uniqs

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal

Premium Member

Iran executes "spy" on word of WikiLeaks' cable

quote:
An Iranian kick-boxer was hanged for the assassination of a Tehran nuclear scientist after WikiLeaks published a confidential U.S. Embassy cable, it has been claimed.

Majid Jamali Fashi, 24, was yesterday put to death at Tehran's Evin Prison following his conviction of killing Massoud Ali-Mohammadi allegedly on behalf of Israel's intelligence service Mossad.

Experts believe the unauthorised publication of the U.S. Embassy document, from Baku in Azerbaijan where Fashi had taken part in a tournament, 'could have raised Iranian suspicions'.
WikiLeaks cable 'led Iran to hang kick-boxer it claims was Israeli spy'

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

Blackbird

Premium Member

It's more than a little likely that the Wikileaks publication caused Fashi to get fingered by Iranian cointel... the cable's description about the US "contact" and the timing of Fashi's arrest just after publication are hardly coincidence. Once fingered as an agent, all bets were off as to what the Iranians would try to assign to his doing. Nothing in the cable has any connection to Israel, Mossad or the assassination... so it's equally likely Fashi, once "outed", just happened to be a convenient target on which to lay all the frustrations of the Iranian government. Nice going, Mr. Assange... to you, his death was probably just some "collateral damage". And after all, publishing those leaked documents is the really important thing, right?

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

Nice going, Mr. Assange...

Assange is clearly anti-American. Then again there are media organizations is this country that would publish such material if they could get a hold of it.

Just recently the media gleefully announced that a CIA double agent had handed over a new type of suicide bomb intented for airplanes. If AQAP finds him it'll be "off with his head".

It used to be, 60-70 years ago, that people had enough sense and love for their country to use common sense and keep some things quiet. Alas those days are long gone

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to Cabal

to Cabal
Who could argue with a reliable source like the Daily Mail?

Forbes, for one.
WikiLeaks: No, Media "Morons," We Didn't Help Iran Execute An Israeli Spy
quote:
Since WikiLeaks first released its flood of classified State Department memos in December of 2010, the secret-spilling site’s critics have been searching for evidence that Julian Assange’s disregard for official secrecy would directly hurt some innocent bystander. On Wednesday, those critics seemed to have found their best evidence yet of that harm. Nevermind that the facts didn’t agree with them.
quote:
Those stories point to the execution of Majid Jamali Fashi, a kick-boxer who was hanged in Iran Tuesday for allegedly assassinating Iranian nuclear scientist Masoud Ali-Mohammadi in January of 2010. The Daily Mail story cited a redacted cable released by Der Spiegel and WikiLeaks in December 2010 described a briefing between a State Department official in the Iranian town of Baku and an unnamed ‘licensed martial arts coach and trainer’ who opposed the Iranian government’s attempts to recruit local militiamen. Though the cable doesn’t mention Israel or any assassinations, Fashi, a martial artist who had been in the town of Baku days before the cable was released, was soon arrested.

But here’s where the Mail’s story falls apart: The unredacted State Department memo, released after WikiLeaks’ and the Guardian’s notorious snafu last summer that led to the accidental publication of its entire database, names that martial arts trainer and State Department informant: His name, though I won’t cite it here, is not Majid Jamali Fashi. And his branch of martial arts, which was also redacted in the initial release, is not kick boxing.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal

Maybe not

The press may not have fact-checked this story as closely as they could have.
said by Forbes :

WikiLeaks: No, Media "Morons," We Didn't Help Iran Execute An Israeli Spy
5/16/2012 @ 6:11PM

Since WikiLeaks first released its flood of classified State Department memos in December of 2010, the secret-spilling site’s critics have been searching for evidence that Julian Assange’s disregard for official secrecy would directly hurt some innocent bystander.

On Wednesday, those critics seemed to have found their best evidence yet of that harm. Nevermind that the facts didn’t agree with them.

In a story Wednesday morning, The Daily Mail headlined a story “WikiLeaks cable ‘led Iran to hang kick-boxer it claims was Israeli spy who assassinated nuclear scientist,’” a story that was soon picked up by other sites in Israel and around the world.

Those stories point to the execution of Majid Jamali Fashi, a kick-boxer who was hanged in Iran Tuesday for allegedly assassinating Iranian nuclear scientist Masoud Ali-Mohammadi in January of 2010.

The Daily Mail story cited a redacted cable released by Der Spiegel and WikiLeaks in December 2010.

But here’s where the Mail’s story falls apart:
The unredacted State Department memo, names that martial arts trainer and State Department informant:
His name, though I won’t cite it here, is not Majid Jamali Fashi. And his branch of martial arts, which was also redacted in the initial release, is not kick boxing.

To fill in the blanks is this article.
said by TDiWl :

Multiple papers have been reporting a WikiLeaks cable led to the hanging of an Iranian kick-boxer. This is blatantly false. WikiLeaks sent out a series of tweets on the issue. Here are their full comments:

quote:
"Murdoch's Times tries to smear WikiLeaks for Iranian hanging. Media morons run with it, without fact checking. The absolute contempt for the readers and the truth shows why there must be urgent reform. Let us consider the Iranian smear. We have: Wrong guy. This isn't the guy in the cable. Wrong publication. Spiegel, not WL, selected the cable, but anyway, it was redacted. Wrong country. Israel isn't even mentioned in the cable. In fact, there's no connection whatsoever with the story other than it mentions martial arts. And yet dozens of "press" outlets are running with it. Idiots! Wrong timeline. The guy (that the cable, as far as can be determined, has nothing to do with) was sentenced last August. Here is the Iranian Ninja cable the idiots are going on about »www.wikileaks.org/cable/ ··· 87.html"
WikiLeaks has been under sustained DDoS attacks for at least 72 hours. WL Press has a mirror of the website in case it's unreachable.

So close.
The war on information was almost justified.

EDIT: Way to steal my glory fatness See Profile.

fatness
subtle

fishing

1 recommendation

fatness

It's going to take at least 2 of us to get in the way of the herd.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal

Re: Iran executes "spy" on word of WikiLeaks' cable

Well I had my doubts about the story but I think my (general) comments stand.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness

Even the Daily Mail article was kind of weak. The whole crux of it is captured in this snippet:
quote:
Experts believe the unauthorised publication of the U.S. Embassy document, from Baku in Azerbaijan where Fashi had taken part in a tournament, 'could have raised Iranian suspicions'.
Not exactly what the topic title says.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal
Wikileaks needs to start publishing things like any closed door meetings about new copyright law. That stuff is not protected by any secrets laws since it is related to lawmaking it by law has to be public anyway.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal
Forbes seems to have it right. Part of the problem is that the Forbes article followed by 12 hours the earlier release of the Daily Mail story, which itself seems to have been time-triggered by the news of Fashi's execution. Unless one happened to have already read the massive unredacted cable collection, they would not have known the full story... and credit goes to Forbes for digging it out. I'll leave it to others to attribute motivation to Daily Mail for how they handled this.

My problem with Wikileaks has never been so much their leakage of documents per se, as it has been the release of unredacted or poorly redacted documents that place various people in harm's way. That remains a serious concern of mine; though in this case, it appears that specific concern was not justified by the facts.

Also from the Forbes article:
quote:
It’s worth noting that the screw-ups of the Daily Mail don’t exonerate WikiLeaks from its own mishandling of the cablegate database that led to the full unredacted leak of the files in September and put untold numbers of innocent State Department sources at risk. In the days following that leak, Chinese dissident informants reportedly faced threats of violence and “witch hunts,” and at least one journalist was forced to flee his home country, escaping from Ethiopia to Uganda after receiving government threats.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

2 recommendations

Noah Vail to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

Well I had my doubts about the story but I think my (general) comments stand.

Actually Assange is Non-American.
As you frame your opinion of him, consider this.

Leaking inappropriately classified documents is ethically superior to the alternative:
• Using National Security to maintain an established system of corruption.

My government improperly classifies publicly funded documents,
in order to secure the power of government and the people in it.

That is a potent form of corruption.

Wikileaks takes meaningful steps to expose this corruption in my government.
Conversely, my government viciously targets it's own citizens, when they work to expose inappropriate government conduct.

If an effective mechanism existed that would significantly decrease government corruption, I could understand criticism of Wikileaks.

Since it does not, I can not.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness

Re: Maybe not

said by fatness:

It's going to take at least 2 of us to get in the way of the herd.

Hello! I'm sorry if the camera is blurry, but it's shedding season and the goats are scratching themselves on the camera!

»www.goatcam.com/

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW to Noah Vail

Premium Member

to Noah Vail

Re: Iran executes "spy" on word of WikiLeaks' cable

said by Noah Vail:

Actually Assange is Non-American.

I know. He's an Australian citizen. However the majority of Aussies consider America (and I know from personal experience) a friendly country. IMO Assange does not.

As I said the story, as quoted, didn't sound right to me. I highly doubt the Mossad would give the US, or anyone else, the details of one of their assets.

That said I stand by my general comments re; the US media. They seem to relish the opportunity to publish sensitive information.

KodiacZiller
Premium Member
join:2008-09-04

KodiacZiller to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

It used to be, 60-70 years ago, that people had enough sense and love for their country to use common sense and keep some things quiet. Alas those days are long gone

Assange is not American, but I get your point. Some of his close collaborators are American, however.

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4 to Noah Vail

Premium Member

to Noah Vail
said by Noah Vail:

If an effective mechanism existed that would significantly decrease government corruption, I could understand criticism of Wikileaks.

said by Blackbird:

My problem with Wikileaks has never been so much their leakage of documents per se, as it has been the release of unredacted or poorly redacted documents that place various people in harm's way. That remains a serious concern of mine

Why Assange chose to do it it the way he did i think needs to be heard.

KodiacZiller
Premium Member

3 recommendations

KodiacZiller

Premium Member

said by ashrc4:

The problem with Assange is he is simply an anti-american extreme left-winger looking for something to bitch about. He has not one ounce of journalistic integrity whatsoever. I agree with Blackbird, it's not so much Wikileaks that bothers me but the intentions of those behind it. If people within the government are wholesale breaking the law, I think we need to hear about it. I have no problem whatsoever in exposing crimes. I am as skeptical of the government as anyone out there. I agree with the efforts of the left-wing EFF and ACLU in a lot of cases, even though I consider myself a centrist.

But this isn't Assange's goal. His goal is to get anyone involved in the war effort killed. We can debate the Iraq war all day (I was against it), but any decent person would have to agree that intentionally trying to get Americans (or allies) killed is despicable. Most of the people on the ground over there are not the politicians or policy-makers, but are people simply doing their jobs. These are the people Assange is hurting. He isn't hurting the president or Congress.

Oh, but what about the innocent civilians killed, you might ask? Yeah, that sucks, but that's what happens in a warzone, no matter *how hard* you try to avoid it. The only reason the Iraq war lasted as long as it did is precisely *because* the U.S. was trying to avoid civilian casualties. Do you really think if we wanted to make that whole country a parking lot we couldn't? Get real. I always laugh when I hear people say "Oh the Iraqis and Afghanis have entangled the mighty U.S military in a stalemate." Umm, no. The only reason they have "entangled" us is because, despite a few bad apples, most of the military follows the rules of engagement. This is not something Assange's favorite nation of Iran, for instance, would do. I can assure you that. They have no problem killing innocent civilians -- in fact, they would enjoy it. Maybe Assange should go live in Iran. Let's see how long he stays alive once he double-crosses them. Lawlz.

Assange wants to complain about America using underhanded tricks to discredit him. Hey, Assange, you are a big boy (unlike your callow teenage followers). You have chosen to interject *yourself* in the big boy spy-games. Can't handle the CIA and NSA following your every move? Maybe you should have thought about that before you decided to play cyber-spy and release classified info to the web. You're in the big leagues now, facing an adversary who is much more experienced, much better funded, and frankly, much smarter than you and your band of teenagers. Deal with it.

Ultimately Assange and his band of adolescents *are* going to fail. Most of them will end up in prison. It's unfortunate as most of them are just misguided suburban kids living with their wealthy parents (who have become wealthy due to the capitalism they so despise -- ironic, huh?). These kids read Karl Marx and think they are suddenly sophisticated intellectuals. They think what they are doing is new (it's not -- we've been dealing with communists in America for many decades now). It's not new, it's not cool. It's just stupid.

ashrc4
Premium Member
australia

ashrc4 to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal
Sorry for not writing it clearer...Definitely +1 to Blackbird.
Simple Guy
join:2012-05-16

Simple Guy to Blackbird

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

Also from the Forbes article: It’s worth noting that the screw-ups of the Daily Mail don’t exonerate WikiLeaks from its own mishandling of the cablegate database that led to the full unredacted leak of the files in September and put untold numbers of innocent State Department sources at risk. In the days following that leak, Chinese dissident informants reportedly faced threats of violence and “witch hunts,” and at least one journalist was forced to flee his home country, escaping from Ethiopia to Uganda after receiving government threats.

You have nailed the crux of the matter with Wikileaks and Assange.

Unfortunately non-even the truth about the misconduct of Wikileaks and Assange can deter the herd of fanbois of JA and Wikileaks.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW to KodiacZiller

Premium Member

to KodiacZiller
said by KodiacZiller:

These kids read Karl Marx and think they are suddenly sophisticated intellectuals.

And they love to wear Che t-shirts.

Che was a murderous thug not the idealistic revolutionary he's supposed to symbolize.

I have a Cuban friend and this drives him (and me) nuts.

Why not wear a Stalin, Hitler or Idi Amin t-shirt?

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness

So on the basis of bad reporting, which you fed right into without questioning, you're now invoking Hitler.
fatness

fatness to KodiacZiller

to KodiacZiller
said by KodiacZiller:

said by ashrc4:

The problem with Assange is he is simply an anti-american extreme left-winger looking for something to bitch about. He has not one ounce of journalistic integrity whatsoever.

In the initial post and the linked article, the bad journalism was on the part of the Daily Mail.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
said by fatness:

So on the basis of bad reporting, which you fed right into without questioning, you're now invoking Hitler.

LOL. If you say so...

Anyone here can read my comments and make up their own mind.
quote:
As I said the story, as quoted, didn't sound right to me.

ashrc4
Premium Member
australia

1 recommendation

ashrc4 to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
said by fatness:

In the initial post and the linked article, the bad journalism was on the part of the Daily Mail.

Yes i agree but my comments where in respect to the sentiments posted and quoted. It does not reflect well out of that context.

KodiacZiller
Premium Member

KodiacZiller to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by KodiacZiller:

These kids read Karl Marx and think they are suddenly sophisticated intellectuals.

And they love to wear Che t-shirts

Yeah. They just don't understand anything about the nonsense they preach.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

The technical term is Useful idiot.
quote:
The term was originally used to describe Soviet sympathizers in Western countries

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal
I consider the man to be a loose cannon....

»www.americanthinker.com/ ··· ent.html
Hacking is not a victimless crime.

As a youngster when he was hacking and caught... then fined A$2,100.

"The judge said "there is just no evidence that there was anything other than sort of intelligent inquisitiveness and the pleasure of being able to—what's the expression—surf through these various computers"[2] and stated that Assange would have gone to jail for up to 10 years if he had not had such a disrupted childhood."
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ju ··· _Assange

In today's world it would not have come down like that.

If others want him to be their hero..be my guest. I think he personally will be moving on to other things after this episode..and I think he has better chances of ending up in jail than politics.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to Cabal

MVM

to Cabal
What is this wikileaks thing and who is this Assange guy? I thought they had their 15 minutes of whatever and thankfully have become a fading memory that can't fade fast enough.

Blake

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Well it goes this way if you go back to the body of the murder victim Masoud Alimohammadi compliment of wikipedia and not two news rags.

The deceased was apolitical. not even a player in the Iranian let's make a nuke thing...(that is until after his death when the govt propaganda boys started beefing up his credentials. ) Then Masoud one day decides to support the opposite party and shortly afterwards get whacked. The opposite party claims the ruling party did it. Then all the sudden the ruling party has 10 persons they pick up for the assassination .
No one ever says anymore about the 10..but then one is all of the sudden confessing he did it..and by the way I am an Israeli spy to boot.

Yet we are still left with the lingering last entry of wikipedia....."An article in Ha'aretz claimed that Western intelligence sources confirmed the truth of the confession of Majid Jamali Fashid, who said he assassinated Masoud Alimohammadi on behalf of Israel, and blamed a "third country" for exposing the plot."

Question today then is who is the "third country" that exposed the plot ?

Political views

Ali Moghari, the director of the science department of Tehran University, described Mr. Ali Mohammadi as an “apolitical professor”. “He was a well-known professor but was not politically active.” [16]
Ahmad Shirzad (reformist member of the 6th Iranian Parliament, professor of physics in Isfahan and Masoud Alimohammadi's close friend) writes "In general his beliefs and actions were close to that of moderate Muslims... During the past couple of years he had ideologically become very close to the reformist movement. In the past few elections before the recent presidency election, he had voted for the reformist candidates and had been campaigning for them too." Shirzad adds that Alimohammadi told him how he and his students took part in 2009 Iranian election protests, 16 June.[17]
The governmental media portrayed him as a "revolutionary and staunch supporter of Islamic Revolution".[18] It has been claimed by Tehran University’s Basij, or voluntary Islamist student militia, that his name was on a list of sanctioned individuals connected with Iranian nuclear program.[13] but, he was not on a compiled list[19] Mohammadi was among 240 university professors who signed a letter before the 2009 Presidential Election expressing support for the main opposition candidate, Mir Hussein Moussavi.[16]
On reporting his burial, Al-Jazeera's English web site reported on his lack of political involvement deepening the confusion over what motivation could have been behind the murder. They reported, "one of Ali Mohammadi's close friends (was quoted) as saying that the professor was never a political activist," and that, "... Mohammadi had very deep reformist tendencies but never mixed it up with his professional character." Ali Moghara, who heads the physics faculty at Tehran University, said Ali Mohammadi was just a "world famous" physicist who engaged in "no political activity".[20]

State investigation
The Iranian government has initiated an investigation and termed the blast a "terror attack with the aim of stalling Iranian scientific progress".[32][33] Iran's Press TV quoted the ministry spokesman Ramin Mehman-Parast, "Primary investigations into the assassination revealed signs of the involvement of the Zionist regime of Israel, the US and their allies in Iran". In the same article a professor at Tehran University is quoted as having said, "It is widely believed among colleagues that he was assassinated by terrorist organizations probably supported by the United States and with connections with the Americans and the Israelis under different names".[34] On 13 January 2010 Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani said, "We had received information a few days before the incident that intelligence services of the Zionist regime of Israel intend to carry out terrorist acts in Tehran in cooperation with the CIA".[35]
In January 2011, Iranian television broadcast a confession by Iranian national Majid Jamali Fashi to killing Alimohammadi on behalf of Mossad. In August 2011, he was convicted and sentenced to death by the Tehran Revolutionary Court.[36]

Media speculation
According to television network Press TV, The Iran Royal Association, an "obscure" group seeking the restoration of the monarchy, claimed that its "Tondar Commandos" are behind the assassination.[37] The BBC's Tehran correspondent Jon Leyne claimed: "Iranian media were unusually quick off the mark to report the killing, to show television pictures, and to give the sort of details that usually only emerge after hours, days, or weeks in this secretive state".[38]
An anonymous former senior official expressed doubt about the official account of Alimohammadi's assassination, and expressed concern that the assassination could be used as an excuse for violence against opposition protesters: “This is an old trick,” he said. “They did it themselves but blame it on opposition groups so that they can easily begin issuing death sentences for protesters. I think this means there could be more violence against the opposition.”[16] (See False Flag)
Opposition groups who monitor Hezbollah, the militant Lebanese movement, in Tehran, claim that a member of Hezbollah, known by his pseudonym “Abu Nasser”, was photographed at the scene of the explosion in Tehran’s affluent Gheytarih suburb.[39]
According to Iranian-Israeli analyst Meir Javedanfar, It is "possible that Mohammadi was assassinated by a foreign intelligence agency" with the aim of stopping the Iranian nuclear program and also causing embarrassment for the government of Ahmadinejad.[40][41] Flynt Leverett, director of New America Foundation, said that while it is "highly unlikely that the United States was directly involved" in the assassination, it is "possible that a group or an individual" who has received financial support as part of the $400 million dollar US covert activities program initiated under Bush administration against Iran, might have carried out the assassination.[42]
However, Iranian analyst Muhammad Sahimi thinks it unlikely that the murder was directed against Iran's nuclear program as it is engineers, not nuclear physicists, who are "leading" that program, and in any case Alimohammadi's research was in the general area of particle physics, "which is of a fundamental, rather than practical nature". Ali-Mohammadi was also not under contract with Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, according to its spokesman Ali Shirzadian, nor was he affiliated with the universities under the control of the Revolutionary Guard (Malek-Ashtar University of Technology and Imam Hossein University).[15] On the other hand "a source in Tehran" told Sahimi that Alimohammadi had worked with the Islamic Revolution Guards "on several projects in the past," and this knowledge combined with the Guard's penchant for exacting vengeance against "anyone who deserts them and joins the opposition" adds to "the suspicion that the hardliners may have had something to do with" his murder.[15]
Aljazeera reported that authorities on condition of anonymity have confirmed his involvement with Iranian nuclear program.[43] The Economist also quoted anonymous Western sources describing him as "one of the most important people involved in the [nuclear] programme".[44] It has also been reported that he was a professor at Tehran University's Physics faculty as well as a professor at the IRGC run, Imam Hossein University which houses a physics research center apparently under control of IRGC.[13] There has also been reports of a decapitation program as part of a covert war against Iran, with the aim of assassinating people that are or have been involved with Iranian nuclear program,[28][45][46] much like a similar successful program conducted in Iraq, resulting in assassination of hundreds of Iraqi scientists.[47][48][49][50] There are also reports of Israel's involvement in these covert actions,[51] while other reports suggest the creation of a joint assassination team put together by western democracies to neutralize Iranian scientists and engineers.[52][53] An article in Ha'aretz claimed that Western intelligence sources confirmed the truth of the confession of Majid Jamali Fashid, who said he assassinated Masoud Alimohammadi on behalf of Israel, and blamed a "third country" for exposing the plot.[7]

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma ··· ohammadi
Name Game

1 edit

1 recommendation

Name Game to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal
And what is Julian Assange doing these days..besides waiting to be served indictments for personal and online behavior from various agencies ?

The World Tomorrow: Julian Assange proves a useful idiot
Luke Harding reviews the WikiLeaks editor's TV interview with the Hezbollah leader

»www.guardian.co.uk/media ··· ikileaks

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· XPpooA18

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Name Game:

The World Tomorrow: Julian Assange proves a useful idiot tool