how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC

[XPHome] WinXP attempts drive installs at every bootup and fails

Windows XP media edition running on an HP desktop. The old DVD burner died, so I installed a new burner and updated the firmware on the original HD (supplied from HP driver downloads) at the same time.

Now, every time I boot up, XP sees new devices for the HD and the DVD burner, then fails to find a driver for them. If I hit Cancel on both driver installs, the machine functions normally and there are no (!) marks in the Device Manager window (although XP shows the DVD burner as a CD in Explorer).

However, I can't stop XP from trying (and failing) to install drivers every time I boot up. I read somewhere that replacing an INF file with the original XP INF may help, but have not tried this.

Aranarth_t

join:2012-05-03

Re: [XPHome] WinXP attempts drive installs at every bootup and f

Try updating the driver while looking at the device properties in the device manager.

Let it look for drivers using windows update. You might get lucky.

Also try windowsupdate.microsoft.com sometimes it finds drivers for you.
(This works WAY better in win7...)

If you go to that device's manufacturer's website they may have a driver for you as well.

Glen T

BC

The point is that it doesn't need any additional drivers. And the devices are installed and working as expected. Win XP just thinks it needs drivers but it already has them. What I want to do is stop XP from asking about these drivers.

Aranarth_t

join:2012-05-03

yep try my suggestion and see if that resolves the issue.

You are correct is suggesting it is an INF issue. I suggested how to get an updated .INF or the correct INF file to fix the issue.

Depending on your view point inf files and drivers are analogous they tell windows how to use the device properly.

Glen T

BC

1 edit

Initiating a driver update within the Device Manager does nothing different than allowing the search at boot time. It comes back with Cannot Install this Hardware. There are no drivers for these drives on the HP website. Drivers are not required. They are built into WinXP. So there are no drivers to find in Windows Update.

Even though the Device Manager Driver page states that driver info is "not available" if I click the Driver Details button, I see the same drivers loaded as on other systems:

C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys (CD)

C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\disk.sys (HD)
C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\PartMgr.sys (HD)

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Glen T

Its been awhile since I've used Windows XP, but I thought when the driver install box that you are talking about comes up, there was some kind of check box that you could check that says something like "Don't try to install this again" or something along those lines.

Again, I may be thinking of a different way of doing a driver install, but I thought it was on the screen you are talking about. You check the box, and even though windows thinks you need a driver, you won't see the "Windows has found new hardware" box on boot up, for that given piece of hardware.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Glen T

BC

Yes, tried that also. The tickbox to ignore the device is there, but XP ignores it in this case.

It's like it is trying to install the device twice. It succeeds the first time and fails the second. BTW, if I let it try to search and find a driver and then fail, the device ends up listed under unknown devices with an (!) mark, but it works anyways.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

Have you tried removing the devices from Device Manager (uninstalling them) and then rebooting (probably should be a cold boot so shut the machine all the way off after removing the devices)? That may enable XP to load a good driver once and for all.

Glen T

BC

No joy. I also tried deleting the devices and then getting the Device Manager to scan for new devices. No change.

I then tried disabling the devices and succeeded in rendering the system unbootable (had to restore that last good state from the boot menu).

Glen T

BC

I remembered from Win95-98 days that multiple copies of devices could be seen in the Device Manager in Safe Mode, so logged on as Administrator and tried deleting the devices there (only found one copy) and then booted normally. No joy.

rfnut
Premium
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL
kudos:2
reply to Glen T

Did you try leaving the device with the (!) there and deleting the other "working" one and reboot? Sometimes the (!) means a conflict and if the other is removed the ! will turn into the working one.

Glen T

BC

I only ever see one of each of the problem devices in the Device Manager. But I strongly suspect XP is loading them multiple times.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to Glen T

go download USBDeview. Use it to remove old USB entries and the current one you are having issues with. reboot and see if that helps.

Glen T

BC

Well, these are not USB devices. They are both SATA (internal).

I ran MS Fix It. No change.

Ran Norton Utilities and let it fix a bunch of registry problems. No joy.

Went through the system event messages and got rid of a couple of dead DLL references that Norton missed. No change.

I did find an HP Diagnostic tool that allowed me to see a bunch driver duplications (along with a bunch of drivers that were not currently attached to the system). I deleted everything I found that was not in current use. I was really hopeful about this, no change.

Then I searched the registry and found duplicate driver entries for the HD and deleted one set. Also got rid of the old DVD drivers (older model HP drive) and still no joy.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Have you tried a repair of the OS? Make sure the OS is in the CD/DVD ROM and start it up. You can use Recovery Console and try the commands to delete the cd/dvd drivers and then let Windows install a fresh copy. If that doesn't work, then start up the OS (disc in tray) and try to repair the OS.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben