All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
jtcasas
join:2012-05-10

jtcasas to NetFixer

to NetFixer

Re: [Business] ARP Packets from Comcast are Flooding My LOCAL Ne

Thank you, NetFixer! I will call Comcast tonight, and have them reset my login credentials.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by jtcasas:

Thank you, NetFixer! I will call Comcast tonight, and have them reset my login credentials.

I got back to my office sooner than I previously expected, and I rebooted my SMCD3G to see what would happen. The ARP traffic was gone, but I was once again not able to access my SMCD3G. This time the tier 1 CSR was not able to just simply reset the cusadmin password; she had to rebuild my profile and force a factory reset to get the cusadmin password to reset.

Now I can see (as was reported by sragle See Profile) that the firmware has been rolled back to 1.4.0.49.7-CCR. After reentering all of my firewall rules, the True Static IP firewall rules are also working properly again (at least until the next firmware upgrade).
Dr Gary
join:2001-01-13
Geneva, IL

Dr Gary

Ok...I reset my SMCD3G...my device downloaded the firmware rollback...the ARP storm is now gone...but I no longer have web interface modem access....just as reported.

Does everyone have to call to regain modem access or will they stage yet another firmware update to fix that?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

Well, I now have found something that no longer works after the 1.4.0.49.7-CCR firmware was restored; my SMCD3G can no longer work as a DNS forwarder.

Previously when using the 1.4.0.49.7-CCR firmware, it forwarded all DNS requests to 68.87.68.162 and 68.87.74.162, and it worked properly as a DNS forwarder.

After the recent "upgrade" to the 3.1.4.51.1 firmware, it used 68.87.72.130 and 68.87.77.130, and it still worked properly as a DNS forwarder.

Now after the profile rebuild and reload of the 1.4.0.49.7-CCR firmware, it is setup to use the 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76 servers, but it is not actually able to do DNS resolution. This is probably what Nalez See Profile was referring to in this post: »Re: [Business] ARP Packets from Comcast are Flooding My LOCAL Ne wherein it was reported that firmware release 3.1.4.51.1 had fixed a problem with the SMCD3G not working properly as a DNS forwarder with Comcast's DNSSEC servers.

I doubt that I will bother to call in to try to get this corrected, because I don't want to have to deal with any more down time if somebody screws it up any worse. I will just make a few local config changes so that nothing is using the SMCD3G as a DNS forwarder.
NetFixer

NetFixer to Dr Gary

Premium Member

to Dr Gary
said by Dr Gary:

Ok...I reset my SMCD3G...my device downloaded the firmware rollback...the ARP storm is now gone...but I no longer have web interface modem access....just as reported.

Does everyone have to call to regain modem access or will they stage yet another firmware update to fix that?

You will have to call support at 800-391-3000. The CSR may be able to just reset the cusadmin password to the default "highspeed", but most likely they will need to rebuild your profile and do a factory reset on the SMCD3G.

I think the problem is that some of the settings in the 3.1.4.51.1 firmware were in different memory locations than in the 1.4.0.49.7-CCR firmware, so a factory reset is required after the 1.4.0.49.7-CCR firmware has been reloaded. I have seen this behavior in many SOHO router devices when an older firmware is loaded over a newer firmware.
btalbott
join:2003-12-25
Elkton, MD

btalbott

Ok that was fun. Missed the factory reset, so all of my port forwarding got wiped out. Had to walk my wife how to set up a rule so I could configure everything remotely (I'm away this week).
She's happy, I'm happy!

I'm amazed that it took this long to rectify...

Ran another wireshark trace and all of the non local ARP/DHCP traffic is where it should be....on the WAN side.
Dr Gary
join:2001-01-13
Geneva, IL

Dr Gary to NetFixer

to NetFixer
Netfixer...

Ok...I called tech support...and the CSR rep had to:

1) Enable the cusadmin logon access
2) Reset the cusadmin password

Thanks for your assistance...no more LAN-side ARP floods...and the intermittent connectivity issues that also had been reported with the new firmware release are also gone.

Thanks Again!