spc
uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to telco_mtl

to telco_mtl

Re: Basement renovation project

It's the only picture I had on hand while I'm at work. Ignore the junk around it.

It's a hole in the concrete slab, about 2 feet in diameter. It's filled with gravel.

There is a sump pump drain line above it, not connected to anything. Since the house was built in 1964 and the drain line is black PVC, I guess it was added after construction. There is also an electric receptacle installed next to the hole. So there may have been a sump pump and was removed for not needing it.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

wow, ok, yeah, that is somthing i would recomend you keep accessible! they do sell sealable lids at the depot, im going to talk to my basement guy for suggestions

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Why would I want to seal it? Shouldn't it stay open so any water leaking into the basement, or a pipe breaking, cause water to flow towards that hole?

If you meant a drain grill, okay, but all the floor around it would be as described in my first post. DeltaFL/MS + XPS + Plywood + Final floor.

Since the deltaFL/MS is designed to let humidity (And water) flow, then I guess I'd need to keep the floor layers exposed where it stops at the french drain?
telco_mtl

telco_mtl

said by alkizmo:

Why would I want to seal it? Shouldn't it stay open so any water leaking into the basement, or a pipe breaking, cause water to flow towards that hole?

If you meant a drain grill, okay, but all the floor around it would be as described in my first post. DeltaFL/MS + XPS + Plywood + Final floor.

Since the deltaFL/MS is designed to let humidity (And water) flow, then I guess I'd need to keep the floor layers exposed where it stops at the french drain?

most houses of your vintage in our area have a catch basin in the basement for the french drain that is then plumbed or pumped to the sanitary sewer, except in kirkland where they have homes plumbed to the storm sewer as well. this french drain pit was conceived to catch what was comming from around the house and pipe it to a sump pump. not to colect what is spilled in the basement.

You dont want an open pit like that in your basement especially considering there is radon in the montreal areal.

im going to talk to a collegue who is more familiar with pierrefonds and get back to you.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Wow, you're going to get me an expert opinion for my borough? Telco, you're a one of a kind, kind guy!

And ya, you're right about the main purpose of the french drain, but I thought it would be an added bonus to have it drain away water in case a pipe or the water heater leak.
telco_mtl

telco_mtl

said by alkizmo:

Wow, you're going to get me an expert opinion for my borough? Telco, you're a one of a kind, kind guy!

And ya, you're right about the main purpose of the french drain, but I thought it would be an added bonus to have it drain away water in case a pipe or the water heater leak.

thats what floor drains are for. you would be surprised about the huge differences from borough to borough on the west island... heck they were still burying oil tanks in roxboro in the 70s!

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by telco_mtl:

thats what floor drains are for.

There are no other floor drains except for a little hole made to drain the furnace's condensation pump.

It would require drilling in the concrete slab wouldn't it?
said by telco_mtl:

you would be surprised about the huge differences from borough to borough on the west island... heck they were still burying oil tanks in roxboro in the 70s!

I can imagine. They each had their own water supply, sewer treatment systems, soil is different, elevation is different, closeness to the water varies.

I'm glad my municipal taxes are so much cheaper than those of Kirkland and Beaconsfield
telco_mtl

telco_mtl

kirkland you pay a lot for that second pipe that saves the city money!

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by telco_mtl:

kirkland you pay a lot for that second pipe that saves the city money!

Pierrefonds has storm sewers as well
telco_mtl

telco_mtl

but kirkland actually has a second pipe leading into the house to take the french drain and downspout water.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

You'd think the constructors would have done that.
It's not like people can't just burry a PVC pipe a few inches under their front lawn to the street. I see a lot of sump pump pipe lines terminating through the street curb, which would lead the water to the street storm drains