uniqs
share rss forum feed

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to Matt S

Re: Virgin up'd my B2B throttle speed to 5GB's for $50 unlimited

said by Matt S :

Wireless has been around for awhile, youi'd think that they would catch up. Maybe in the 22nd. Century, eh?

The 2200 has been around for a while as well It was released in 2009 if I remember correctly.

They will be selling the sierra wireless overdrive starting on May 31 2012 and it does support 802.11b/g/n.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

its May 31, and its not available.........

said by dib22:

said by Matt S :

Wireless has been around for awhile, youi'd think that they would catch up. Maybe in the 22nd. Century, eh?

The 2200 has been around for a while as well It was released in 2009 if I remember correctly.

They will be selling the sierra wireless overdrive starting on May 31 2012 and it does support 802.11b/g/n.

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by compuguybna:

Clear your cache and cookies shows up on my browser

»www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-b···2go.html

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

the website didn't change until about 3pm CST. Shows updated now.

said by dib22:

said by compuguybna:

Clear your cache and cookies shows up on my browser

»www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-b···2go.html

Matt S

@spcsdns.net
reply to dib22

Okay! Just got off the phone with VM tech support. I questioned the tech about the new Overdrive Pro 3G/4G MiFi device. Suposed to be 802.11 b/g/n compliant. Since I live in an area just outside their 4G connection area, I'm kinda limited to the 3G speeds because the unit is primarily for the desktop computer.

I queried:

Q. If I purchased the NEW 4G MiFi device, and that it is 802.11 "N" compliant, and that my USB adapter is also "N" mode, if this should not break the 54Mbps limit connection that I have now; i.e. faster DL speeds even with 3G?

A. YES! You should get better connection speed (which should translate to higher than 54Mbps, and faster DL speeds even in the 3G area.

Q. Can I use the same account and just transfer the NEW unit onto the account and DC the MiFi2200 from it?

A. YES! You just have to call and change the unit on the account. Can still use the same account.

If I remember correctly, they wouldn't let you do that, according to another tech. If you have 2 units, you have to have 2 separate accounts; i.e. one for each device.

What I didn't think to ask is "do I loose the unlimited 5GB 3G unlimited access plan that I have now for the $50 I pay currently?"

I will be calling them back to verify this, as I probably won't be using the device (very often) as a mobile, but rather a permanent location, nor will I be receiving 4G in my area (unless they expand the coverage).

According to their website, you get 2GB 3G @ $35 a month, 5GB 3G @ $55 a month, and UNLIMITED 4G (where available). What I am hoping is that because I don't get 4G where I am, and using the device in a permanent location, if they will just switch the device over and let me stay with the current plan.

I am hopeful that, considering this, they will just let me switch devices and keep my current $50 unlimited plan.

At $150, it don't sound like a bad deal if they don't give a current customer a hassle switching the device and keep the plan that they have now. If they want a NEW account, and different "limited" plan, I'll stick with the one I have now.

I'll post and let you know.

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by Matt S :

Q. If I purchased the NEW 4G MiFi device, and that it is 802.11 "N" compliant, and that my USB adapter is also "N" mode, if this should not break the 54Mbps limit connection that I have now; i.e. faster DL speeds even with 3G?

A. YES! You should get better connection speed (which should translate to higher than 54Mbps, and faster DL speeds even in the 3G area.

The max speed (theoretical) that you will ever see with 3G (EVDO) is 3.1Mbit... the max speed (theoretical) you would ever see with wimax is 128Mbit... but you will never see that speed outside of a lab. They are telling you what you want to hear to sell you a device... one again the bottleneck is the actual internet connection... not the wifi lan side

Q. Can I use the same account and just transfer the NEW unit onto the account and DC the MiFi2200 from it?

A. YES! You just have to call and change the unit on the account. Can still use the same account.

This is true... if you remain on the unlimited 3G plan (which will no longer be offered after July) you will not have access to any 4G services.

What I didn't think to ask is "do I loose the unlimited 5GB 3G unlimited access plan that I have now for the $50 I pay currently?"

You can keep that plan as long as you never switch away from it. They will be removing all plans except the new ones in July. If you never switch away from your $50 plan you can keep using it until they kill that plan (they have no time frame in which they will kill that plan)... note that the $50 plan will not have wimax access.

According to their website, you get 2GB 3G @ $35 a month, 5GB 3G @ $55 a month, and UNLIMITED 4G (where available). What I am hoping is that because I don't get 4G where I am, and using the device in a permanent location, if they will just switch the device over and let me stay with the current plan.

If you never switch away from your $50 plan... and you never let your account expire (365 days of no plan)... you can keep it until they remove the plan (which they most likely wont remove anytime soon).

I am hopeful that, considering this, they will just let me switch devices and keep my current $50 unlimited plan.

According to their FAQ you should be able to stay on the $50 plan as long as you never switch to another plan... or let you account lapse... but you will have no wimax access with your current plan.

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to Matt S

said by Matt S :

It's good to have it re-confirmed, that if one's modem fails, and one has to buy a new one, then if it's even a modem of a different type VM will transfer your present account to it.

If the older modem has not failed, presumably someone could use it to enter into a new account with VM.

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by laserfan:

It's good to have it re-confirmed, that if one's modem fails, and one has to buy a new one, then if it's even a modem of a different type VM will transfer your present account to it.

If the older modem has not failed, presumably someone could use it to enter into a new account with VM.

You can even do it form the website with no human interaction!

As for re-using on another account... they used to do a promotion when you upgraded your phones... "give your old phone to a friend so they can use virgin mobile too"... gave them x free mins etc... they dont do that for broadband2go however...

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

said by dib22:

You can even do it form the website with no human interaction!

Didn't know that, thanks. Though I haven't called their CS in a year or more--it seems to me I always got someone right away, speaking reasonably intelligible English too!

Matt S

@spcsdns.net
reply to dib22

Well, obviously, I'm hoping they NEVER get rid of the $50 unlimited plan, and I don't intend to let the account lapse either, eh?

I use around 10 - 12 GB's a month, and anywhere else, I'd either be paying a fortune in overage charges (AT%T, etc), or else Hugh's Net or Wild Blue would be charging me $80+ a month for that kind of usage.

Might be slower than cable, but it's faster than DSL and Dial-up, so I hope they NEVER get rid of the plan... MAN... would I be pissed or what? :0)

Anyhoo... What I'm considering is, and I don't even know what wimax even is, that since I can't get 4G in my area anyway, without taking the MiFi2200 on the road, that because it's being used at a "fixed" location where 3G is, that the newer BB2G unit will be better capable of picking up that 3G signal. Since it's actually meant for receiving 4G, it should/could enhance the 3G signal because it's a newer, more sensitive unit.

My little windows thingy in the SysTray, when I check the status, says my connection speed is 54Mbps, and that's with a Netgear 802.11n USB adapter, and the VM MiFi2200, which is 802.11b/g.

The NEW unit IS supposed to be able to work at 802.11n, which shoulda/coulda/woulda break that 54Mbps. From all that I have read, you're kinda locked in at 54Mbps unless you go to the N mode, then you should be able to get higher connection speeds, as the N mode is supposed to "break" that threshold.

Anyone actually test it out? Go from a G to an N and see an increase? Curious if you've managed it.

Matt S

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by Matt S :

Anyhoo... What I'm considering is, and I don't even know what wimax even is,

Wimax is what sprint has been marketing as 4G for the last couple years. They are now switching to LTE that they will be marking at 4G... the virgin mobile devices are only wimax not LTE.

said by Matt S :

... that the newer BB2G unit will be better capable of picking up that 3G signal. Since it's actually meant for receiving 4G, it should/could enhance the 3G signal because it's a newer, more sensitive unit.

The 4G and 3G are separate radios, being able to get 4G does not enhance being able to get 3G... it comes down to does Novatel make a better 3G radio than Sierra Wireless does. I feel they are both pretty good but some like one better than the other

said by Matt S :

My little windows thingy in the SysTray, when I check the status, says my connection speed is 54Mbps, and that's with a Netgear 802.11n USB adapter, and the VM MiFi2200, which is 802.11b/g.

That is the speed your computer is connected to the 2200 via wifi... the speed you 2200 is connected to the evdo network can't go faster than 3.1Mbps.

said by Matt S :

The NEW unit IS supposed to be able to work at 802.11n, which shoulda/coulda/woulda break that 54Mbps. From all that I have read, you're kinda locked in at 54Mbps unless you go to the N mode, then you should be able to get higher connection speeds, as the N mode is supposed to "break" that threshold.

the 802.11n will increase your wifi connection rate... however.. the bottleneck will still be the 3G connection, which maxes out at 3.1Mbps.

If you move a lot of large files between machines connected to the mifi you would see a speed increase on the LAN side (the computers connected to the mifi).

Matt S

@spcsdns.net

I get all that, i think?

So, what you're saying is, I'm kinda topped out at 3.1 Mbps, which I'm pretty sure I've never acquired, but shouldn't the speed my computer connects to the NEW "N" mode BB2G unit (now 54Mbps) increase?

And, if that happens, that increases the speed transfers of the unit to the computer, and vice versa? Correct? So, in real terms, I may not actually SEE a Kbps increase, in say, downloading a file, but in reality, should still have an increase in the modem and the computer actually "getting" the data, right?

With the modem (unit) and the computer using the "N" mode instead of the "G" mode, the transfer speed would be increased, thus perhaps loading the data onto the computer at a faster rate? That would still help increase in the speed, but not that I would notice as a Kbps speed increase in downloads?

Right now, if I DL a large file, say like maybe 150 MB's, the actual Kbps speed that I SEE in the DL window, in Firefox, varies so much! Depending on the site I'm DL'ing from, say the same file from Major Geeks and CNET, they DL speed can be as high as 140 Kbps on one, and 30 Kbps on the other. Not a steady flow, mind you, but say on Major Geeks, it might fluctuate from 140 to say 30, up and down and up and down in the speed. Whereas, on Cnet, it might drop as low as 9 Kbps up to say 30 or 40.. 50.... drop down again, up again.

This is what I'm trying to overcome! That up and down and topping out at a low transfer speed, like 20 - 30 Kbps. I mean, that's pretty lame, especially at 3 or 4 in the morning!!

I'd like to get some kind of consistency, around 100 Kbps, and not fluctuate so much... down to 9, then 24, then 82, then 40..... know what I mean?

I tried to DL a file that size from, I think it actually WAS Cnet, and it took 5 hours... to the point that the speed dropped so slow that it actually stopped dl'ing, and that was at 3 in the AM when I started it. Went to bed, got up around 9 AM, and the thing had stopped about 3/4 into the file.

So, that's what I'm trying to ascertain.. if the new BB2G unit with the "N" mode, which would match the "N" mode of my Netgear adapter, would help? Since my Netgear adapter is b/g/N, and my MiFi2200 is only b/g, perhaps the NEW VM unit, which supports the "N", would help increase or at least stabilize DL's to a more respectable speed.

Hey dib22, wanna say I appreciate your addressing and offering your input on this, BTW. Thank you.

Matt S

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by Matt S :

So, what you're saying is, I'm kinda topped out at 3.1 Mbps, which I'm pretty sure I've never acquired, but shouldn't the speed my computer connects to the NEW "N" mode BB2G unit (now 54Mbps) increase?

Yea the 3.1Mbps it the theoretical max speed... in the real world you will see around 2.75Mbps max on a tower that has the backhaul to support it.

Yes the speed at which your computer connects to the "personal hotspot" will be higher, but the speed that the "personal hotspot" connects to the sprint 3G network will remain capped at 3.1Mbps max.... now if you get lucky and get WiMax signal.. well that's another story.. but still the max you will see on the WiMax network would be around 6Mbps in the real world.

said by Matt S :

And, if that happens, that increases the speed transfers of the unit to the computer, and vice versa? Correct? So, in real terms, I may not actually SEE a Kbps increase, in say, downloading a file, but in reality, should still have an increase in the modem and the computer actually "getting" the data, right?

If you have 2 laptops connected to the new "personal hotspot" the speed between those two laptops would be higher (say moving a file using shared folders) than it would on the old mifi 2200.. in theory... but any downloads from the internet would be still be limited to 3.1Mbps on the 3G (evdo) network.

said by Matt S :

Right now, if I DL a large file, say like maybe 150 MB's, the actual Kbps speed that I SEE in the DL window, in Firefox, varies so much! Depending on the site I'm DL'ing from, say the same file from Major Geeks and CNET, they DL speed can be as high as 140 Kbps on one, and 30 Kbps on the other. Not a steady flow, mind you, but say on Major Geeks, it might fluctuate from 140 to say 30, up and down and up and down in the speed. Whereas, on Cnet, it might drop as low as 9 Kbps up to say 30 or 40.. 50.... drop down again, up again.

the new "personal hotspot" should not be any different when connecting to 3G... what you are describing sounds like tower load.. that is there are x amount of users sharing a single t1 line to the tower... basically however many virgin mobile/sprint users are sharing 1.5Mbps between them. So if only 1 is downloading something they will get the full 1.5Mbps , if two are downloading something it gets splint in 2 (each user gets 0.75Mbps).. and so on. Since some are browsing web pages you will see the download go up and down as others use and quit using some of the 1.5Mbps.

said by Matt S :

I'd like to get some kind of consistency, around 100 Kbps, and not fluctuate so much... down to 9, then 24, then 82, then 40..... know what I mean?

I do know what you mean... sadly until they either pop in more towers (access points) and increase the backhaul to the towers, you will see this happening.

said by Matt S :

I tried to DL a file that size from, I think it actually WAS Cnet, and it took 5 hours... to the point that the speed dropped so slow that it actually stopped dl'ing, and that was at 3 in the AM when I started it. Went to bed, got up around 9 AM, and the thing had stopped about 3/4 into the file.

Very annoying when that happens... check into a download manager that can resume a failed download. If you use firefox check out downthemall (»addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox···themall/ ) and if not you might check out Free Download Manager (»www.freedownloadmanager.org/)

said by Matt S :

So, that's what I'm trying to ascertain.. if the new BB2G unit with the "N" mode, which would match the "N" mode of my Netgear adapter, would help? Since my Netgear adapter is b/g/N, and my MiFi2200 is only b/g, perhaps the NEW VM unit, which supports the "N", would help increase or at least stabilize DL's to a more respectable speed.

Sadly I fear it would not fix the issue if you would still be connecting to the 3G (evdo) network... if by some lucky chance you were connecting to the Wimax network it would improve considerably (for the first 10GB a month anyway )

And no problem for the help, I try to when I can

gunterm

join:2006-07-30
Topeka, KS
reply to Matt S

I'm still seeing all the plans right now (Walmart device), is it still possible to get the cap changed to 5 GB?

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by gunterm:

I'm still seeing all the plans right now (Walmart device), is it still possible to get the cap changed to 5 GB?

Technically they only offer:

1. any grandfathered plan (can keep until you switch to another plan)
2. $35 for 2GB of 3G (unlimited 4G - 10GB full speed, then throttle)
3. $55 for 5GB of 3G (unlimited 4G - 10GB full speed, then throttle)
4. $20 for 1GB of 3G (no 4G) walmart devices

So if you had one that gave you 5GB of usage keep selecting that one and you should be able to keep it, but switch to another and it will be gone.