jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
reply to jlivingood

Re: [BW Meter] Comcast to Replace Usage Cap

While this sounds good on the surface, I think we should all be careful what we wish for. (metered billing).

MFriz

@hudsonalpha.org
reply to jlivingood

Will this effect business customers? Or will they still not have caps...

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Business customers are not included in this. This specifically refers to the residential side of service.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

but it will effect the choice of going to business for an extended flat rate vs tiered useage.
It changes the balance of value between the two service offerings.
as I asked on the front page
Will business soon carry a higher premium?
or face it's own cap?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Good points !

You have to keep in mind though, being a business customer doesn't only eliminate caps. You get faster service resolutions also.

If they do anything I would think they'd just increase the price a bit.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

1 recommendation

reply to spookypuff66

said by spookypuff66:

>>I'm not sure I like this because it sounds like I might run into additional charges without knowing it is happening.

spookypuff66 See Profile

You replied to newview See Profile, but you actually quoted me.

So far, it isn't a problem for me because I can sign into Comcast Customer Central, see what the cap is, see my usage to date and make an informed decision whether I need to back off for the remainder of the month or not.

At the time I posted, I had heard Comcast was doing away with the 250GB cap, but it was not yet clear I would know at what point they would start charging at metered rates. Hence, I wasn't sure I would be able to manage my usage to stay in budget.

I was remembering the old Compuserve metered billing during dial up days. One could run up a horrendous bill really quickly back then. It made the service almost unusable for many of us.

From what Jason has stated since my earlier post, I feel more comfortable, that I will be able to know the point where additional billing will kick in and will still see the meter.

So, for customers like me, the concerns are gone for now. I have always dreaded metered billing, though.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

anon234

@mich.net
reply to tshirt

@tshirt:

They already do... If you're on extreme 105 you're paying in the $150 - $200 range. If the standard tier is $60 a month for plant upgrades, line maintenance, customer support, email, etc etc, that extra $90 a month is directly related to giving them more speed. If it requires more hardware to get the extra data then it just means the plant has more capacity for the times when those people are not using it.

keenan424

join:2003-01-13
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to jlivingood

Well, that should allay the fears of many of the posters here, thanks for the confirmation.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
reply to jlivingood

I use 20-30 GB per month so I will be well under the cap. My low usage is probably because I am a Cable TV customer as well. Owning my DVRs (TiVo) keeps the bill down. I also own my modem.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to anon234

you paid more more for the Max speed and some capacity upgrade, but total bandwidth usage on, say a 400 sub mode was restricted by the cap to 400 x 250.
If you raise the base cap to the TB range at the top, AND make cap/tier expandsion flexible/on demand, most likely you will need to greatly expand Capacity again to cover the times when everyone decides that on the second tuesday of the month they intend to download non-stop, full out and eat the overage cost.

seperately there are the costs of moving that data beyond the last mile

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to ExoticFish

said by ExoticFish:

Good points !

You have to keep in mind though, being a business customer doesn't only eliminate caps. You get faster service resolutions also.

If they do anything I would think they'd just increase the price a bit.

Business class:
Better service
Ability to use statics
Ability to run services without violating AUP

and, no caps.

The first three reasons are the same.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us
Expand your moderator at work

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to jlivingood

Well hopefully it'll remain a soft cap and not a hard cap w/ overages.

So long as the policy of only calling the worst of the worst stays in place I'm fine with it.

But onto how will it effect me? I use BCI not HSI so is anything changing there?

joe40

join:2005-11-26
Danbury, CT
reply to jlivingood

this is a good way to please more customer.

charging 10 for every 50 gigs over level is better than reaching the cap and have the hassle of calls or slowdown of your speed.
for myself, i rather pay more for use than have a cap.

on the meter i only wish it was on the homepage or better a gadget on my desktop.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jlivingood

Of course, everyone would really like no caps, but relatively speaking this sounds like they are exploring reasonable options.

I think that at least having a moderate cost per each additional 50gb makes a tremendously better amount of sense that an arbitrary whack on the back of the head, like a $10 charge per extra gb!
--
Deeds, not words

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:7
reply to IPPlanMan

said by IPPlanMan:

I wonder if the FCC dropped them a line...

EDIT:
"This conclusion was only reinforced when, in recent weeks, some of the conversation around our new product introductions focused on our data usage threshold, rather than on the exciting opportunities we are offering our customers."

Nice swipe there at your customers "Comcast Cathy"... Stay classy.

More like you got called out and that the FCC was ready to give you a ring...

From an PC Magazine article on this (»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404557,00.asp), here is what Comcast said their motivation was:

Today, Comcast stressed that it "never had any intention to limit the lawful use of the Internet or restrict our customers' ability to view online video."

In a conference call, Cohen said that "even today, only a very small number of our customers have ever even come close to the [250GB] cap."

Cohen said Comcast is not comfortable giving out specific numbers, but he acknowledged that "the vast, vast majority of our customers will be totally unaffected by this announcement."

When asked why Comcast would increase the limit if most customers are not even coming close to hitting the cap, Cohen said "it's a matter of messasging way more than it's a message of capacity."

"We want you to feel free to use Netfix and YouTube and Hulu," he said. "We want to send a signal that our network is robust ... and we don't need to use four-year-old terminology in terms of having a static byte cap to deal with data-management usage on our high-speed data service. We believe we can use these more flexible, more consumer-friendly, [and] improved data-mangement practices.

Heavy users who bump up against the caps will be provided with notifications, [Cathy] Avgiris said, but those who don't alter their usage will incur additional fees. The trial, however, will provide more details on how best to pursue that, she said.

Why now? Cohen said that "a lot has changed in the last four years," pointing to new technologies and the growth in online video usage.

"For the last six months we have been analyzing the market and our process and think that now is the time to begin to move to a new plan," Avgiris said. "This conclusion was only reinforced when, in recent weeks, some of the conversation around our new product introductions focused on our data usage threshold, rather than on the exciting opportunities we are offering our customers."

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
reply to jaynick

said by jaynick:

While this sounds good on the surface, I think we should all be careful what we wish for. (metered billing).

We're already use to metered billing in our lives. Try and find cell phone data packages that are unlimited. They're going away.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Johkal:

said by jaynick:

We're already use to metered billing in our lives. Try and find cell phone data packages that are unlimited. They're going away.

I am aware of that, that's why I wouldn't want to see it with Comcast. I am just hoping that after raising the cap, they don't go crazy with overages. Myself, the present cap is not an issue but it can be for many users.

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
kudos:1
reply to jlivingood

While this looked like good news at first, it looks like metered billing is being adopted, rather than a soft and rarely enforced cap.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
reply to jlivingood

I hope this all goes back to normal soon because I enjoy being able to log into my account and checking just how close I'm getting to the cap.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to jlivingood

I really like how this sounds. I have never come close to the 250 cap.
I think this is a positive move on Comcast's part.

As long as I continue to pay what I am paying now, I see nothing but a positive move forward.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to sortofageek

said by sortofageek:

I was remembering the old Compuserve metered billing during dial up days. One could run up a horrendous bill really quickly back then. It made the service almost unusable for many of us.

So, for customers like me, the concerns are gone for now. I have always dreaded metered billing, though.

Yep, as you do, I remember those days well, when CompuServe was king, navigating and downloading when minutes meant dollars at a blazing (at the time) 14,400 bit/s connection!

One evening (I can't remember now what the downlad was) I spent an extra 35 - 40 minutes trying to download something...I caught hell over the bill...and it fit on a 3.5 floppy disk.
--
Deeds, not words

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ

2 edits
reply to jlivingood

I certainly hope I won't have to start paying for extra data on a per month basis, like one of those pay as you go plans found with cellphones, or have to deal with overage charges. I mean whats next, charging by the Gigabyte?

evo73

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to jlivingood

Ugh, this is gonna make me feel like I am on mobile broadband at home having to worry about overages. What a joke.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to jlivingood

(topic move) [Caps] Caps vs. Metered Billing

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 3 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Caps] Caps vs. Metered Billing

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
reply to jlivingood

Just to confirm - the soft caps are removed for this current month or from next month?
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA

"Effective immediately...."
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ive-use/

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA

1 edit
reply to neufuse

said by neufuse:

I personally think the base internet usage limit should be 250GB for "starter" and higher amounts for higher speed users... like 1TB for 100+Mbit users, 500GB for performance and higher users... etc

Very few users approach 250 GB. Faster speeds don't necessarily mean more downloads either. I pay extra for Blast so I can download stuff faster, not so I can download MORE stuff that I wouldn't have downloaded otherwise.

I'm not too concerned about where the cap is, though I don't like subsidizing heavy users who pay the same amount as me.
Expand your moderator at work

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 edit
reply to jlivingood

Mod Note

Topics involving bandwidth management, bandwidth meter, caps, metered billing and anything else related tend to branch off in multiple directions and create huge topics where we repeat everything somebody has said before. It's so easy to do.

This time, however, in this thread, I am trying to keep it focused on this Comcast announcement. If your comment or question isn't directly related to this announced change, please try to find another thread where it fits or start a new topic which begins by defining what you want to talk about. If something in this one has triggered your thoughts, you can always include a link to the post which caused you to want to say something in that new topic.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .