All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Splat9
join:2009-07-19

Splat9

[CA] TV Card Problem - Orange County

I've got a Cox coaxial cable running to a TV card in my computer.

On Monday, May 14 I noticed channel 4.1 is not NBC HD, instead it's showing the same programming that is on channel 4.2 - KNBCCDT2.

So, instead of watching NBC News in High Definition at 6:30pm I'm getting 'About San Diego' - the same show that is on channel 4.2

Is this happening to anyone else in Orange County?

I called Customer Service and was told they don't support TV cards.
videonex
join:2001-07-22

videonex

Is your tuner saying you're tuned to 4.1? If that's the case, your next call should be to KNBC. Tell them what Cox said. Cox is obligated to support any reception of local stations. It doesn't matter what the method of reception. That's F.C.C. rules. KNBC will see to it that Cox is in compliance and you get your problem fixed. Ask for the engineering department. If you have any trouble getting a live person, ask for the closed caption problem line. That will get you to the right department, even though a bit back doorish.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to Splat9

Premium Member

to Splat9
is it still happening?
Splat9

Splat9

said by videonex:

Is your tuner saying you're tuned to 4.1? If that's the case, your next call should be to KNBC. Tell them what Cox said. Cox is obligated to support any reception of local stations. It doesn't matter what the method of reception. That's F.C.C. rules. KNBC will see to it that Cox is in compliance and you get your problem fixed. Ask for the engineering department. If you have any trouble getting a live person, ask for the closed caption problem line. That will get you to the right department, even though a bit back doorish.

Yes, I'm using Windows Media Center and channel 4.1 is not NBC HD it is KNBC-DT2 (NBC Plus). Both 4.1 and 4.2 are showing the same programming.

I hope you're right about that FCC rule. I emailed KNBC under the heading of 'Signal Quality Issue'.

If I don't hear from them by tomorrow afternoon, I'll give them a call.
said by ajwees41:

is it still happening?

Yes, it's been this way since Monday, May 14. I've got 2 computers with TV cards and both are having the same problem.

I'm splitting the cable before it goes to their Digital Receiver so these cards are getting a straight feed from Cox.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

just the cards or is it happening on the box also?

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX to Splat9

Premium Member

to Splat9
Try using »www.silicondust.com/supp ··· hannels/ and enter your Zip Code.

SiliconDust is usually accurate.

Also, Is it possible you merged the channels in Windows Media Center by mistake?
Splat9

Splat9

Also, Is it possible you merged the channels in Windows Media Center by mistake?

I just went into Media Center to check that and find that after 4 days of being screwed, up things are now back to normal.

Channel 4.1 is back to being NBC HD.

Thanks for chiming in guys.
Splat9

Splat9 to BryanInPHX

to BryanInPHX
said by BryanInPHX:

Try using »www.silicondust.com/supp ··· hannels/ and enter your Zip Code.

SiliconDust is usually accurate.

The guide I'm using is fine.

The problem is, NBC HD is not available. The channel that is supposed to be NBC HD (4.1) is NBC Plus as is channel 4.2, the channel that is designated NBC Plus.

As I wrote last week, the mixed up channels went back to normal - after 5 days.

But today it is back to being screwed up.

And calling COX "Support" is an exercise in futility.

said by BryanInPHX See Profile

I don't think so, I haven't done anything in WMC settings. The problem occurred out of the blue, was back to normal 5 days later and now is screwed up again.

Nobody here lives in Orange County CA and uses a TV card, huh?
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

have you tried calling the tv station?
Splat9

Splat9

said by ajwees41:

have you tried calling the tv station?

No. I e-mailed them and didn't get a response. But you're right, a call is probably the right move.