Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew

Re: Require DOCSIS 3 modem?

I fully trust the persons (more than one...more than one position at Oceanic both here in Hilo and on Oahu - plant head, technical head, etc several of whom I have personally known (and been friends with) for as long as 37 years (since we first got cable in my building). I don't believe for one minute that they are lying and you, who don't even live in Hawaii, know more about Oceanic than they do.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Well, with the recent changes that TWC has been trying to push it seems that they are trying to consolidate their Internet plans on a nationwide basis, at least in all the territories that they operate including your Oceanic group. If TWC has a hand in it, like the Oceanic group as you say, they will most likely end up being pressed into changes that TWC has been pushing to other territories that they run. This will include standardizing the hardware and configurations used in all of their footprints including all the headend equipment, CMTS, and node hardware in the field.

What does this mean for you as an Oceanic customer? Probably a more consistent service lineup that is more inline with the rest of the TWC company. Other territories are starting to allow users to own their own cable modems minus support for them. Most likely you will see the same option to do so in the future with the consolidation that they are trying to do across their markets.

I've tried to stay civil in this conversation and maintain my posts with facts, nothing else.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

DocDrew to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Pay attention to your modem's data channels, I'm sure you'll find them changing occasionally. When it does make a note of the channel ID, frequencies, modulation type, and symbol rate.

Look for upstream modulations of 8, 32, or 64 QAM; symbol rates of 5120, and/or ATDMA or SCDMA modulation. Any of that is a sure sign of DOCSIS 2 being used.

BTW, I never said the people you were talking to were lying, I said I wouldn't trust them to know.

Konaguy
Live From Hawaii
Premium Member
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI
·Hawaiian Telcom

Konaguy

Premium Member

I highly doubt Oceanic would have all their subscribers turn in their modems for a DOCSIS 3.0 compatible modem. Most subscribers here are still on DOCSIS 1.1, so it would be a nightmare to force everyone to switch all at once.

Oceanic is buying solely DOCSIS 3.0 modems from now on. I believe they'll replace these modems whenever subscribers upgrade, etc.