Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

Well, it is their network

While I don't like traffic prioritization, this isn't QOS. This is simply the fact that Comcast is not counting Comcast TV over the Xbox 360 to the cap. That, IMHO, isn't a big deal to me and here is why. Does it create an unfair advantage? Not in my mind. The people who have netflix, like my parents and friends, are going to continue using them. Those that have comcast in addition to netflix, like my parents and friends, are going to watch it. If they have xbox 360s, then they can watch it without it counting towards the cap. I just don't see that as an issue.

Now, if Comcast was using QOS to block other traffic from coming in or restrict the speed of netflix, then I would agree. That just isn't the case here.

The cap is not an issue for 99.9% of the customer base. Almost all common consumers don't even know about the cap since it is a soft cap.

Netflix should be focusing more on getting content faster and improving their business model than complaining about this.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Correct. As I posted yesterday »RE: Is Comcast prioritizing traffic or not?, this is just about not going against the cap. There is no QOS prioritizing like Netflix is whining about.

And I agree with Comcast that Xbox traffic is just to another STB and shouldn't be counted against the cap just because the traffic is IP instead of QAM.
qworster
join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA

qworster to Nightfall

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

While I don't like traffic prioritization, this isn't QOS. This is simply the fact that Comcast is not counting Comcast TV over the Xbox 360 to the cap. That, IMHO, isn't a big deal to me and here is why. Does it create an unfair advantage? Not in my mind. The people who have netflix, like my parents and friends, are going to continue using them. Those that have comcast in addition to netflix, like my parents and friends, are going to watch it. If they have xbox 360s, then they can watch it without it counting towards the cap. I just don't see that as an issue.

Now, if Comcast was using QOS to block other traffic from coming in or restrict the speed of netflix, then I would agree. That just isn't the case here.

The cap is not an issue for 99.9% of the customer base. Almost all common consumers don't even know about the cap since it is a soft cap.

Netflix should be focusing more on getting content faster and improving their business model than complaining about this.

This might be their network---BUT they have been given a de facto MONOPOLY within most of their service area. How is this any different then a landlord not renting to blacks or families with children? Your explanation would go: Well it IS their apartment complex! Sorry bud, but there were conditions that Comcrap agreed to and now they are thumbing their nose at them.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by qworster:

said by Nightfall:

This might be their network---BUT they have been given a de facto MONOPOLY within most of their service area. How is this any different then a landlord not renting to blacks or families with children? Your explanation would go: Well it IS their apartment complex! Sorry bud, but there were conditions that Comcrap agreed to and now they are thumbing their nose at them.

Way to change the topic. While I don't disagree with your point, we are discussing how the traffic on the Comcast network while watching Comcast TV doesn't affect the cap. You have a comment on that topic or are you just going to derail it with more anti-comcast discussion?

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00 to Nightfall

to Nightfall
Of course it's their network! A completely different network even! Totally different!

So answer this question. Do I need to be a Comcast INTERNET subscriber to receive this TV SERVICE?

They said it was separate.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned) to Nightfall

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

You could make the case that by not counting Comcast stuff against the cap that even more Netflix that can be watched. If Netflix gets it's way and Comcast counts its own stuff the people will use their cap faster and that could lead to FEWER people using Netflix not more.

Blame Hollywood for that. Netflix can only show what Hollywood allows them to show.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

1 recommendation

25139889 (banned) to qworster

to qworster
actually the Monopoly is gone. Anyone is free to build and cities will welcome those companies wishing to overbuild. The problem is it does NOT work. You can see that with FiOS, U-Verse and others that have problems trying to compete with companies that EVERYONE knows and has been with for the last 10+ years on average for the same services. You will NOT change those customers over night.

annonymiss
@comcast.net

annonymiss to qworster

Anon

to qworster
No such thing as "defacto monopoly".

Any company can go raise money and string wires anywhere in the USA.

AND if you want to do it in rural areas you can apply for some universal funds.

PS, lot s of cities around me have 2 hardline and 2 satellite companies to choose from.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to Nightfall

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

If they have xbox 360s, then they can watch it without it counting towards the cap. I just don't see that as an issue.

LOL, first you say the above and then you follow it up with this gem.
said by Nightfall:

So you are advising Netflix to spend millions, if not billions, of dollars improving their content so they can compete for Comcast customers who would avoid them because getting content through Netflix counts against their cap? That is your vision of competition for content?

What about NBC web content being "on network"? Should those shows not count either if Comcast customers go to their website with their computer and watch them? What now if that same customer uses their xBox and goes out to watch them, should it count now?