share rss forum feed

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to jlivingood

Re: [BW Meter] Comcast to Replace Usage Cap

I really like how this sounds. I have never come close to the 250 cap.
I think this is a positive move on Comcast's part.

As long as I continue to pay what I am paying now, I see nothing but a positive move forward.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to sortofageek

said by sortofageek:

I was remembering the old Compuserve metered billing during dial up days. One could run up a horrendous bill really quickly back then. It made the service almost unusable for many of us.

So, for customers like me, the concerns are gone for now. I have always dreaded metered billing, though.

Yep, as you do, I remember those days well, when CompuServe was king, navigating and downloading when minutes meant dollars at a blazing (at the time) 14,400 bit/s connection!

One evening (I can't remember now what the downlad was) I spent an extra 35 - 40 minutes trying to download something...I caught hell over the bill...and it fit on a 3.5 floppy disk.
--
Deeds, not words

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

2 edits
reply to jlivingood

I certainly hope I won't have to start paying for extra data on a per month basis, like one of those pay as you go plans found with cellphones, or have to deal with overage charges. I mean whats next, charging by the Gigabyte?

evo73

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to jlivingood

Ugh, this is gonna make me feel like I am on mobile broadband at home having to worry about overages. What a joke.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to jlivingood

(topic move) [Caps] Caps vs. Metered Billing

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 3 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Caps] Caps vs. Metered Billing

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to jlivingood

Just to confirm - the soft caps are removed for this current month or from next month?
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

"Effective immediately...."
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ive-use/

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to neufuse

said by neufuse:

I personally think the base internet usage limit should be 250GB for "starter" and higher amounts for higher speed users... like 1TB for 100+Mbit users, 500GB for performance and higher users... etc

Very few users approach 250 GB. Faster speeds don't necessarily mean more downloads either. I pay extra for Blast so I can download stuff faster, not so I can download MORE stuff that I wouldn't have downloaded otherwise.

I'm not too concerned about where the cap is, though I don't like subsidizing heavy users who pay the same amount as me.
Expand your moderator at work

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 edit
reply to jlivingood

Mod Note

Topics involving bandwidth management, bandwidth meter, caps, metered billing and anything else related tend to branch off in multiple directions and create huge topics where we repeat everything somebody has said before. It's so easy to do.

This time, however, in this thread, I am trying to keep it focused on this Comcast announcement. If your comment or question isn't directly related to this announced change, please try to find another thread where it fits or start a new topic which begins by defining what you want to talk about. If something in this one has triggered your thoughts, you can always include a link to the post which caused you to want to say something in that new topic.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

We're already use to metered billing in our lives. Try and find cell phone data packages that are unlimited. They're going away.

I have unlimited data still on my cell phone..

Thanks Sprint!
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to tshirt

(topic move) [Caps] Are they really necessary?

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 1 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Caps] Are they really necessary?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

jlivingood See Profile quoted the guy upstairs and assured everyone that the 250 cap was SUSPENDED everywhere, and testing will begin in (unnamed) areas, in at least 2 flavors with 300GB at the bottom, and different methods of tiering.
Also the meter will stay active.
sofar there is nothing to see, but I would guess the meter will have it's scale updated when they figure out reasonable, sustainable levels.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to jlivingood

Mod Note 2

For those who don't know, the New Topic button is here ---> »/speak/comcast···Z2UtQ2Fw

Please use it if you wish to post off topic comments. If you're not sure whether your comments would be considered directly related to this announcement, please just IM me and ask.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

coold8
Premium
join:2005-05-15
Arlington, VA
reply to jlivingood

I personally like it. Why? I plan on switching from FiOS back to comcast. I always liked their service better, the issue was the cap. I was always worrying about it. Comcast is cheaper/faster in my area and I prefer their customer service from my experience. I also don't like the DHCP issues I have with using my own router with FiOS. I signed up for the Extreme 105, they are coming tomorrow. I usually bump up against that 250gb every month and occasionally go over, so for me, having a 300gb limit (plus whatever they give for the extreme 105 tier) will be perfect. Every once in a while I may go over that limit and have to pay $10, but I am saving nearly $35 a month by switching and tripling my speed, so for me the data usage overage fees will never actually go in to effect for me, and if they do it will be like a once a year type thing.

See ya FiOS.

Tobin

join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

My biggest concern is going to payment double-dipping as the media landscape changes in the next decade. Imagine the following scenario...

Fed up with the cable/media stronghold's resistance, Apple overpays Disney for ESPN/ABC. They then hold it ransom until the rest of the industry agrees to terms on a new AppleTV a la carte subscription IPTV service. You end up paying through Apple for content, and Comcast for bandwidth...double-dipping. This does allow you to drop your cable TV package, but Comcast already gives you lucrative discounts for Triple Play. It also forces you to upgrade your broadband tier or pay cap overage fees every month on top of what you pay Apple.

All I want to do is pay a reasonable monthly fee and be able to watch local sports on any of my devices without being blacked out. I can't do that at the moment and it's infuriating. For example the SF Giants games are blacked out even though I have Comcast Sports Bay Area on my channel line-up. Is it the commercial time I'd be missing by viewing the game on MLB.tv? I'd gladly watch those same ads on my iPhone or Windows PC if they let me...

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

said by Tobin:

You end up paying through Apple for content, and Comcast for bandwidth...double-dipping. This does allow you to drop your cable TV package, but Comcast already gives you lucrative discounts for Triple Play.

Did you perhaps mean to use a different example, at least to me that does not sound like double dipping. Though, even if you were paying for NBC content (Comcast now owned) and also paying them for bandwidth, I don't see that as a case of double dipping. Paying for content doesn't entitle a subscriber to connectivity, and paying for connectivity definitely does not entitle them to content.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1
reply to jlivingood

I'd like to thank Jason and other members of the Comcast team for listening to their customers and reconsidering the cap like they promised to a few years ago. I understand a lot of ppl are worried about metered billing, but we'll just have to see how it plays out. No matter how it pans out, Comcast raised the cap to at least 300GB for now, and that's a good start.

And FWIW Comcast, everyone hates metered billing. So how about you just raise the cap based on the service tier and leave the current data policy in place?

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

said by nerdburg:

And FWIW Comcast, everyone hates metered billing. So how about you just raise the cap based on the service tier and leave the current data policy in place?

FWIW, not every hates the idea if done right and fairly. I personally hate the draconian idea that service may be shut off (kind of like elementary school) if I go past a certain threshold.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nerdburg

Not everyone hates it.
In fact for lower users, we see this as the next step in shifting the VERY high cost of serving those few that insist they need very fast speeds or very high transfer volumes or both.

No one should hate it as its a plan that allows you to use as much as you can/will pay for, at a variety of speeds.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
reply to AVonGauss

Personally, I like the first "new approach" that Comcast mentioned:

The first new approach will offer multi-tier usage allowances that incrementally increase usage allotments for each tier of high-speed data service from the current threshold. Thus, we'd start with a 300 GB usage allotment for our Internet Essentials, Economy, and Performance Tiers, and then we would have increasing data allotments for each successive tier of high speed data service (e.g., Blast and Extreme). The very few customers who use more data at each tier can buy additional gigabytes in increments/blocks (e.g., $10 for 50 GB).

From the results of my recent Data Cap poll thread (»[Caps] What do you think Comcast should do now about its data ca), would seem to indicate that a large number of this forum's posters would be happy with that also as it "raises it to a higher amount" (300 GB), "varies by HSI tier" (Blast and above) and "allow users to pay a higher fee for a higher cap" ($10/50 GB). Only the ones that had voted to "totally remove it," would not be satisfied then.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

As far as what the "increasing data allotments for each successive tier of high speed data service" should be, in that Data Cap poll thread, I figured it might go by the sustained downstream data rate for each tier (»[Caps] What do you think Comcast should do now about its data ca).
The ratios for Performance/Blast/E50/E105 work out to be 1/1.67/4.16/8.8.

Going by that, the caps for the tiers would be like this:

Speed Tier -- Monthly Data Cap

Performance (12/2) -- 300GB

Blast! (20/4) -- 500 GB

Extreme 50 (50/10) -- 1.25TB

Extreme 105 (105/10or15) -- 2.5TB

This is close to what djcrazy had proposed: »[Caps] What do you think Comcast should do now about its data ca

JJJohnson

join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO
reply to jlivingood

They're always looking for ways to boost revenues in a market that has become stagnant. Just sounds like another ploy to justify increased fees.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

An interesting analysis of all this in an article on the Digital Trends site today:

Why Comcast really cares about data caps and tiered plans
By Geoff Duncan, Digital Trends - May 24, 2012
»www.digitaltrends.com/computing/···d-plans/

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8
reply to telcodad

The most I think I have used in 1 month is around 320GB. So if the new Cap for Blast is 500GB then call me a very happy customer

And if I need an extra 50GB its only $10 correct?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

That's what had been said by Comcast, as an example.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to gate1975mlm

said by gate1975mlm:

And if I need an extra 50GB its only $10 correct?

Yes, that's the figure that Comcast is currently citing - "$10 per 50 GB"

zGunBLADEz

join:2012-05-24
Chicago, IL
reply to jlivingood

I always hit close to the 250gb cap every month, i just stream all day shows and movies from netflix for my daughter and thats the most bw use here, also i download a lot of steam games.. A 50gb increase is not enough. I want a whole month or what i can download for what i paid for.. I wouldnt mind if comcast throttle my speed, if speeds go up again at late at night when everybody is sleeping i can continue my downloads then thats fair. Prefer that, than waiting a month to pass by or been worry about hitting caps watching the meter like a lunatic (have enough of that on my cellphone) or paying the extra fees like a freaking cellphone..

So with hulu,amazon, netflix even comcast on demand thru the internet plus steam (which i use all of them) and a couple of users like myself, my wife and my kids that plan is not enough.

Right now i been without cabletv for over 6 months, im still paying for it, dont have time to deal with service or repair.. You think comcast have the dignity to make a phone call to my house to check why my cable box dont appear online on their status in the last 6 months? NO!!!!!
But if they receive the payment they dont say squat..