spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mike975

@telus.net

SHAW PRI pricing vs. TELUS pricing

Anyone have any experience with SHAW PRI pricing? I am comparing SHAW pricing for a full 23 channel PRI between the 2 carriers and SHAW seems a few hundred cheaper per month than TELUS.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

Yes, a few hundred cheaper with Shaw's PRI is what I had found when I priced it too.

Fiber internet, prices go back and forth by several thousand, depending on speed.

At say 10mbps one is cheaper, at 30 and 50mbps the other is cheaper, at 100, the first is cheaper again.

Have you only looked at Telus and Shaw?

With Shaw the 10 DIDs and the 2000 LD minutes included each month are both nice bonuses as well.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Mike975

@telus.net

I have only looked at SHAW. I know MTS Allstream has service in my area also.

Interesting thing when I compare apples to apples... SHAW gives you one free month of service each year eg. on a 3 year contract. Also they don't charge for caller id and station level billing. Those alone including cheaper monthly service by a few hundred dollars make it tempting!

I haven't looked into PRI pricing since deregulation has occurred in most of the Telco areas here in BC.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12

Hey Mike,

If you'd like me to connect you with a member of our Business Solutions team, they'd be able to answer any further questions you had.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to Mike975

Techinally, Caller-ID is a free service, charging for it is extra money for the provider.

The infomation is sent from the calling station, as part of the call setup. Blocking it takes more work for the provider.

Just remember, when you call for support on the T1, don't call Shaw cable
--

scouzer

join:2007-10-15
Lloydminster, AB
reply to Mike975

Anyone have any experience with what a 1gbps pipe from Shaw costs? Thought about trying to get our condos on an MDU fat shared pipe type thing...

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

1gbps, a lot

While I haven't asked about this speed specifically in the past, judging from what I have seen, around $100,000/month plus/minus $30k-50k for unlimited traffic
--

scouzer

Lloydminster, AB

What the hell? $100k a month? How do all these condominium units afford expenses like that?

Considering consumers can get 1 gigabit connections in other countries for less than $100/mo....

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

1 edit

I haven't seen any condominium units in Canada with 1 gbps connections.

Figure out what speed you 'want' to offer each unit, example 50mbps, if you order a 50mbps line, you should be able to feed approx 20-30 units with that.

That is also un-shared, meaning you, by contract, have that speed across the provider's network and at peering sites (but not on peered providers), without having to share that bandwidth with any other customers.

Which is why it costs so much, you are essentially reserving 1gbps for your use, if you are in Kelowna, Shaw might have 50gbps of capacity access to their 'core' network (I have no idea what it is but for example purposes). They are promising you 1gpbs will be available to you at all times.

If 121 Fake Street and 124 Fake Street both have 1gbps connections, the provider can not have 1.5gbps going to Fake Street, in hopes that both 121 and 124 are not using their lines at 100% at any one time together. There must be enough capacity for both addresses. - Which as we know, does not happen on residental connections.

--

scouzer

Lloydminster, AB

Hmm... I had not considered the extent that users could share a connection. If we wanted to offer 60 units 50mbps, we'd be looking at spending significantly more than if everyone bought their own BB50 plans independently.

I'm not sure how that makes sense--I thought many units grouped together into a guaranteed subscription (units can't opt out) would get more speed for less money.

Mike975

@telus.net
reply to kevinds

Thanks Kevinds. I told the TELUS rep the offer I had from SHAW and he took it back to see what he could do. I guess I will wait and see what happens!

I am hesitant to sign more than a 3 year contract as I see us migrating to SIP trunks in the next few years anyhow.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to kevinds

said by kevinds:

Shaw might have 50gbps of capacity access to their 'core' network (I have no idea what it is but for example purposes).

Considering »www.shawbusinesssolutions.ca/sbs···_map.jsp and current DWDM technologies on fiber, most carriers can support between 1 tbps to 8.8 tbps per fiber pair. That is raw Layer 2 throughput, not Layer 3 IP throughput.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

1 edit
reply to scouzer

Those 60 units with Shaw, will share 8 DOCSIS channels, ~300mbps,

It is unlikely that at 50mbps there will be conjestion, the usual oversubscription ratio last time I needed to do calculations, was 20:1, needing approximately 150mbps of capacity.

If all, or at least most of the condominium residents are interested, the condominium association could go to Shaw for a bulk-rate for 50mbps service, get a substantial discount that way, one thing to get stated if going this route, is that is certian residents want higher speeds/packages, they are able to pay for them and keep the discount of the bulk internet. This is more of having a contact/sales rep who can put in the discount codes properly.

--

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to Mike975

Shaw has the SIP trunks to, get a migration clause in your contact, to finish the contact when you switch to SIP in the future
--

Mike975

@telus.net

said by kevinds:

Shaw has the SIP trunks to, get a migration clause in your contact, to finish the contact when you switch to SIP in the future

Thanks good advice. Will defanatly add a migration clause!

dazman09

join:2010-10-28
reply to Mike975

We switched from Sasktel PRI to Shaw PRI saving about $550/mo. (almost half the cost) Funny thing is, Sasktel still provides the last mile connection so a Sasktel tech came an installed the exact same PRI modem. Then a week after the switch another tech came and removed the old one.

Been happy with the line so far. Had one major service outtage in September when Shaw had a Nationwide call routing problem. And trouble getting E-911 working properly, but I believe its ironed out now.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

May have been my location then,

Shaw was going to run a fiber line, to deliver the PRI.

Everywhere is unique then.

-Posted from my phone.

Nitroxide1

join:2012-05-22
reply to kevinds

said by kevinds:

1gbps, a lot

While I haven't asked about this speed specifically in the past, judging from what I have seen, around $100,000/month plus/minus $30k-50k for unlimited traffic

haahahahahahahahhahahahha

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

said by Nitroxide1:

said by kevinds:

1gbps, a lot

haahahahahahahahhahahahha

What?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to Nitroxide1

I was given quotes between $1000-$1500 for 10mbps unlimited

$6000-$8000 for 50mbps unlimted transfer

$10000-$17000 for 100mpbs unlimited transfer

The price per mpbs was fairly consitant with all the prices I was quoted.
--

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca

where these prices are from, Shaw? they kinda expensive. unlimited transfer is good though.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

Shaw, Telus, Allstream, Bell

The prices varied slightly, wasn't exactly 100/mbps all the way, but fairly close, Telus was cheaper at one speed, but not others for example.

10mbps you can do 3.3TB traffic in each direction.

100mbps 33TB each direction.

-Posted from my phone.

Nitroxide1

Vancouver prices were just under $8k a month for a gig connection to Delta using Telus (but not buying from Telus) Nobody is going to pay $30k a month for internet.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

1 gbps connection? How much transfer included each month?

One of my quotes was from GT in Winnipeg a number of years ago,

My latest quote was from a place 30 miles from Vancouver.

8k/month is very cheap compared to what I was quoted.

-Posted from my phone.

Nitroxide1

Unlimited. So far in the last 6 months almost 140TB has been transferred.