jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2

1 edit

1 recommendation

[BW Meter] Comcast to Replace Usage Cap

We've announced some important changes – there’s more information on our blog and our FAQs. In essence, effective immediately, we’re suspending enforcement of our 250 GB data usage limit. In the near future, Comcast is also planning to trial some different ways of managing usage, which may include a higher overall data usage limit and data usage limits that vary by tier.

Mod Note: Just adding a cross reference to pflog See Profile's topic ---> »[Caps] Comcast tweet: replace usage cap with usage mgmt
--
JL
Comcast

btalbott

join:2003-12-25
Elkton, MD

Nice. Now for those that continually abuse the cap, they won't get cut off, they will just have to pay for their overage. Raising the cap from 250G to 300G is a great move and I believe the business model will serve well.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

1 recommendation

reply to jlivingood

This is probably, cautiously, good news to the heaviest users. However, it makes customers like me a little nervous. While my account never came close to pushing through the cap, I liked being able to check occasionally to make sure that hadn't changed.

I'm not sure I like this because it sounds like I might run into additional charges without knowing it is happening. While you may be better able to manage your network, it worries me I may not be able to manage my budget.

I hope I am wrong.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to jlivingood

That's good to hear. While a 250GB cap may have been more reasonable back in 2008, it clearly isn't an effective network management tool for today's internet usage. I'm glad that Comcast came around and realized this....

I wonder if the FCC dropped them a line...

EDIT:
"This conclusion was only reinforced when, in recent weeks, some of the conversation around our new product introductions focused on our data usage threshold, rather than on the exciting opportunities we are offering our customers."

Nice swipe there at your customers "Comcast Cathy"... Stay classy.

More like you got called out and that the FCC was ready to give you a ring...

--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5
reply to sortofageek

Wow, looking at the FAQs (»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ive-use/), some of the "improved data usage management approaches" that will be trialled look like they're from suggestions in my recent Data Caps poll thread: »[Caps] What do you think Comcast should do now about its data ca

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jlivingood

That's awesome to hear, but just a personal opinnion you can pass on, I am sure others here will agree with this...

If you go the tiered rout, please don't make it ridicilous... like 4GB for limited and 10GB for starter... etc...

I personally think the base internet usage limit should be 250GB for "starter" and higher amounts for higher speed users... like 1TB for 100+Mbit users, 500GB for performance and higher users... etc

I know the blog post says some stuff like this, but just wanted to put it out there again

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to sortofageek

said by sortofageek:

I'm not sure I like this because it sounds like I might run into additional charges without knowing it is happening. While you may be better able to manage your network, it worries me I may not be able to manage my budget.

I feel exactly the same way.

This looks suspiciously like the current phone model that we keep reading about, with resulting exorbitant fees for exceeding limits without any way to verify that we are approaching the cap.

jlivingood See Profile , will there be notifications sent when approaching these caps?

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jlivingood

I sure hope the "purchase blocks" is like you say I want to set my permonth cap at 450 so I buy $30 per month of bandwidth.. not oh you went over this month so that's a $10 overage charge..

I like the proactive approach as opposed to the bill shock approach

and what we really need is an e-mail sent to the master account's e-mail saying you are approaching x% of your cap... its annoying having to check the bandwidth monitor every so often if you think you are getting closer... a proactive e-mail would be so much better or set the account it gets sent to if you dont want it to your master e-mail account

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

reply to neufuse

said by neufuse:

That's awesome to hear, but just a personal opinnion you can pass on, I am sure others here will agree with this...

If you go the tiered rout, please don't make it ridicilous... like 4GB for limited and 10GB for starter... etc...

I personally think the base internet usage limit should be 250GB for "starter" and higher amounts for higher speed users... like 1TB for 100+Mbit users, 500GB for performance and higher users... etc

I know the blog post says some stuff like this, but just wanted to put it out there again

Per the FAQs @ »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ive-use/ it seems safe to conclude that you needn't worry about 4GB:

"In both approaches, we'll be increasing the initial data usage threshold for our customers from today's 250GB per month to at least 300GB per month."
--
JL
Comcast

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to jlivingood

To be honest, the 'cap' may be going up now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it actually DECREASE in the future if streaming continues to increase and video revenue falls. It will only take one competitor to go after money, and the rest will fall inline, even where there is no real competition.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

reply to newview

said by newview:

said by sortofageek:

I feel exactly the same way.

This looks suspiciously like the current phone model that we keep reading about, with resulting exorbitant fees for exceeding limits without any way to verify that we are approaching the cap.

jlivingood See Profile , will there be notifications sent when approaching these caps?

The plans for the trials are not set yet, so no official word.

But one of our execs just said on a press call that (paraphrasing):
- There will be several notifications
- The customers will have lots of notice

Basically, no one wants a customer to be surprised...
--
JL
Comcast

anon234

@mich.net
reply to neufuse

I'd have to agree with you neufuse. As long as they use reasonable numbers for their tiers it wouldn't be too bad. Maybe base them on a ratio of speed and capacity. You get 250GB for every 6mbps of speed. If you're on the 12/2 plan then you'd have 500GB, if you're on blast you'd have about 800GB. If you're on extreme 50 or 105, it would be 1.6TB and 3.2TB. As the speed of the tiers go up so does your cap. I think that would be more people happy because if you're going to have to pay more for overages you should be getting more speed to go with it. It would be more enticing for people to jump to a higher tier if they are getting more speed and capacity.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

I think your numbers are unlikely/not really reasonable.
People using those levels of bandwidth should expect
to pay extra for bandwidth as well as a portion of the cost to upgrade the plant to handle the load.
If you could really find it cheaper YOU probably wouldn't be on ComCast.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jlivingood

This screws over people like me who live in rural areas and don't have problems going over every month since the node isn't congested. But anything that raises the cap, i'm for.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

spookypuff66

join:2003-11-10
Silverthorne, CO
reply to newview

>>I'm not sure I like this because it sounds like I might run into additional charges without knowing it is happening.

I don't understand the problem? When I sign into Comcast customer central I can see my High-Speed Internet Data Usage on a daily basis.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI

Yeah, i don't think that system is going away when the new plans are implemented.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

keenan424

join:2003-01-13
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to spookypuff66

I believe the concern was that the meter would go away and instead the customer would have to rely on notifications from Comcast that they were getting close to the cap limit, not a very efficient method in my opinion, and if I had to guess I would say the meters would still be in place with any new cap system, at least I certainly hope so.

If you're going to apply punitive measures for excessive data usage, on any capped/metered system, then you better supply a method for tracking that data usage.

Anttwan

Fruitland Park, FL
reply to jlivingood

i really dont understand.. my house just started streaming alot so a bigger cap would be nice.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
reply to keenan424

said by keenan424:

I believe the concern was that the meter would go away and instead the customer would have to rely on notifications from Comcast that they were getting close to the cap limit, not a very efficient method in my opinion, and if I had to guess I would say the meters would still be in place with any new cap system, at least I certainly hope so.

Oh! Well, the meter to track your usage isn't going away...

From the FAQs @ »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ive-use/
Q. Will you continue to offer access to the data usage meter?
A. Yes.The Data Usage Meter is an easy and quick way for customers to track their Internet data usage. The primary account holder can find it by signing onto Comcast.net and logging into “My Account.” Then click on “Users and Settings,” look in the “My Devices” section (located toward the upper right hand of the screen), and click on “View Details.” From there, you can view your Data Usage Meter details page that shows your monthly data usage. We're working on ways to make the Data Usage Meter even easier to find and track.

More information about the Data Usage Meter can be found on our Network Management page at »networkmanagement.comcast.net/da···eter.htm.
--
JL
Comcast

Master Wolfe

join:2009-04-04
Panama City Beach, FL
reply to jlivingood

I think that however it is handled, people will complain because it is Comcast. I personally think this is great.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to jlivingood

While this sounds good on the surface, I think we should all be careful what we wish for. (metered billing).

MFriz

@hudsonalpha.org
reply to jlivingood

Will this effect business customers? Or will they still not have caps...

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Business customers are not included in this. This specifically refers to the residential side of service.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

but it will effect the choice of going to business for an extended flat rate vs tiered useage.
It changes the balance of value between the two service offerings.
as I asked on the front page
Will business soon carry a higher premium?
or face it's own cap?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Good points !

You have to keep in mind though, being a business customer doesn't only eliminate caps. You get faster service resolutions also.

If they do anything I would think they'd just increase the price a bit.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

1 recommendation

reply to spookypuff66

said by spookypuff66:

>>I'm not sure I like this because it sounds like I might run into additional charges without knowing it is happening.

spookypuff66 See Profile

You replied to newview See Profile, but you actually quoted me.

So far, it isn't a problem for me because I can sign into Comcast Customer Central, see what the cap is, see my usage to date and make an informed decision whether I need to back off for the remainder of the month or not.

At the time I posted, I had heard Comcast was doing away with the 250GB cap, but it was not yet clear I would know at what point they would start charging at metered rates. Hence, I wasn't sure I would be able to manage my usage to stay in budget.

I was remembering the old Compuserve metered billing during dial up days. One could run up a horrendous bill really quickly back then. It made the service almost unusable for many of us.

From what Jason has stated since my earlier post, I feel more comfortable, that I will be able to know the point where additional billing will kick in and will still see the meter.

So, for customers like me, the concerns are gone for now. I have always dreaded metered billing, though.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

anon234

@mich.net
reply to tshirt

@tshirt:

They already do... If you're on extreme 105 you're paying in the $150 - $200 range. If the standard tier is $60 a month for plant upgrades, line maintenance, customer support, email, etc etc, that extra $90 a month is directly related to giving them more speed. If it requires more hardware to get the extra data then it just means the plant has more capacity for the times when those people are not using it.

keenan424

join:2003-01-13
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to jlivingood

Well, that should allay the fears of many of the posters here, thanks for the confirmation.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to jlivingood

I use 20-30 GB per month so I will be well under the cap. My low usage is probably because I am a Cable TV customer as well. Owning my DVRs (TiVo) keeps the bill down. I also own my modem.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to anon234

you paid more more for the Max speed and some capacity upgrade, but total bandwidth usage on, say a 400 sub mode was restricted by the cap to 400 x 250.
If you raise the base cap to the TB range at the top, AND make cap/tier expandsion flexible/on demand, most likely you will need to greatly expand Capacity again to cover the times when everyone decides that on the second tuesday of the month they intend to download non-stop, full out and eat the overage cost.

seperately there are the costs of moving that data beyond the last mile