spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wm4bama

join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL

Usage meter now working for Exede12 customers?

We'll see how long this lasts, but this morning the Usage meter is now working for Exede12 customers..

My NetworX monitor has 2.7gB's right now and the Exede modem counters show 2.5gB's...the usage meter shows 2.0gB's, so if this is accurate the online usage meter is counting compressed bytes being sent to the satellite, not raw uncompressed data..which is what we were looking for.

Still need to evaluate this over longer time periods, but so far it seems to work the way it should...only count compressed bytes...
--
Exede12, ViaSat-1, beam 342, Albuquerque Gateway, Denver AcceleNet servers

Meganano

I'll check NetMeter when I get home this evening, but this seems low, with all the Youtube and surf cams I watch. I wonder if this total is from 4/19 or from when the usage meter started working. If this is the result of compression maybe I better sign up for Netflex:)

wm4bama

Goodwater, AL

Be careful with Netflex or any other streaming video/audio...those files are already compressed and AcceleNet compression will not reduce the bytes like it does for web pages and other uncompressed data files..
--

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH

Yea, wouldn't want to be able to actually do more with the internet than reading email and surfing webpages

It does point out, that depending on what you are doing with internet, the compression technology isn't really providing more data than before.

Can't wait to see how the new Exede users live with the great data cap levels Viasat has provided.

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to wm4bama

wm4bama and Meganano, the ratio between your download and upload usage is 6:1 and 9:1. On Wildblue Value Pack my ratio is currently 27:1 which has been fairly typically for me for years. Because I have not uploaded any significant amount of data during the last 30 days, my upload usage represents the amount of upload needed to access web pages and download data. I wonder if Exede in the normal course of browsing the Internet uploads more data than Wildblue.
--
Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway

wm4bama

Goodwater, AL

Spice, as you know for Exede customers it really doesn't matter what the ratio is between upload and download because their package DAP limits are the sum of both...Exede does not have separate limits for download and upload..

Since most folks do much smaller uploads than downloads this is really an advantage...by combining them into one sum the customer gains more download capability..

Also, look for the Exede DAP limits to be adjusted upward. Exede customers are now being asked to complete an online survey (I did mine yesterday) to indicate their preferences..and with the competition of the HughesNet Gen4 satellite probability of being in service by the end of the year you can bet that Wildblue/Exede will equal, or beat the competition.
--

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to wm4bama

Viasat is going to have to do something with the current caps in place. Expand them, add a download zone, or something. They can't expect to remain competitive when Gen4 is in place with a "fap free zone" or Verizon Homefusion with low latency. Right now Exede is the "only game in town" and has a pretty captive audience. That is going to change soon.

marsh_0x

join:2006-04-25
Tomahawk, WI

OldSatUser
Very well said, loving competition brings out the best.
Not sure if it was a broken meter ? OR more of a test of us to see how well the system could handle the heavy users.
No wish to share our bandwidth with them 1% ers

Hmm later will need figure out my login name and check out the meter I've never seen.
Thanks for the inspiration to do so

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to wm4bama

DrStrangeLov and you, wm4bama, have been wondering whether the compression used by Exede decreases the usage reported by the usage meter. Observing the ratio between download and upload usage provides one clue pointing to the answer. Perhaps you have been uploading some data, as in doing many upload speed tests, which could account for your larger upload usage. Since I have not uploaded much, mine represents the amount that is uploaded while generally browsing the internet.

My FAP meter for Wildblue Value Pack currently shows:

download: 6563 million bytes
upload: 245 million bytes
ratio: 26.8

If my ratio was 9:1 then my upload usage would be 729 million bytes which would put me close to my combined usage limit of 7500 million bytes if I switched to Exede.

Put another way, if Exede must upload 3 times more data to download a page at BBR than the older Wildblue service, then it is even worse that Exede caps were lowered relative to Wildblue.

As for Exede usage limits being increased, that is speculation. They do not have to do anything for 2 years because Exede users are trapped in service commitments.

Now that the Exede usage meter is working another thing to check is whether the meter flat lines on the 30th and 31st of the month.
--
Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1

said by Spice300:

They do not have to do anything for 2 years because Exede users are trapped in service commitments.

Join the Exede party, Spice! I'd rather have Exede 5 than WB legacy.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH

And Viasat thanks you for committing to Exede for 2 years.

Spice still has the option of Exede, Hughesnet Gen4, or perhaps Verizon Homefusion. Why not wait a couple more months to see which service offers the best value to a customer.

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1

said by OldSatUser:

Spice still has the option of Exede, Hughesnet Gen4, or perhaps Verizon Homefusion.

Gen4 like Exede concentrated spot beams where most folks live...Spice lives in the "boonies," so no options there for Spice.

Exede 5 is his hotest ticket.