hmm...

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

After reading that, I think that metered billing is on the way.

hallofjustic
@comcast.net

hallofjustic to pflog

Anon

to pflog
Was just reading that and thinking, "Wow"
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ERPro8
Netgear R7000

AndyDufresne to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog

Re:main points

"In the next few months, therefore, we are going to trial improved data usage management approaches comparable to plans that others in the market are using that will provide customers with more choice and flexibility than our current policy. We'll be piloting at least two approaches in different markets, and we'll provide additional details on these trials as they launch. But we can give everyone an overview today.

The first new approach will offer multi-tier usage allowances that incrementally increase usage allotments for each tier of high-speed data service from the current threshold. Thus, we'd start with a 300 GB usage allotment for our Internet Essentials, Economy, and Performance Tiers, and then we would have increasing data allotments for each successive tier of high speed data service (e.g., Blast and Extreme). The very few customers who use more data at each tier can buy additional gigabytes in increments/blocks (e.g., $10 for 50 GB).

The second new approach will increase our data usage thresholds for all tiers to 300 GB per month and also offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks (e.g., $10 per 50 GB).

In both approaches, we'll be increasing the initial data usage threshold for our customers from today's 250 GB per month to at least 300 GB per month."

"In markets where we are not trialing a new data usage management approach, we will suspend enforcement of our current usage cap as we transition to a new data usage management approach, although we will continue to contact the very small number of excessive users about their usage."

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog

Re: [Caps] Comcast tweet: replace usage cap with usage mgmt

Ahh, monkey see, monkey do.

Sounds like what AT&T is already doing. Larger caps for their more expensive services, and overage charges instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Although this tentative Comcast change for their residential customers does seem to be at least somewhat competitive in that the base caps are still larger than AT&T's, but the proposed overage charges are the same.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Yep...

Glad I'm on business class...but I wonder how long business will remain unlimited at this point...

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by pflog:

said by IowaCowboy:

Yep...

Glad I'm on business class...but I wonder how long business will remain unlimited at this point...

Since AT&T's business class services are also not subject to caps and overages, it will likely remain unlimited as long as AT&T can restrain their own greed.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by NetFixer:

said by pflog:

said by IowaCowboy:

Yep...

Since AT&T's business class services are also not subject to caps and overages, it will likely remain unlimited as long as AT&T can restrain their own greed.

true
btalbott
join:2003-12-25
Elkton, MD

btalbott

Ironically enough, many businesses probably don't use nearly as much as some of the heavy hitters on residential....

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to pflog

to pflog
This was only a matter of time...

"This conclusion was only reinforced when, in recent weeks, some of the conversation around our new product introductions focused on our data usage threshold, rather than on the exciting opportunities we are offering our customers."

Nice swipe there Comcast Cathy... stay classy now.

The 250GB cap was designed and intended by Comcast to keep TV on TV and prevent Internet from becoming TV. Well, Internet is becoming TV and Comcast had to do this to keep from getting a phone call from the FCC.

Welcome to your new "cable" bill folks.... Here come the cord cutters.

Score one for Netflix et. al.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to pflog

to pflog
Thanks for bringing us the news so quickly, pflog See Profile. You even beat Jason.

Because he and his team can answer our questions officially, I'm going to cross-link to his topic and close this one.

Let's discuss here, please. ---> »[BW Meter] Comcast to Replace Usage Cap