Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

Night Owl

join:2008-10-23
London, ON
reply to geokilla

Re: Rogers Area Modem List

Rocca,

Have you begun issuing the DCM476 modem or are you still exhausting your supply of DCM475 modems?

Maybe you can explain, in layman's terms, what the difference is between the two. I have read this post, »[Cable] Technicolor replaces DCM475 with DCM476 in lineup, but still don't fully understand what the difference means to the average user.
--
What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away. - Anonymous

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

As far as I know, the DCM476 is just the successor to the DCM475 which is likely on the road to EOL. I'd imagine our next batch of DCM47x's will be the DCM476's.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:19

For practical purposes and for most users, I expect they can be treated as equivalent. However...

The DCM475 has two tuners, allowing it to tune to two blocks of 4 channels each, where The DCM476 has only one tuner so all 8 channels must be in one block. That is, on a 475 you can tune to 95-98 and 84-87 to get your 8 channel bonding (channel numbers picked more or less at random). A 476 can only tune to one of those blocks. Presumably still allowing you 4 channel bonding.

There was some discussion here (edit: already linked up thead ):
»[Cable] Technicolor replaces DCM475 with DCM476 in lineup
--
electronicsguru.ca/for_sale/Cablemodems

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:19

Too late to edit, but I just noticed that I made a mistake in that last post..

Presumably still allowing you 4 channel bonding.
Of course that should have been "presumably still allowing 8 channel bonding." D'oh..
--
electronicsguru.ca/for_sale/Cablemodems