The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to lev

Re: [bug] Line Monitor Dynamic IP Not Updating

said by lev:

xz4gb8 See Profile told me that switching from dynamic to static to dynamic worked for him a few days ago; just last night he said it wasn't quite the case. I've invited him to post details of his experience here.

My guess would be that he left the IP address in the static IP field, and also enabled and entered the dynamic IP hostname. The line monitor will still use the value in the static IP field, even if the dynamic IP checkbox is checked and a dynamic IP hostname is entered.

However if the IP address for that connection changes, the monitor will not actually try to resolve the hostname, and it will continue to use the last IP address that was entered manually. If that old IP address remains unused by anyone, the monitor will report that there is no connectivity, but if someone else snags that old IP address, then that party's connection will be what the line monitor tests (not your connection). I have seen both scenarios since the site rebuild.

Over the weeked I removed the static IP address entry, killed the monitor, and created a new dynamic IP monitor account for the dynamic IP connection that I monitor. I plan to just leave it that way and wait for Justin to fix the problem (or not). It was to much of a PITA to try to keep manually updating the the IP address changes for that particular DSL circuit. That particular circuit is not very stable, and it resyncs frequently, and that is mainly why I (used to) use the DSLR line monitor for it.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
Short term I wouldn't mind manually updating the IP as static. Unfortunately even that does not work now.
Things that do not work:
Dynamic (no IP address coded dynamic checked)
Static (IP address coded and hostname blank, dynamic unchecked)
Hybrid (Manually coding IP address and coding hostname and dynamic checked where IP address matches the dynamic IP at the time)

xz4gb8
Premium
join:2005-01-10
Plymouth, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·EarthLink
reply to pende_tim
Yup, I thought cycling the settings had reset something, but the next time the lease renewed with a new IP Address, monitoring did not pick up the change. I can ping via DNS name and manual setting of IP Address makes monitoring work -- until the next IP Address change. The dyndns daemon log shows checking every fifteen minutes and catches every change. But DSLR Monitoring apparently does not use the DNS name.

lev
Anyone else remember ISDN?
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
join:2001-05-30
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by lev:

xz4gb8 See Profile told me that switching from dynamic to static to dynamic worked for him a few days ago; just last night he said it wasn't quite the case. I've invited him to post details of his experience here.

Over the weekend I removed the static IP address entry, killed the monitor, and created a new dynamic IP monitor account for the dynamic IP connection that I monitor. I plan to just leave it that way and wait for Justin to fix the problem (or not). It was to much of a PITA to try to keep manually updating the the IP address changes for that particular DSL circuit. That particular circuit is not very stable, and it resyncs frequently, and that is mainly why I (used to) use the DSLR line monitor for it.

Justin hadn't been on the site in nearly 5 months before the crash, and hasn't been on in the past two weeks. Waiting for him isn't a realistic option. nil See Profile is going to be the one fixing it, as she gets to it. Definitely trustworthy and capable hands, but I figure they're still full enough cleaning stuff up that I'm just going to wait for her to notice this thread on her own.

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL
Just for grins I changed my problem monitor back to Fixed IP and low and behold it seemed to have started working. I then changed it back to Dynamic IP and it still seems to be working. This line is one who's IP should not change so I don't really know if the monitor will track an IP if it does change but at least the monitor is working for now.
J

mjf
" "
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-05
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3
"IP from this DNS:" is still not working.

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL
Even static ip wasn't working for me so this is an improvement.

mjf
" "
Premium,Mod
New Orleans, LA
Yes. If I use DynSite to update the monitor, all is well.

However, the monitor is not detecting a change to the "IP from this DNS:" when the IP address changes.

I note a comment made back in 2009 saying it wasn't working then either. I wonder if it ever worked.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by mjf:

Yes. If I use DynSite to update the monitor, all is well.

However, the monitor is not detecting a change to the "IP from this DNS:" when the IP address changes.

I note a comment made back in 2009 saying it wasn't working then either. I wonder if it ever worked.

Yes, it did. I had been using it with the DynDNS client that is builtin to the Netopia 3347 DSL router since March 2011 with no problems.

However, originally this site did only approve DYNSITE (or similar DDNS clients) that directly update through this site. That is why it needs your DSLR authentication credentials and the site assigned "Unique number for dynamic DNS client". It was only a couple of years back that this site changed its monitoring service so that any DDNS service would work (using any valid hostname that resolved to the correct IP address) because the line monitor would simply do a DNS lookup for the hostname.

The server restore appears to have reverted back to the old method where it does not do DNS lookups, and once again requires the DDNS client to directly update its IP address with this site. Unfortunately, those who must use the builtin DDNS client in a SOHO router, are now (once again) not able to use this site's line monitor for dynamic IP address connections.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

mjf
" "
Premium,Mod
New Orleans, LA
Thanks, I appreciate the confirmation that it had been working.

xz4gb8
Premium
Plymouth, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·EarthLink
reply to pende_tim
I use dyndns. The Line Monitor worked consistently until the "great crash". Putting in a manual address worked for a while, until my address changed again. I tried creating a new host with monitor-id.dyndns.org. It appeared to work for a while and then stopped.

The dynamic hostname can be resolved on the net and the dyndnsupdater daemon is working properly and responding to address changes, checking every fifteen minutes.

I have depended on data from monitoring to bludgeon^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hpersuade tech support that there really is a problem. Now I can't do that.

I am at a complete loss as to what to do next.

HELP!

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
reply to pende_tim
Bump..... Any activity going on to fix this bug?

Tim

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by pende_tim:

Bump..... Any activity going on to fix this bug?

Tim

I don't have any insight about what is specifically being done, but (at least for the DynDNS connection that I monitor), I can once again manually enter the current IP address to keep the monitor working after AT&T resyncs and assigns a new IP address. That had stopped working for a while, so apparently something has been going on behind the curtain.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
Yes manually entering the IP works for me also, until Verizon changes the address.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
kudos:2
reply to pende_tim
So, what is the status of this repair? Any intention of actually fixing it or should we all just move on to something more reliable?

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by RadioDoc:

So, what is the status of this repair? Any intention of actually fixing it or should we all just move on to something more reliable?

It may eventually get fixed (but don't hold your breath while waiting). It took years to get support for dynamic IP clients that did not require communicating directly with dslreports.com, so it will probably take at least that long to get that fix put back in after the server crash recovery apparently killed that feature (or perhaps even longer since the site owner no longer pays any attention to this site unless it crashes).
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL
Yeah, my experience has been if it isn't dealt with in a couple of weeks it won't be, and I've got a *lot* of experience.

Thanks for your comment...makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone.

jwf1776

join:2003-06-02
Winfield, KS
reply to mjf
Is there a procedure for getting my money back if this isn't going to work for me?

TechMike

join:2008-06-09
Denver, CO
reply to pende_tim
Glad I read this thread before I decided to actually pay for line monitoring.

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL
reply to jwf1776
said by jwf1776:

Is there a procedure for getting my money back if this isn't going to work for me?

Contact cabana See Profile

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
reply to pende_tim
The cron job machine was choking, it is fixed now and I'm working out why it gets choked after a long time, sorry about that.

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
Hi justin,
Thanks for looking at the DynDns issue. It appears that the Line Monitor feature is now resolving the IP from the DynDns name, however, the graphing does not seem to be functioning now for newly resolved IP addresses.
I have one that resolved about 7:00AM as shown on the setup page, but the graph is not showing any data.
--

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
reply to justin
Looks like by creating a new monitor, it is now resolving the IP and updating the graph.
--

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
reply to justin
This bug is now "killed". All monitors are updating properly.
Thanks, justin
--

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL

1 recommendation

reply to pende_tim
Thank you Justin.

xz4gb8
Premium
Plymouth, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·EarthLink

1 edit
reply to pende_tim
I never could make monitoring work again using any of the hints given, so I gave up looking at monitoring for a while. Then, about July 25, it started working and shows constant connectivity except for 20 to forty minutes every time my WAN IP address changes. I hope that, since it has worked for about two weeks, it will continue.

The monitoring graph has been a potent tool in discussions with my ISP and I really appreciate it.

And, now I found that it's working because Justin Fixed It. Thanks, Justin.

xz4gb8
Premium
Plymouth, MI
reply to pende_tim
Well, the problem is back. My monitor went down again a day or two ago. I have tried creating a new monitor. Perhaps that will make a difference.

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
yes it is fubared again. could it be related to the power outage early in the weekend?
--

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
Most likely,and it's already on the list. Best way to handle it in the interim is just to edit your existing monitor by changing only the IP in the edit screen. That will retain the historical data.
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

xz4gb8
Premium
Plymouth, MI
reply to pende_tim
After creating a new monitor, the data resumed as of midnight.

Note - I tried to put in an IPv6 address, but it could not be entered.