spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA

[Rant] Isn't notice required before a price increase?

And I don't mean some story on the news about it. New bill comes out today, and like everyone else, an increase (mine is $4.00+ more a month). No notification in the mail about it with a price list (in separate cover even) , and the bill has no explanation of it, even if it is one of those hollow excuses. Is that even legal?

ak3883

join:2005-08-20
Portsmouth, RI

By law it was posted somewhere, even if it was the legals section of a local free newspaper...

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
reply to catnapped

said by catnapped:

And I don't mean some story on the news about it. New bill comes out today, and like everyone else, an increase (mine is $4.00+ more a month). No notification in the mail about it with a price list (in separate cover even) , and the bill has no explanation of it, even if it is one of those hollow excuses. Is that even legal?

What possible LAW was broken?
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
reply to catnapped

Maybe you had a promo expire, or your local franchise fee went up. What changed on the bill?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to catnapped

Compare the current and previous bill details, not just the summary. See what changed and if it's a real increase or if you were charged for something you should not have.

adkinsjm

join:2004-10-13
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
reply to markofmayhem

There is a federal law regarding providing 30-days notice for changes in prices and channel lineups.
--
Former Comcast, DIRECTV, DISH, iProvo, and UTOPIA subscriber. Now with Blue Ridge Communications.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by adkinsjm:

There is a federal law regarding providing 30-days notice for changes in prices and channel lineups.

Interesting, have a link to the federal law?

Deregulation sorta broke this misconception, no?

»www.fcc.gov/guides/regulation-cable-tv-rates

LFA's can require 30 days notice, if they chose, where they have authority to do so. Not all customers fall under LFA's authority these days as DirecTV, FiOS, UVerse, and Dish provide "effective competition" in a plethora of DMA's.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to catnapped

I know what you mean. Charter sent a notice out a couple months ago about an increase. Got the increase, but then this months bill was another $1.67 more.

I know Charter has been a nickel and dime you to death company for ever, but sheesh, enough already!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

djcrazy
Premium
join:2009-08-05
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US

1 edit
reply to catnapped

Chances are the " Notice" you speak of was somewhere on your detailed bill last month.

That being said, I have been considering dropping all but maybe limited basic ( If it is cheaper to have than the $15 penalty for internet only). I rarely watch any TV any more and when I do its usually a local. What caused this? Well less than a year ago I was paying $153 ish, Now its $175.95 for the same service. For as little as I actually use the TV end of things I simply cannot justify shelling out that kind of money for it. Sure, I can afford it but that is not the point.

I don't think I will even try for a promo from online chat. I hate when I get home from work how most of the channels are useless infomercial programming.

I feel like I need to get a rape kit and counseling every time the Comcast bill arrives.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to cork1958

said by cork1958:

I know what you mean. Charter sent a notice out a couple months ago about an increase. Got the increase, but then this months bill was another $1.67 more.

I know Charter has been a nickel and dime you to death company for ever, but sheesh, enough already!

How much did taxes change? A bill increase will also typically increase taxes.

TF2_Dude

@comcast.net
reply to markofmayhem

said by markofmayhem:

said by catnapped:

What possible LAW was broken?

That is why they made the post, to find the answer to that very question.

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA
reply to djcrazy

said by djcrazy:

Chances are the " Notice" you speak of was somewhere on your detailed bill last month.

Nope...nuthin. Not even a separate notice.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

This isnt the usual time of year for price hikes. Maybe you need to call and see why it was raised.

psiu

join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to catnapped

Our Limited Basic and internet went up last month (maybe the month before). Must be those tough negotiations with PBS. And the internet...well, raise the cap, raise the price!

Think our bill has gone up around $10-12 in the last year with no change in services provided.

AndyDufresne
Premium
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN
reply to catnapped

Check your prior bills. Start 3 months back. Most folks miss it, you won't be the 1st or the last.