Premium Member

to Simple Guy

Re: [IE] IE 9 Enlarging Google Search Box

Click for full size
Picture #1
Click for full size
Picture #2
said by Simple Guy:

For the purpose of my question, the OP and the topic of the thread, please respectfully no post why or why you don’t like IE or what Browser you do like or why I should switch. I’m just interested in solving and discussing my one problem with IE. Thanks.

First, let me say that I totally agree with this statement. In another thread, jacour See Profile posted a question about which IE9 version should they use (32 or 64 bit). Mine was the 2nd reply, building off the answer of another member. However, the thread then turned into a "Why IE sucks, you should never use it" and so on.

This is a Microsoft forum, and if someone has a question about IE, I think we all need to try to help answer the question at hand, instead of ripping on IE.

Now, onto your question!

I normally don't use IE 9 as my default browser, but I do have it installed, and I'm always looking to help people out. However, I cannot seem to find a way to "turn on" the google search box. I went and added google to my search provider list, but no matter what I do, I cannot get the box you're talking about to come up. So, if you could let me know that, I'll see if I can help you more.

Barring that, I am wondering if your issue is screen size. Now, I'm using waterfox, so this may be different, but I'm wondering if it applies to IE9 as well.

If you look at the first picture I posted, I have waterfox open full screen, and my resolution is set to 1680 x 1050. As you can see, I can get a full 50 characters in the box, before it starts to scroll.

Now, if I change my screen resolution to be 800 x 600 (2nd picture), I can only get 21 characters before they start to scroll off the screen.

I also know that if I don't have the browser open full screen, the search box is also smaller.

I see you already tried to put the cursor near the edge of the box, giving you the double arrows. But, no matter what you do, you cannot change the size. That is what I was going to say you try, but it looks like you already did!

Again, I'm not sure what your screen resolution is, but that may be something to look into, until I can figure out how to get the box to show up in IE9 to begin with.

--Brian
Simple Guy
join:2012-05-16

Simple Guy

said by plencnerb:

said by Simple Guy:

For the purpose of my question, the OP and the topic of the thread, please respectfully no post why or why you don’t like IE or what Browser you do like or why I should switch. I’m just interested in solving and discussing my one problem with IE. Thanks.

First, let me say that I totally agree with this statement. In another thread, jacour See Profile posted a question about which IE9 version should they use (32 or 64 bit). Mine was the 2nd reply, building off the answer of another member. However, the thread then turned into a "Why IE sucks, you should never use it" and so on.

This is a Microsoft forum, and if someone has a question about IE, I think we all need to try to help answer the question at hand, instead of ripping on IE.

Thanks for understanding. I actually feel sorry for many posters in many different forums that ask a straightforward question in a civil or polite manner and are met with 25-100 or more response of which half don't even address the question and some outright demean or attack the poster's intelligence or question.

I solved the problem. The Google search box was part of the Google Toolbar. The box was positioned about two inches from the right side of my screen. Between it and the right edge of the screen were icons for other functions.

I found a drop down menu that included a unlock toobar option indicating the toolbar was locked. I unlocked it. I still could not expand the toolbar as is but I could drag it to the left farther away from the right side of the screen. Then I could expand the box as much as I want moving the expansion from left to right.

Whew!

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by Simple Guy:

I solved the problem.
Whew!

I'm glad you figured it out!

I kind of figured there was something else going on there, as you should have been able to adjust the size with the double arrow thing. But, if the toolbar is locked, you cannot do that.

--Brian