how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tpkatl

join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

[DVR] Xfinity DVR chopping up recordings

This is a new and infrequent phenomenon. Most recently happened the night before last.

I set a new recording to take place - let's say from 11:00pm ending at 1:40am. When I look the next morning, I see that the recording was made, but it is in 5-6 pieces, each one a couple of minutes each, except for the last one, which was 45 minutes long. And when you look at each piece, you get the "this recording was interrupted and may be incomplete" warning.

Why is this happening? Does Comcast do something at midnight that interrupts the DVR process? Do I need a new set top box? (Mine is Motorola with the internal DVR).

Is this a known problem?

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

model number?

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to tpkatl

What channels (names or call letters), what programs, was this in HD or SD? Thanks.

tpkatl

join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA
reply to tpkatl

Motorola DCH3416 - Recording a non-HD channel. I was recording a movie, probably from Encore, but I don't remember which channel specifically.

I don't think it is a signal issue, because my Comcast HSI modem log does not show errors.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

said by tpkatl:

I don't think it is a signal issue, because my Comcast HSI modem log does not show errors.

You can't always go by that. The video QAM carrier frequencies for many channels can be quite different from those used by the cable modem downstream QAM carriers (typically >500 Mhz). The DVR may also be off of another splitter/amp/etc. in your home cabling.

I've had problems at lower frequencies, due to bad connections, that did not significantly affect other higher frequency video channels or my cable modem.

You need to see what the DVR's diagnostic screen shows for that channel's signal level, SNR and errors.

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to tpkatl

said by tpkatl:

This is a new and infrequent phenomenon. Most recently happened the night before last.

I set a new recording to take place - let's say from 11:00pm ending at 1:40am. When I look the next morning, I see that the recording was made, but it is in 5-6 pieces, each one a couple of minutes each, except for the last one, which was 45 minutes long. And when you look at each piece, you get the "this recording was interrupted and may be incomplete" warning.

Why is this happening? Does Comcast do something at midnight that interrupts the DVR process? Do I need a new set top box? (Mine is Motorola with the internal DVR).

Is this a known problem?

This could be a result of an Emergency Alert System interruption (EAS). My experience when this happens is that some other channel shows up for awhile. Strange things happen while viewing a live program, and I have noticed that DVR recordings are also all screwed up.
--
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

Sherlock Holmes in
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
A. C. Doyle
Strand Magazine, October 1891

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to tpkatl

I've seen recordings split due to an EAS message. They typically occur around 1-3am, and are somewhat random on what day they occur. You can see when the last EAS occurred in the iGuide diagnostics.

Usually, when it does happen, I've only seen it split once. But then, unless you are awake and watching when it happens, you never know if they had a several in a row trying to test something.

I'm not certain a signal problem would cause a split. It usually just causes a jump in time when you play it back if it was a total signal loss.