uniqs
share rss forum feed

hoyleysox
Premium
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA
reply to JoelTR

Re: High Speed Rail Environmental Plan Approved

I recently took the Amtrack Surfliner from SD and the Adarondack train on the east coast. Both were beautiful. Enjoyed and recommend the rides. The amtrack price for two was competitive with renting a car one way and the bus. Not so much train advantage vs planes though. Would prefer lower amtrack prices instead of faster trains.

JoelTR

join:2000-12-05
Carmichael, CA

I'm certain, many people share your point of view. I remember riding the train when I was I child, and it was a great experience. I enjoyed the ride and the sceneries as the train passed by the beautiful country side.

Postal
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA
reply to hoyleysox

Most people I know who bought round-trip Amtrack tickets ended up flying back to their destination.

The train just takes too damn long.
--
Next time you wave at me, use ALL your fingers.

hoyleysox
Premium
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA

True flying has advantages for long distances, like across the country. For medium distances, like San Diego to LA, trains are pretty competitive with driving with gas prices these days.

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV
kudos:1

9.5 Hours???

1.25 hours + TSA time

LA>SF Distance

Paris>Bordeaux Distance

High speed train reference time

said by hoyleysox:

True flying has advantages for long distances, like across the country. For medium distances, like San Diego to LA, trains are pretty competitive with driving with gas prices these days.

Okay, for this trip:

• 9 hours and 25 Minutes on the Train @ $57
or
• 1 hour and 15 Minutes + 1 hour for pat downs/total 2 hours 15 min. on plane @ $89
or
• 3 hours 10 min on a High Speed train @ $??

I have taken the Amtrack starliner to San Francisco, and just like Postal See Profile says, we all ate our return trip tickets and flew back. A high speed train would need to be competitive in terms of price...which it should be considering it can carry 600+ passengers at a time.

I would take the HSR.