telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to Sennheizer

to Sennheizer

Re: Weird lawnmower issue

said by Sennheizer:

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by telco_mtl:

when my friend messed up the carb on his 2 year old briggs (mixed oil with the gas) i just put a 20 year old carb from a spare mower on it, briggs parts are common over many years which is quite the blessing!

How would a little oil mixed in with the gas mess up the carb? Cleaning out the gas tank, carb and spark plug would correct the problem.

My thoughts exactly. That post seemed like a B&S commercial. In the automotive forums they bash Honda as well. I'd guess they have some kind of axe to grind with Honda. All engines (Honda, Kawasaki, B&S, Kohler, etc.) have negatives and positives.

I have no problems with honda they build an excellent engine, just the installed base for replacement parts isnt as big, so not as common. around here honda power equipment is sold through a few specialized retailers and you have to go out of your way to find them, a lot of the local shops wont touch them.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

said by telco_mtl:

I have no problems with honda they build an excellent engine, just the installed base for replacement parts isnt as big, so not as common. around here honda power equipment is sold through a few specialized retailers and you have to go out of your way to find them, a lot of the local shops wont touch them.

Honda parts are not normally stocked because they normally don't need service! LOL...

It almost sounds like the carb is not set right. The motor revs fine with no load, but put a load on it and it bogs and dies.

My B&S on my generator did this. You could rev the motor freely with no load on it. Hook a load to the generator, and the motor would try to open the governor, but bog down and die. Found out the idle jet was plugged. (I had rebuild the carb a few months before, but couldn't get the jet out at the time. Got pissed and pulled the carb off the motor hot and the jet came right out.) Replaced the jet and the unit runs fine... or ran fine... I haven't started it since December. (I have StaBil Marine in it though.)