share rss forum feed

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to nerdburg

Re: [BW Meter] Comcast to Replace Usage Cap

said by nerdburg:

And FWIW Comcast, everyone hates metered billing. So how about you just raise the cap based on the service tier and leave the current data policy in place?

FWIW, not every hates the idea if done right and fairly. I personally hate the draconian idea that service may be shut off (kind of like elementary school) if I go past a certain threshold.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nerdburg

Not everyone hates it.
In fact for lower users, we see this as the next step in shifting the VERY high cost of serving those few that insist they need very fast speeds or very high transfer volumes or both.

No one should hate it as its a plan that allows you to use as much as you can/will pay for, at a variety of speeds.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6
reply to AVonGauss

Personally, I like the first "new approach" that Comcast mentioned:

The first new approach will offer multi-tier usage allowances that incrementally increase usage allotments for each tier of high-speed data service from the current threshold. Thus, we'd start with a 300 GB usage allotment for our Internet Essentials, Economy, and Performance Tiers, and then we would have increasing data allotments for each successive tier of high speed data service (e.g., Blast and Extreme). The very few customers who use more data at each tier can buy additional gigabytes in increments/blocks (e.g., $10 for 50 GB).

From the results of my recent Data Cap poll thread (»[Caps] What do you think Comcast should do now about its data ca), would seem to indicate that a large number of this forum's posters would be happy with that also as it "raises it to a higher amount" (300 GB), "varies by HSI tier" (Blast and above) and "allow users to pay a higher fee for a higher cap" ($10/50 GB). Only the ones that had voted to "totally remove it," would not be satisfied then.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

As far as what the "increasing data allotments for each successive tier of high speed data service" should be, in that Data Cap poll thread, I figured it might go by the sustained downstream data rate for each tier (»[Caps] What do you think Comcast should do now about its data ca).
The ratios for Performance/Blast/E50/E105 work out to be 1/1.67/4.16/8.8.

Going by that, the caps for the tiers would be like this:

Speed Tier -- Monthly Data Cap

Performance (12/2) -- 300GB

Blast! (20/4) -- 500 GB

Extreme 50 (50/10) -- 1.25TB

Extreme 105 (105/10or15) -- 2.5TB

This is close to what djcrazy had proposed: »[Caps] What do you think Comcast should do now about its data ca

JJJohnson

join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO
reply to jlivingood

They're always looking for ways to boost revenues in a market that has become stagnant. Just sounds like another ploy to justify increased fees.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

An interesting analysis of all this in an article on the Digital Trends site today:

Why Comcast really cares about data caps and tiered plans
By Geoff Duncan, Digital Trends - May 24, 2012
»www.digitaltrends.com/computing/···d-plans/

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8
reply to telcodad

The most I think I have used in 1 month is around 320GB. So if the new Cap for Blast is 500GB then call me a very happy customer

And if I need an extra 50GB its only $10 correct?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

That's what had been said by Comcast, as an example.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to gate1975mlm

said by gate1975mlm:

And if I need an extra 50GB its only $10 correct?

Yes, that's the figure that Comcast is currently citing - "$10 per 50 GB"

zGunBLADEz

join:2012-05-24
Chicago, IL
reply to jlivingood

I always hit close to the 250gb cap every month, i just stream all day shows and movies from netflix for my daughter and thats the most bw use here, also i download a lot of steam games.. A 50gb increase is not enough. I want a whole month or what i can download for what i paid for.. I wouldnt mind if comcast throttle my speed, if speeds go up again at late at night when everybody is sleeping i can continue my downloads then thats fair. Prefer that, than waiting a month to pass by or been worry about hitting caps watching the meter like a lunatic (have enough of that on my cellphone) or paying the extra fees like a freaking cellphone..

So with hulu,amazon, netflix even comcast on demand thru the internet plus steam (which i use all of them) and a couple of users like myself, my wife and my kids that plan is not enough.

Right now i been without cabletv for over 6 months, im still paying for it, dont have time to deal with service or repair.. You think comcast have the dignity to make a phone call to my house to check why my cable box dont appear online on their status in the last 6 months? NO!!!!!
But if they receive the payment they dont say squat..

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

Blast! (20/4) -- 500 GB

This is close to what djcrazy had proposed: »[Caps] What do you think Comcast should do now about its data ca

For those that are asking/thinking these are real Offical number.
realize those are pipe dreams post by/solicted telcodad See Profile in other pro "kill the cap" threads.

the only info from comcast has been PROBABLY 300GB base included plus MAYBE $10 per 50GB extra.
Nobody should believe they will dedicate TB's per customer at anywhere near the current monthly fees, it just is not economically viable to do so.

zGunBLADEz

Chicago, IL

Even if they do, 90% of the customers don't gonna use that much...
Numbers are just for the ease of mind on what if i use this amount of bw this month without been afraid to be interrupted of service or overcharged...

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to zGunBLADEz

said by zGunBLADEz:

Right now i been without cabletv for over 6 months, im still paying for it, dont have time to deal with service or repair.. You think comcast have the dignity to make a phone call to my house to check why my cable box dont appear online on their status in the last 6 months? NO!!!!!
But if they receive the payment they dont say squat..

Do you really expect them to check up on you?
You have time to use 250GB on netflix, Hulu, Amazon, onDemand, and Steam (and probably even PLAY games) but YOU have no time to call in about something you pay for but claim does not work????

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to zGunBLADEz

said by zGunBLADEz:

Even if they do, 90% of the customers don't gonna use that much...
Numbers are just for the ease of mind on what if i use this amount of bw this month without been afraid to be interrupted of service or overcharged...

You won't be OVERCHARGED, you WILL be charged for what you use.
Simple concept really, if the water bill is too high, use less (really waste less, somehow we think pure water is unlimited and free) if the electric bill is too high turn off a few lights, if the credit card is too high buy less.

zGunBLADEz

Chicago, IL

1 edit
reply to tshirt

The time im at home theres no tech service, so yeah i manage to put that much data on my service without cabletv... Right now i just get off from comcast chat support and i have proof of my automatic payments they do every month to my credit card..

As a matter of fact i have been without cabletv and been charged since october 11 from last year lol..

REP: Alexis, I'm glad to inform you that since you're currently enrolled to our autopay, all your payments were properly received every 28th of the month.
Alexis: nice
Alexis: now
Alexis: i have internet and cable tv
Alexis: internet is working fine
Alexis: you can check the last status of my cable box on your database
Alexis: the date
Alexis: because i have been without cabletv for the last 6months
REP: Oh,
REP: I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. I'm going to do everything I can to resolve this with you today.
REP: I don't want to miss my favorite shows, either.
REP: May I know for how long you've been using the said box.
Alexis: 6months i have been charge and not a single call from comcast to check of why my cablebox dont appear online
Alexis: since connection
REP: I see here that you currently have 1 active cable box. You only have 1 box, right?
Alexis: yes
REP: Thank you for the confirmation.
Alexis: for some weird reason it stays like in downloading something theres no shows showing or nothing, dont know now
Alexis: i havent check in a couple of months
REP: I really apologize for the inconvenience, Alexis. I'll do everything I can to help you with the issue,
Alexis: i call when it started the rep tellme to reboot the thing but no luck so i give up, dont have to much time to deal with that
Alexis: that was the last time i called
Alexis: if they write logs you can see it there
REP: I see here that it was last October 11, 2011 when you last contacted us regarding your reception issue.
Alexis: oh look
Alexis: so is more than 6 months
Alexis: lol

So in another words they have time to monitor bw usage why dont do a user a favor for their convenience?? courtesy..??

Hey average joe your cablebox dont appear online since october 11 2011 and we are in may 24 2012 what the hell is going on here??? Everything is fine over there???

Or wait, automatic payment went thru screw him lol... Is his problem that dont call us...

God forbid you miss that payment tho lol...

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

said by telcodad:

Blast! (20/4) -- 500 GB

For those that are asking/thinking these are real Offical number.
realize those are pipe dreams post by/solicted telcodad See Profile in other pro "kill the cap" threads.

the only info from comcast has been PROBABLY 300GB base included plus MAYBE $10 per 50GB extra.
Nobody should believe they will dedicate TB's per customer at anywhere near the current monthly fees, it just is not economically viable to do so.

I'm not sure anyone might have thought that these were "official numbers," as I had said in my post that one of Comcast's "new approaches" was for "increasing data allotments for each successive tier of high speed data service" and I was just figuring what those allotments might be if they increased in the same way as the sustained downstream data rates for each tier.

Not that I want to debate the same ideas again as in my Data Cap poll thread (»[Caps] What do you think Comcast should do now about its data ca), but in my area, Comcast's current, regular charges for the Extreme 50 and Extreme 105 tiers are $99.95/mo and $199.95/mo, respectively, so I can't see why it wouldn't be "economically viable" to allow those few customers to use 1 or 2 TBs in a month.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to zGunBLADEz

said by zGunBLADEz:

The time im at home theres no tech service, so yeah i manage to put that much data on my service without cabletv... Right now i just get off from comcast chat support and i have proof of my automatic payments they do every month to my credit card..

As a matter of fact i have been without cabletv and been charged since october 11 from last year lol..

Again, really? You know, if this was one or two months I might be a bit more empathetic but its been over six months - and you know this. Kind of falls in to the category of the gym membership someone decides not to use for 6 months, but then is upset that it can't be refunded - imo.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

....I'm not sure anyone might have thought that these were "official numbers," as I had said in my post that one of Comcast's "new approaches"

No, I thought you've been fairly careful, however after you posted the next post er was misled or wanted to appear so and assumed those number as gospel as might anyone who didn't follow the whole thread.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

OK, gate1975mlm had said "So if the new Cap for Blast is 500GB" which I focused on the "if," but I can see how one might think he thought it was an actual Comcast-proposed figure.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

but in my area, Comcast's current, regular charges for the Extreme 50 and Extreme 105 tiers are $99.95/mo and $199.95/mo, respectively, so I can't see why it wouldn't be "economically viable" to allow those few customers to use 1 or 2 TBs in a month.

Because that assume no little cost for the high speed tier itself, i.e. if all the excess is due to data cost, shouldn't we all have 105 and the tiers represent allowed volume?

but because of the way tier system was designed and until now marketed, I think the current prices represent the really price of that speed with ONLY 250-300GB included, now the choices are to decide where the baseline is and exactly how to price the overage.

Remember tolls serve 2 purposes, the first is to repay over time the true cost of the improvement they pay for (plus profit/interest for the bond holders) but the pricing also limits the useage to fit the existing/expanded infrastucture.
so you look for 2 points in the potential pricing range, A}which is maximum return on investment and B} most efficient uses of the infrastucture i.e. moves the most traffic at a high but not always fastest speed.

Somewhere between those prices is usually the best pricing choice for everyone.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to jlivingood

Let's try to keep this topic focused on what Comcast has actually published about these changes. It was intended as an opportunity for interaction and discussion with jlivingood See Profile and his staff in regard to those changes.

Let's keep everything not directly related to that purpose in other topics.

Thanks for your cooperation.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

chong67

join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA

1 edit
reply to jlivingood

[BW Meter] Broken?

I purposely get close to 240 gb every month. I time it.

But 300 gb is great number to remember. That would be 10 gb a day x the days of the month.

I think Comcast meter is broke this month. It is 50gb inaccurate. You got 5 more days to make use of it.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 recommendation

Have you read this thread ? You don't even have to think about the cap right now.....

chong67

join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA

1 edit

Re: [BW Meter] Broken?

Oh! That is nice. Free buffet and all you can eat!

Thanks!

Expand your moderator at work

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to jlivingood

(topic move) [BW Meter] Is the meter gone?

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »[BW Meter] Is the meter gone?

neil0311

join:2005-07-24
Marietta, GA
reply to AVonGauss

said by AVonGauss:

said by nerdburg:

And FWIW Comcast, everyone hates metered billing. So how about you just raise the cap based on the service tier and leave the current data policy in place?

FWIW, not every hates the idea if done right and fairly. I personally hate the draconian idea that service may be shut off (kind of like elementary school) if I go past a certain threshold.

Agree. An amount of included bandwidth starting at 300GB is not only reasonable in a relative way when compared to other ISPs, but it's reasonable relative to normal use. If they tier for higher speed plans, then I think that makes it even more reasonable.

If people want to use what I consider to be unreasonable amounts of bandwidth to stream pirated movies and games or whatever they are doing with torrents, then they should pay for that bandwidth and not expect the rest of us to subsidize their overuse.