spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

saberon

join:2011-05-27

BB50/100 Price hike?

My friend just noticed his bill says BB50 is going up $5 June 1st, so I'm assuming BB100/250 is as well.

*Sigh*, price increases are monthly, not yearly now.

Any official confirmation..Sean? Is HS10/20 going up too?

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

said by saberon:

My friend just noticed his bill says BB50 is going up $5 June 1st, so I'm assuming BB100/250 is as well.

Any official confirmation..Sean?

It cost alot to be the best

Current Monthly Services (19-May-12 to 18-Jun-12)Personal TV + Unlimited 250144.90
Sports 110.00
Entertainment 110.00
Entertainment 210.00
Entertainment 310.00
Timeshift 5.00
Family 5.00
Personal Home Phone 15.00
Features and Long Distance 20.00
Total Current Monthly Services$229.9

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to saberon

said by saberon:

Not sure off hand, I'd connect with chat and ask them about pricing.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

waldstein

join:2010-07-25
Hoserland
reply to saberon

I just checked with the concierge service. The rep told me, basically, that users who signed up early with the new services last year were held at the rates agreed upon at that time. Since then, she went on, the advent of exo rates had increased those prices for "newer" users of the similar services now available. In other words, she said, the increase of five bucks was a "catch-up" for early adopters.

Be nice if one of the Shaw posters could confirm/deny this explanation.

Here's some of the convo...

Shaw rep (12:46:32):
all plans have basically already gone up...
Shaw rep (12:47:02):
however, we have kept the lower rate for all customers who subscribed to this service early, when it was first introduced

Shaw Account (12:47:24):
so you are "catching me up"?

Shaw rep (12:47:31):
the rate increase will bring the pricing up to par with what all other customers have currently been paying

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

Let me see what I can find out. I'll get you guys an answer.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

I was paying 119.90/month for bb50/personal tv/best of hd/landline

My bill also went of $5 but the bill didn't specify which part of my package went up.

On my bill personal tv/bb50 are billed together. It went up $5. I thought it was the personal tv.. I guess it was the bb50.

anon32432

@shawcable.net
reply to saberon

I really like Shaw, and don't plan on leaving.

Sadly though these constant price hikes along with everything else, is going to make me rethink just how much I spend with Shaw.

Money is starting to get tight with inflation, from everything from food, to yearly property tax increases.

Unfortunately my internet, tv, is going to have to take the back burner pretty quick if this keeps up.

It would be nice if one company, just One, recognized its getting tough out there for some. I know they have the price of there materials and everything increase as well. Just starting to get frustrating is all.

tablo

join:2011-06-30
Edmonton, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

3 edits
reply to waldstein

said by waldstein:

Shaw rep (12:46:32):
all plans have basically already gone up...
Shaw rep (12:47:02):
however, we have kept the lower rate for all customers who subscribed to this service early, when it was first introduced

This is true, I pay $99.90 + tax for BB50, basic phone, and personal TV plus a free DCX3200 rental. The current bundle price for the same packages is $114.90 + tax AND requires a purchase of "Shaw WiFi Modem" for $98 which is (I believe) DPC3825 in the picture. Is Shaw done with giving a free rental of DOCSIS 3.0 modems? Looks like Shaw really has horrible deals for new customers these days.

Mongole

@shawcable.net

This is true. Going forward any new customers on DOCSIS3 tiers will be required to purchase modem for $98.00+Tax. WiFi modem rentals will still be available to anyone 25Mbps and below.

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

If this is true, I am not impressed..... I am not paying to purchase shaw equipment that becomes out of date within a few years. I regret buying the total home gateway, I rarely use it myself, it was supposed to replace my other sources of receiving tv shows on demand. AppleTv and netflix have done a better job of doing that by far. I plan to drop my extras for Tv ie combo package since I never use it as soon as one our roommates move out.

saberon

Luckily I already have a Docsis 3 modem but..WTF Shaw!? Really?? Really???

This is what's happened just in the last few months

Personal TV from $25 to $35
Best of HD from $20 to $35
HD/PVR rental/purchase prices gone up significantly
No double play discounts
Home phone mandatory for SPP
Home phone went up $5
DOCSIS 3 requires $100 modem purchase

This is getting so out of hand it's not even funny.

lisior
Premium
join:2011-11-04
Calgary, AB

Reading this thread makes me wonder whether I'm getting a good deal with the pricing below:

Personal TV + Broadband 50 $84.90
Movies $10.00
Entertainment 1 $10.00
Entertainment 2 $10.00
Timeshift $5.00
News $5.00
Personal Home Phone $15.00
Total Current Monthly Services $139.90

And as the OP mentioned my monthly services rate will be increased by $5 (plus tax) effective June 1, 2012.

Comments? Could I have a similar package for less?

One thing I wasn't impressed with was I looking at how much extra I'd have to pay if I wanted to upgrade from BB50 to BB100. According to »www.shaw.ca/Internet/Compare-Plans/ BB50 is $70 whereas BB100 $80. Great, I can live with $10 difference. However, in my chat with concierge I was told that it would be more than $10 because I am on SPP and in order for me to get BB100 I'd have to be moved to a new plan altogether so the net increase would be more than $10 - sorry don't remember exactly how much more. I told the rep that this appears misleading to say the least and I got an apology LOL

Thanks
--
lisior
Calgary, AB

saberon

Your on the "old" SPP which is cheaper.

It would cost you WAY more if you had that same packaging today, and if you change your internet to BB100 the following happens:

Personal TV goes up to $35 + $80 BB 100 + News $10

fender

join:2007-07-23
Vancouver, BC
reply to saberon

These companies (Shaw, Telus, etc) have the worst pricing system designs.

You end up with a headache just trying to figure out how much it will cost you to get 3 specific channels.

You're dealing with a varied customer base. Most of them *don't* want to spend time trying to figure this crap out. The monthly bills hitting $150-200 will make them start, though. The mess they find there will not be encouraging.

Chuckcar OTT

@teksavvy.com
reply to saberon

Would you rather move to Ontario and pay double?

crazyea

join:2006-10-26
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to pkarlos_76

said by pkarlos_76:

If this is true, I am not impressed..... I am not paying to purchase shaw equipment that becomes out of date within a few years. I regret buying the total home gateway, I rarely use it myself, it was supposed to replace my other sources of receiving tv shows on demand. AppleTv and netflix have done a better job of doing that by far. I plan to drop my extras for Tv ie combo package since I never use it as soon as one our roommates move out.

I'm with you buddy. But I have 4 portals......lolz.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

1 edit
reply to saberon

said by saberon:

So I got confirmation on the $5 price increase, and it's for extreme or BB50 + Personal TV. If you're on Personal TV/BB100+ subscription there's no increase.

EDIT: that also goes for HS10/20

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

InfernoSB

join:2005-08-17
New Westminster, BC

3 edits
reply to saberon

Give it 5 years and you'll be paying double or more :O

Price hike also applies to those without Personal TV as well. I only use Extreme + Home Phone with them and they also hiked the price $5 up.

whaleoil

join:2001-10-01
Sidney, BC

What do you pay for just basic phone and Extreme?
This is what I had before and they had a BB50 deal with phone and TV for less than what I was paying for only Extreme and phone. I don't watch TV and I am barely using 150GB a month so I'm thinking of dropping TV.

InfernoSB

join:2005-08-17
New Westminster, BC

$76.95 before tax. If you have a BB50 deal that comes with phone + tv for less than that, link me/us.