uniqs
rick0204
join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

rick0204

All digital in Hudson County NJ

I received the letter yesterday that all TV's must have a digital cable box by June 19. Customers can pick up or be shipped as many additional boxes as they need and they will be free for one year. I hope this means that DVR+ will be available soon.

VinceA
join:2000-08-29
Bayonne, NJ

VinceA

Re: All digital in Hidson County NJ

Is this all of the county, including Bayonne, or is there a specific "Hudson County" system?
rick0204
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204

If you don't get the letter then your area is not ready yet. You can call CS to ask.
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM to rick0204

to rick0204
All systems will be converted to digital and get DVR+ by the end of the year per the last earnings conference call.

A non
@151.190.0.x

A non to VinceA

Anon

to VinceA
Rick is in North Bergen, which is covered by Cablevision of Hudson County.

Bayonne is covered by Cablevision of New Jersey, Inc.

See - »www.nj.gov/bpu/pdf/cable ··· 2011.pdf
rick0204
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204

You are correct. That means Bayonne may not have the same date for the conversion.
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM

Bayone is 6/5-14

The full NJ list is available here:
»optimum.custhelp.com/app ··· elated/1
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

Click for full size

mech1164
I'll Be Back
join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

mech1164 to rick0204

to rick0204
Love how Oakland system is 6/5-9/13 A 3 month uncertainty window. Only CV could be allowed to get away with this.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

Raritan isn't even mentioned. Head end is in Warren, which isn't mentioned either.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69 to dm145

to dm145
I don't get it either why there's date ranges but no specific dates. I guess CV has to always have a margin of error since them sticking to a certain date never pans out in reality.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145

Not to mention some towns listed are already digital

uroberto
join:2001-05-01
Bridgewater, NJ

uroberto to aannoonn

to aannoonn
said by aannoonn :

Raritan isn't even mentioned. Head end is in Warren, which isn't mentioned either.

Piscataway is part of the Raritan system.
jpr281
join:2006-01-12
Shirley, NY

jpr281 to kickass69

to kickass69
said by kickass69:

I don't get it either why there's date ranges but no specific dates. I guess CV has to always have a margin of error since them sticking to a certain date never pans out in reality.

Probably why they never announce new channels before they're added. They always wait until the channels are live to put out a PR.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to uroberto

Anon

to uroberto
said by uroberto:

said by aannoonn :

Piscataway is part of the Raritan system.

Piscataway has its own head end, so any changeover for the Warren head end would probably be on a different date.

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to dm145

to dm145
said by dm145:

I am on the Paterson system and got a letter that says after June 5 I will need a box on every TV in order to continue to get the following channels:

- Antenna TV
- Estrella TV
- Jewelry Television
- Kids Thirteen
- Live Well
- NBC NY Non-Stop
- NYC Life
- TBN
- Vme
- WFME
- WLIW Create
- WLIW Digital
- WLIW World

These are all channels in Broadcast Basic and can be gotten without a box right now. Everything else outside of Broadcast Basic needs a box currently.

So it seems like Cablevision has decided to encrypt most of Broadcast Basic, with the exception of C-Span, News12 and the major broadcast networks (but their sub channels are being encrypted).

Does anyone know if the "unlimited free boxes for a year" applies to accounts that already have boxes? I didn't have any boxes, just Cable Cards.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145

sounds like they are doubling back to the areas that have been digital for a while and are now encrypting all but 2,4,5,7,9,11,13 and the spanish channels

lets be honest, the amount of customers that even know how to receive these channels is miniscule

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35 to Jmartz0

Anon

to Jmartz0
said by Jmartz0:

said by dm145:

I am on the Paterson system and got a letter that says after June 5 I will need a box on every TV in order to continue to get the following channels:

- Antenna TV
- Estrella TV
- Jewelry Television
- Kids Thirteen
- Live Well
- NBC NY Non-Stop
- NYC Life
- TBN
- Vme
- WFME
- WLIW Create
- WLIW Digital
- WLIW World

These are all channels in Broadcast Basic and can be gotten without a box right now. Everything else outside of Broadcast Basic needs a box currently.

So it seems like Cablevision has decided to encrypt most of Broadcast Basic, with the exception of C-Span, News12 and the major broadcast networks (but their sub channels are being encrypted).

Does anyone know if the "unlimited free boxes for a year" applies to accounts that already have boxes? I didn't have any boxes, just Cable Cards.

Wait, aren't they just simply going digital with those channels? Are you saying you have a ClearQAM TV and get those channels now directly without a box or just a normal anolog?

In lots of places they went digital (doesn't mean encrypted) but left basic channels also available in anolog. it would just seem they are removing all anolog channels now so you'll need a box (or QAM TV) to get them.

AFAIK - CT is all digital so but my QAM TV picks up about 20-30 channels no problem. Only in NYC do they encrypt even basic channels which then requires a box/cable card to view. If your area is digital then basic is available via QAM (other than NYC as I said).

Jmartz0
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0

I get those channels in the clear QAM. I think TBN is the only "analog" one in the list that will go away.

I can get broadcast basic in analog (not the sub channels though) and clear QAM if I can find the digital version. My TV doesn't map them to the right channels, I can usually find them in the 88.1 range, but even that changes randomly every other day it seems. I just picked up 4 free boxes to supplement the Tivo. Now if I want to use VOD I can. After the year is up, I just go back to the Tivo only. Maybe keep one box just for fun.
spc111
join:2003-12-09
NJ

1 edit

spc111 to rick0204

to rick0204
I just saw this notice in my monthly bill, I didn't get a separate letter (at least I did not see one). I am in Bergen County and it said that I will need boxes as of June 19th. Great! Only 20 days notice!

I have a couple DVRs (ReplayTV) that will now need boxes and I don't have IR blasters, so I need to scramble to get some.

I figured this day would come at some point, but I assumed they would give us notice well in advance.

Hopefully, the free boxes for a year is good for Bergen as well (gives me time to look in to a cable card based DVR), otherwise I will really not be happy.

Jmartz0
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to rick0204

to rick0204
I saw that notice in my parents bill when I told them to get ready to need boxes on every tv. It also had the June date. I'm starting to wonder if they just put the same message in all of the bills to get people to go get boxes and not wait until the very last second?

When I showed the letter to the guy at the store, he was like, "thanks for coming early, it's going to get very busy here soon"... they also had hundreds of boxes on the shelves and stacked on the floor... they were freshly stocked.
rick0204
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204

You can get as many boxes as you want free for one year. It does not matter what is in your house currently. But you can not bring back boxes you are currently paying for if you already have free ones in the house. If you bring one back after installing the free ones then the one you bring back will be one of the free ones. It does not matter what box you actually bring back, you will just lose one of the free promos.
spc111
join:2003-12-09
NJ

spc111

What if you bring back the payed ones before you get the free ones??? (jk)

I requested 4 new SD boxes, but they could only send me 3 without having an installer come out to my house (already have 2). So I settled for 3 for now and will probably get the 4th at some point in the future (then he will only have to install that one and I don't have to parade him all over the house hooking up boxes, although I assume he will still want to check levels on all the boxes). I also want to install them on my own time because it takes time to set them up with the DVRs and I want to do it when they are not recording anything.

Will these new SD boxes be the same as my existing ones (SA Explorer 4200)? Or at least use the same IR codes (the same old remote will work) for when programming my IR blaster?

Thanks

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to rick0204

Anon

to rick0204
The boxes may be free, but do you still get hit with the additional outlet fee? Leave it to CV to make "free" = $1.50/month.

sff
join:1999-07-20
New Rochelle, NY

sff to rick0204

to rick0204
My Dad is well over 80. He had broadcast basic with no boxes. They promised him (2) free boxes for two years. I guess they felt guilty for charging $14/month for $9/month service. My brother who has IO + family cable got a box for free for a year.

xirian
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

xirian to rick0204

Premium Member

to rick0204
the offer when your area goes all digital is as many free boxes as you need to add on for a year, but any current boxes won't suddenly be free and you can't get around it by returning one and adding another.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to aannoonn

to aannoonn
said by aannoonn :

The boxes may be free, but do you still get hit with the additional outlet fee? Leave it to CV to make "free" = $1.50/month.

I know they changed it after they delayed LI's all digital in Suffolk County (by giving unlimited boxes free instead of a number based on how many you had), but if you had only one box prior to the free ones, they waive the premium outlet fee. If you had 0 or 2+, you had to pay the fee.
rick0204
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204

You have to pay the additional outlet fee as long as you have at least one additional box - free or not.

TheMan2
@optonline.net

TheMan2

Anon

I had one HD box and got 2 free SD boxes sent to me on the Wappingers Falls NY system. They did credit back the additional outlet fee with the free box promo. Although I have since added a cable card so I suspect I will get charged for that and have to then pay the additional outlet fee. They were to drop Analog here on 5/22 but it's still on. They never published a window of time but obviously there is one!

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to rick0204

to rick0204
You should get free boxes for a year. Seems to be a pretty standard process at this point.