys.
Matt S

Matt S to Matt S

Anon

to Matt S
Sorry, just thought of 1 more thing that maybe you guys or girls :\) may have some input about.

I'm thinking that in Windows 7, either the MiFi or the adapter is reading a Windows connection setup instead of the MiFi or adapters settings?

The Netgear adapter comes with software, and its updated to the latest edition, and the MiFi obviously come with its own firmware; i.e. you plug it in the first time and set it up, BUT... I'm wondering if it doesn't stop the Windows settings when you set it all up?

I think I read somewhere on the Net that there was some setting that you had to stop or disallow or override.. something like that, that's in Windows!!! Some setting(s) that you needed to change if you wanted to get above the 54 MB connect speed.

I have the little icon in the systray, opens up the Wireless connections that it finds, and there is my MiFi. I'm wondering if you have to somehow not use that??? With the Netgear software, it puts a program on your computer that, I THINK, you're supposed to use to connect???

Any one got any ideas?
Matt S

Matt S to Matt S

Anon

to Matt S
Okay... nevernind! I found out what I was asking. eek! Sorry.

I was right with the Wireless-N theory, NOT the Windows settings. Although... I did find something about changing the WMM, whatever THAT is, but it's a Windows setting that sorta-kinda sets up your access, BUT... unless VM puts out a wireless device that supports N, then we're all doomed to the 54 MB connect speed.

VM's MiFi device supports 802.11b/g but not N. That kinda stinks, huh? In this age of tech savvy, a company is so lagging behind in upgrading their stuff.

I mean, b/g.. wow....!!!

Wireless has been around for awhile, youi'd think that they would catch up. Maybe in the 22nd. Century, eh?
Matt S

Matt S to whatsayu

Anon

to whatsayu
You might want to check, but I'm pretty sure Verizon has a cap. Actually, unless your using your mobile phone, which some DO have an unlimited plan, and even THOSE are few, most of the BB2G have a cap. Pretty sure Veriozn is one, AT&T (ewwww!) is another. I actually had 3 USB connections with AT&T, before I got the VM, and all 3 had 5MB caps... and may I add.... AT FRIGGIN' $60 A MOBTH FOR EACH ONE!!! If you go over that, not only do they throttle you, but they charge you $10 PER MB or part!!

I'm sticking with VM. They may have crappy tech support, and the speeds ain't great, but at least.. they still have an unlimited plan that ain't gonna cost you an arm and 2 legs! :0)

I'm just hoping that VM will put out a new device that'll support Wireless-N.... can you say... yipeeeeeeeee!

whatsayu
@spcsdns.net

whatsayu to Matt S

Anon

to Matt S
I saw that netzero is now stocking the mifi looks the same as VM I thinks its $99 to buy the device at walmart. There is a free 100 mb service each month with a no plan - so that's a differant way to catch market share... (at leat I thinks its netzero or could be WM own device they are launching maybe?) will have to look again next time to see for sure...

but they are pricy when you look at the plans for heavy user. look on there netzero site for plans.

if VMBB2GO ever gives up the unlimited plans they are toast with all the new companys approching the market as riders. Sprint has a lot of coast to obsorb as they upgrade the towers to there new antennas...

Matt S
@spcsdns.net

Matt S to whatsayu

Anon

to whatsayu
Crap! Was gonna answer your question and forgot.

If you have an account with VM, login to your account page where you prepay your bill. You SHOULD see 4 plans listed there.

1. $10 plan
2. $20 plan
3. $50 plan (unlimited 2.5GB)
4. $50 plan (unlimited 5GB)

If you don't, call them up and ask about it.

You didn't hear this from me though, okay? :0)

Maybe I'm just special.

I actually called them up and asked about it, why they changed my plan, and tehy told me that it IS a new plan they added, so check it out.
Matt S

Matt S to whatsayu

Anon

to whatsayu

MetroPCS anyone?

I know this isn't on the topic, well.. maybe a little.

If you guys have MetroPCS around you, you might want to look into them. They MAY still have the deal that I got with them.

NO.... it's not a SMARTphone, it's kind of a DUMB-SMARTphone. P

Here's the deal I got:

4 phones, paid for, I think $60 each. Touch screen! Unlimited Talk-Text-Data for $100 a month TOTAL cost. NO taxes and fees and crap! $100 bucks for 4 unlimited phones.

I think it cost me like around a bit over $300. I got me, wife, daughter and son-in-law each a phone.

Don't think you can beat the price! Works out to $25 per phone for unlimited everything, and you can add stuff to it too.
Matt S

Matt S to whatsayu

Anon

to whatsayu

Re: NetZero

That's not a good deal! I remember them from the 1990's when they had "FREE" dialup, problem was (1)Ads all over the place when you were surfing, and (2)They went from "FREE" to charging $10 a month.

Here's the skinny on it.

"free" wireless broadband service - at least until a year is up.

NetZero will offer a pair of plans, ranging from the "free" 1-Mbit connection up to a $49.95, 10-Mbit connection, that users can try out free for one year.

To use the service and take advantage of the free service, however, customers must buy one if the hardware options the company provides: either a $99.95 NetZero 4G HotSpot, or a USB dongle, the $49.95 netZero 4G Stick.

NetZero divides its plans not by speed, but by the amount of data consumed: $9.95 per month for 500MB, $19.95 for 1GB, $34.95 for 2GB, and $49.95 for 4GB. There are no activation fees.

NetZero divides its plans not by speed, but by the amount of data consumed: $9.95 per month for 500MB, $19.95 for 1GB, $34.95 for 2GB, and $49.95 for 4GB. There are no activation fees. NetZero said that there will be no overage charges; users will receive an alert as they near their limit, allowing them to "top up" with extra data, upgrade to a higher data plan, or simply wait until the next billing cycle. Subscribers can buy Top Ups in the amount of 250MB for $6.95 or 1GB for $19.95

PCMag found the NetZero hotspot to be a large, bulky box, but one that contained a battery big enough for over six hours of battery life and a large, easy-to-read LCD.

So,

1. you CAN try their service for "FREE", but experience with them from the 90's with them alerts me to something in the "fine print", and you only get to try their 1 Mbit connection.

2. you hae to buy one of their devices; albeit not as much as VM's.

3. their BEST plan is $50 for 4 GB's cap. With VM, you get UNLIMITED for the SAME price.

4. You can "top-up" at 1 GB with both for the SAME $20.

5. VM's device is small and lightweight, and fits in your pocket or wherever conviently to move around. NZ is a large, bulky box.

6. I didn't see any mention of connecting more than 1 device to their so-called "hotspot", VM you can connect up to 5 devices... for the same $50 a month.

Think about it!!!

Pay $50 for only 1 device to connect, and get 4 GB's of data.....

OR...

Pay $50 for 5 devices to connect, and get UNLIMITED
date.....

I can have me, the wife, both the grand kids and some stranger on VM's device for 1/5th. of what it would cost to connect the same amount of devices with NetZero.

Don't sound like much of a good deal to me. I LOVE unlimited, and even if I gotta upt up with the slower dl's and fluctuating speeds, VM STILL has the best deal so far.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to compuguybna

to compuguybna

Re: Virgin up'd my B2B throttle speed to 5GB's for $50 unlimited

said by compuguybna:

Isn't that AT&T's catch phrase?

Yea I guess it's att's marketing lingo for bringing the backhaul up to 2009 standards

I should have called it "data speed upgrades".
dib22

dib22 to Matt S

to Matt S
said by Matt S :

Feedback is always welcome if you got any suggestions or experiences how to up that 54MB speed, and/or increase the DL speeds so that they would me more consistent.

The max EVDO can ever send to your mifi is 3.1mbit so even if you connected at a wifi rate of 100mbit the bottleneck is the EVDO itself.

The only advantages you would have connecting at a higher wifi rate would be sending files between machines on the local side... that is from one laptop to another both connected to the mifi
dib22

dib22 to Matt S

to Matt S
said by Matt S :

Wireless has been around for awhile, youi'd think that they would catch up. Maybe in the 22nd. Century, eh?

The 2200 has been around for a while as well It was released in 2009 if I remember correctly.

They will be selling the sierra wireless overdrive starting on May 31 2012 and it does support 802.11b/g/n.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

its May 31, and its not available.........
said by dib22:

said by Matt S :

The 2200 has been around for a while as well It was released in 2009 if I remember correctly.

They will be selling the sierra wireless overdrive starting on May 31 2012 and it does support 802.11b/g/n.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by compuguybna:

Clear your cache and cookies shows up on my browser

»www.virginmobileusa.com/ ··· 2go.html

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

the website didn't change until about 3pm CST. Shows updated now.
said by dib22:

said by compuguybna:

Clear your cache and cookies shows up on my browser

»www.virginmobileusa.com/ ··· 2go.html

Matt S
@spcsdns.net

Matt S to dib22

Anon

to dib22
Okay! Just got off the phone with VM tech support. I questioned the tech about the new Overdrive Pro 3G/4G MiFi device. Suposed to be 802.11 b/g/n compliant. Since I live in an area just outside their 4G connection area, I'm kinda limited to the 3G speeds because the unit is primarily for the desktop computer.

I queried:

Q. If I purchased the NEW 4G MiFi device, and that it is 802.11 "N" compliant, and that my USB adapter is also "N" mode, if this should not break the 54Mbps limit connection that I have now; i.e. faster DL speeds even with 3G?

A. YES! You should get better connection speed (which should translate to higher than 54Mbps, and faster DL speeds even in the 3G area.

Q. Can I use the same account and just transfer the NEW unit onto the account and DC the MiFi2200 from it?

A. YES! You just have to call and change the unit on the account. Can still use the same account.

If I remember correctly, they wouldn't let you do that, according to another tech. If you have 2 units, you have to have 2 separate accounts; i.e. one for each device.

What I didn't think to ask is "do I loose the unlimited 5GB 3G unlimited access plan that I have now for the $50 I pay currently?"

I will be calling them back to verify this, as I probably won't be using the device (very often) as a mobile, but rather a permanent location, nor will I be receiving 4G in my area (unless they expand the coverage).

According to their website, you get 2GB 3G @ $35 a month, 5GB 3G @ $55 a month, and UNLIMITED 4G (where available). What I am hoping is that because I don't get 4G where I am, and using the device in a permanent location, if they will just switch the device over and let me stay with the current plan.

I am hopeful that, considering this, they will just let me switch devices and keep my current $50 unlimited plan.

At $150, it don't sound like a bad deal if they don't give a current customer a hassle switching the device and keep the plan that they have now. If they want a NEW account, and different "limited" plan, I'll stick with the one I have now.

I'll post and let you know.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by Matt S :

Q. If I purchased the NEW 4G MiFi device, and that it is 802.11 "N" compliant, and that my USB adapter is also "N" mode, if this should not break the 54Mbps limit connection that I have now; i.e. faster DL speeds even with 3G?

A. YES! You should get better connection speed (which should translate to higher than 54Mbps, and faster DL speeds even in the 3G area.

The max speed (theoretical) that you will ever see with 3G (EVDO) is 3.1Mbit... the max speed (theoretical) you would ever see with wimax is 128Mbit... but you will never see that speed outside of a lab. They are telling you what you want to hear to sell you a device... one again the bottleneck is the actual internet connection... not the wifi lan side

Q. Can I use the same account and just transfer the NEW unit onto the account and DC the MiFi2200 from it?

A. YES! You just have to call and change the unit on the account. Can still use the same account.

This is true... if you remain on the unlimited 3G plan (which will no longer be offered after July) you will not have access to any 4G services.

What I didn't think to ask is "do I loose the unlimited 5GB 3G unlimited access plan that I have now for the $50 I pay currently?"

You can keep that plan as long as you never switch away from it. They will be removing all plans except the new ones in July. If you never switch away from your $50 plan you can keep using it until they kill that plan (they have no time frame in which they will kill that plan)... note that the $50 plan will not have wimax access.

According to their website, you get 2GB 3G @ $35 a month, 5GB 3G @ $55 a month, and UNLIMITED 4G (where available). What I am hoping is that because I don't get 4G where I am, and using the device in a permanent location, if they will just switch the device over and let me stay with the current plan.

If you never switch away from your $50 plan... and you never let your account expire (365 days of no plan)... you can keep it until they remove the plan (which they most likely wont remove anytime soon).

I am hopeful that, considering this, they will just let me switch devices and keep my current $50 unlimited plan.

According to their FAQ you should be able to stay on the $50 plan as long as you never switch to another plan... or let you account lapse... but you will have no wimax access with your current plan.
tomupnorth
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to Matt S

to Matt S
said by Matt S :

It's good to have it re-confirmed, that if one's modem fails, and one has to buy a new one, then if it's even a modem of a different type VM will transfer your present account to it.

If the older modem has not failed, presumably someone could use it to enter into a new account with VM.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by tomupnorth:

It's good to have it re-confirmed, that if one's modem fails, and one has to buy a new one, then if it's even a modem of a different type VM will transfer your present account to it.

If the older modem has not failed, presumably someone could use it to enter into a new account with VM.

You can even do it form the website with no human interaction!

As for re-using on another account... they used to do a promotion when you upgraded your phones... "give your old phone to a friend so they can use virgin mobile too"... gave them x free mins etc... they dont do that for broadband2go however...
tomupnorth
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth

said by dib22:

You can even do it form the website with no human interaction!

Didn't know that, thanks. Though I haven't called their CS in a year or more--it seems to me I always got someone right away, speaking reasonably intelligible English too!

Matt S
@spcsdns.net

Matt S to dib22

Anon

to dib22
Well, obviously, I'm hoping they NEVER get rid of the $50 unlimited plan, and I don't intend to let the account lapse either, eh?

I use around 10 - 12 GB's a month, and anywhere else, I'd either be paying a fortune in overage charges (AT%T, etc), or else Hugh's Net or Wild Blue would be charging me $80+ a month for that kind of usage.

Might be slower than cable, but it's faster than DSL and Dial-up, so I hope they NEVER get rid of the plan... MAN... would I be pissed or what? :0)

Anyhoo... What I'm considering is, and I don't even know what wimax even is, that since I can't get 4G in my area anyway, without taking the MiFi2200 on the road, that because it's being used at a "fixed" location where 3G is, that the newer BB2G unit will be better capable of picking up that 3G signal. Since it's actually meant for receiving 4G, it should/could enhance the 3G signal because it's a newer, more sensitive unit.

My little windows thingy in the SysTray, when I check the status, says my connection speed is 54Mbps, and that's with a Netgear 802.11n USB adapter, and the VM MiFi2200, which is 802.11b/g.

The NEW unit IS supposed to be able to work at 802.11n, which shoulda/coulda/woulda break that 54Mbps. From all that I have read, you're kinda locked in at 54Mbps unless you go to the N mode, then you should be able to get higher connection speeds, as the N mode is supposed to "break" that threshold.

Anyone actually test it out? Go from a G to an N and see an increase? Curious if you've managed it.

Matt S