uniqs
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Cheap 4-door car with good mileage

In about a month I think, I should be getting a little over $2000 (not sure on exact amount yet, potentially around $2500), and I need a car. I had to let my 2007 Ram go because I had no income but it was a regular cab anyway and I need something with a back seat not to mention better mileage.

I've been browsing auto trader off and on for a while now and not finding many that cheap, or at least I'm not searching the right models. Craigslist has found some cheaper vehicles but still not many that cheap. I'm not that picky on brand, age, miles, etc. Mainly I want something that gets good mileage, decent back seat and automatic.

Is what I'm looking for out of the question? I'd prefer to pay for it in cash so I don't have another payment hanging over my head. I also don't mind traveling to get it, but I'm in the Atlanta area if anyone knows of something nearby. Thanks
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

How good are you at doing some auto repair? Unless you get hooked up by a friend or family that doesn't rook you at that price range you may have problems unless you can fix some stuff yourself.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

I can indeed fix some things. My dad is a retired mechanic and I've learned a lot from him. I don't have access to his set of tools anymore as they are on the other side of the country but I have basic hand tools and ratchets and such. Nothing to clean parts or such sadly and any money for that would come out of the car fund.

Ideally I should be able to keep some money coming in but I dislike the idea of another payment right now. Would that be the better course, just getting a more expensive car with a payment? Considering I just let a "new" (was "new" when I got it in 2008) truck go at the beginning of the year, and other credit issues trying my damnedest to keep that truck, let's just say my credit SUCKS.

Considering this, I played with a loan calculator just now. USAA wouldn't approve me to do a re-fi on my truck but their worst of the worst rates for used cars appears to be 13.69% but I figured let's jack it up to 20% just for the hell of it. $5000 loan amount, 36 months at 20% gives me a monthly payment of $185.82. That's probably about the max I could afford right now.

Even down to 13.69% it only drops the payment to $170.14, a savings of ~$15 a month. 48 months would stretch that out to $135.86 or $152.15. That might be the better option, I could simply pay more if I have extra free money but not be burdened by it if I can't. FWIW my 2007 truck was costing me $641.33 a month on a ~30K loan over 72 months which estimating would be around 15% APR.

So assuming $5000 financed amount, I could potentially be looking at $7000 or so if I put 2K down. Honestly I've been looking at the new Chargers but I've always figured they were something to get later when I have more income. I've seen a few Chargers in that price range before, I suspect mostly because of their mileage. I don't expect the 30 MPG my grandfather's Ford Fusion gets but I'd like something better than the 16 or so I got in my truck. Suggestions?
nonymous (banned)
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to JoelC707

to JoelC707
There may be ok vehicles in that price range. Others will make better recommendation on models.
Just may need occasional elbow grease on at leaste relatively simple things.

More likely to find through a friend of a friend or family than on craigslist. Someone getting rid of an older vehicle that may run ok but well is older. Cosmetically not that great but an ok runner.
There are certain vehicles that can be driven into the ground.
Plus when I say mechanically inclined I do not mean necessarily doing a full engine but maybe the smaller things like brakes, alternators etc.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to JoelC707

to JoelC707
the 2003-2005 cavaliers and sunfires are dirt cheap and have the ecotec, its a saab engine that gets ridicoulous gas mileage.

Angralitux
join:2004-05-20
DO

Angralitux to JoelC707

to JoelC707
why not a an honda civic? if you dont mind getting a car a bit older, but they are with corollas among the best cars for fuel efficiency; and parts are cheap too, and you've got a durable car too, which may have a better resale value down the road.
Angralitux

Angralitux to JoelC707

to JoelC707
you could try and get this 1995 pontiac Grand AM GT

»www.craigslist.org/about ··· 438.html
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to nonymous

Premium Member

to nonymous
True, and using these tools I have done brakes and a water pump on a 92 Dakota back in 2010. Haven't had to do any other work to it since. I could tear the entire engine down with the tools on hand, I just don't have what I need to clean up the parts. I have already been given the 92 Dakota but the only issue is it's a regular cab and even 3 in there is close quarters. I'm going to have a 4th person that will need to be in the vehicle soon.

I've tossed around the idea of selling the truck or doing a trade + cash deal or something but since it's the only truck available to me at the moment and I do occasionally need to haul things, it makes sense to keep it. To my knowledge there's no one in my family selling a vehicle or any friends but I can ask around for sure.

The Cavalier is a good idea and they do seem to be very cheap (many in the $3000 range and lower). The only issue I'm seeing is most are coupes. There are some sedan models but they are few and far between. Considering the 3rd and 4th person riding in the car are kids in car seat/booster, they will need to be in the back. It's a PITA to squeeze back there to buckle those things in let alone buckling in the kids.

The Sunfire seems to be the same way but one listing did catch my eye: 2001 Sunfire, 4dr, runs and drives but started overheating; $950. That's pretty cheap and could be any number of fixable things. But at the same time I had a 95 Ram 1500 that I did everything short of replacing the engine and couldn't get it to not overheat, so it could be more hassle than it's worth.

A Honda/Toyota had crossed my mind but I've never really liked those cars. Of course as long as it fits my needs, I'll hold my nose while driving it if I have to. I'd rather have something else but if I don't find anything else it is what it is. On a side note, I've seen a lot of older Honda/Acura and Toyota vehicles burn oil, are there specific years to watch out for that do that or is that just a symptom of someone not taking care of the vehicle?
JoelC707

JoelC707 to Angralitux

Premium Member

to Angralitux
Oh wow. That is one hell of a listing. I can see why it got best of CL. LOL
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to JoelC707

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

The Cavalier is a good idea and they do seem to be very cheap (many in the $3000 range and lower). The only issue I'm seeing is most are coupes. There are some sedan models but they are few and far between. Considering the 3rd and 4th person riding in the car are kids in car seat/booster, they will need to be in the back. It's a PITA to squeeze back there to buckle those things in let alone buckling in the kids.

The Sunfire seems to be the same way but one listing did catch my eye: 2001 Sunfire, 4dr, runs and drives but started overheating; $950. That's pretty cheap and could be any number of fixable things. But at the same time I had a 95 Ram 1500 that I did everything short of replacing the engine and couldn't get it to not overheat, so it could be more hassle than it's worth.

dont go older than 2003, you are getting into 2.4 l territory, they kept all the bad of the quad 4 and added new problems. i had a sunfire gt 2001, it had the 2.4, got 300 000km but it leaked antifreeze like it was free. i just sold my 03 4 door cavalier for 2500$ it ran great, and like i said the ecotec got ridicoulous gas mileage, better than my sunfire, and they are the same car!
dsanfte
join:2005-03-15
UK

dsanfte to JoelC707

to JoelC707
Definitely look into a Saturn SL. They're pretty reliable little cars, cheap to own and cheap to fix (very DIY friendly), 35-40mpg.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to JoelC707

to JoelC707
Scanned the responses. How long do you think you will be in this vehicle?

Want to consider a Grandmother/Grandfather type of vehicle, like a Buick? Usually a private party has kept them up, they have been garaged and have the records and mileage is lower. They aren't classy, but there seems to be a lot of them out there. Myself I would stay away from Chev - different demographic seem to drive those.

Buick Century 3.1 L, 6 cyl, Automatic 4-spd, 18/26 mpg per the EPA as an example.

I suggest this as my own folks have a 99 and I have driven it to visit their friends that are a 200 mi RT, on several occasions. Gets over 26 if do not put my foot into it. It is comfortable for 4. And their friends seem to have similar. Some model engines had a problem with the lower intake gasket, make sure that has been replaced with the new style.

Or I would look at a private party Honda of some sort.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

This would ideally be an interim car, just to get me something to drive right now. It's likely not the car I/we want. That said, we need two cars eventually so unless something changes in the future, this will be a car we could keep for a couple few years. A Buick is a possibility, I haven't looked into them yet.

My dad had a 2001 Saturn SL1 that we got for $3000 back in 2004? I think. It was from the same people we bought an RV from and it was intended for towing behind the RV. It never really got used for that as it was instead used as an around town car instead of our 95/96 Rams. It was wrecked in 07 or 08 from a person running a red light. They're nice cars and I have looked into them again but haven't found any in my price range at the time I looked (a couple months ago).

What about SUVs or small trucks with a decent back seat? Are any of those crossing 20 MPG? I figure one of those could possibly be had for cheap because of their mileage but at this point anything with a back seat and better mileage than I'm getting now (about 16 combined) I'd call a win.
dsanfte
UK

dsanfte to JoelC707

to JoelC707
»atlanta.craigslist.org/n ··· 982.html

Go see the car, look for rust on the subframe and door sills, check that the tranny shifts smooth, otherwise offer them $1500. You're done.

You may have to replace a $10 coolant temp sensor, that's about it for these cars. Watch the oil though.

35mpg.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Oooo. Seems there have been some added since I looked. I like that one.
dsanfte
UK

dsanfte

It's the twin cam, so you won't have to worry about the head cracking (single-cam issue).

Sometimes the thermostat needs replaced ($20 on Rockauto), if you find the heat lukewarm in winter.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to JoelC707

Anon

to JoelC707
I'd get a Honda or an Impala (if you want a bigger car) instead of something discontinued like a Saturn.

Never heard of a Honda burning oil, no matter how old it is.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to JoelC707

MVM

to JoelC707
My experience with Craigslist and good cars like Honda Civics/Accords or Toyota Camry/Corollas, specifically those in the $2500-5000 range, go FAST ! Just a word of advice....

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn to JoelC707

to JoelC707
Check autotrader.com for some ex-police Crown Vics. They go in this price range all the time and you can often find cars that belonged to detectives or others who didn't put 200k miles on the car. Those also have "normal" paint schemes and no leftover graphics to worry about.

They are maintained regularly so they have a lot of life left after they leave a department. You also get P71 goodies like a bigger alternator, performance rear diff and suspension, and silicone radiator hoses.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

What kind of mileage will those crown vics get? Chances are they have the 351 in them right? Sounds like a good idea but if the mileage is bad then I dunno. And as for the person whose never seen a honda smoke no matter how old, I say you haven't been paying attention. I see countless hondas, acuras and toyotas both cars and vans on the road that smoke on takeoff at least.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

It would be the 4.6L (@286 CuIn) V-8, which doesn't do too badly on the highway, at around 24-25MPG.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Ahhh hmm, what about the Impala police version? I believe it runs a V6, would that be any better? A search of autotrader for "four door" "any, any" and "sedan" with 25 mile distance and $0-2K shows 28 listings (I can easily push out the distance and get many many more within acceptable driving distance). There's actually a lot of Buick's like was mentioned.

What about the Taurus or Intrepid? Any years/drivetrains to stay away from? We had a 95 Intrepid with the 3.3 in it and it was great. Transmission eventually needed some work and we gave it to my brother when we moved to Tucson and he's still driving it to this day.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

The Impala police is the 3.8L V6. It's a real runner, and can get in the 28-30mpg range.

I was never much of a fan of the Taurus, and the Intrepid always seemed to be a poor overall vehicle in any case.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

I've never been a Taurus fan myself either but if it fits I'll drive it. Of course if I have another identical choice in a more preferred brand, I'd probably spring for that instead. I've always been a Dodge fan personally.

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn to JoelC707

to JoelC707
I just suggested the Crown Vic because it's still worth owning after it's been retired. I don't know if you can say the same about the FWD police cars.

It changed in minor ways throughout the years, meaning parts are plentiful and usually cheap. Under the sheetmetal it was basically the same since the late 70s. They had a long time to perfect the design.

Other cars you might be interested in:

2000 Taurus v6, 120k miles, $2k
»www.autotrader.com/cars- ··· 19178916

1997 Crown Vic, 97k miles, $2k (auction place in SC but you can buy any time)
»www.autotrader.com/cars- ··· 20414064

1996 Buick Regal, 200k miles, $1600 + tax
»www.autotrader.com/cars- ··· 20375231

1997 Chrysler LHS, 142k, $2k - one pic but looks promising
»www.autotrader.com/cars- ··· 22246650

And the coupe de' grace
1996 Lincoln Continental, 265k miles, $800
»www.autotrader.com/cars- ··· 21754883

It needs work but the price is right. Fan costs ~ $150 from my experience. I do love a project car! If it really does run well it's worth it. The current owner has paid for the expensive repairs they normally need already.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to JoelC707

MVM

to JoelC707
Where do you do the majority of your driving, city or highway ? If it's city, I believe that has to rule out the Crown Vic, irregardless of how reliable it may be.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

It will be used for two primary purposes, daily city driving to and from school on surface streets (35-45 MPH speed limits). And the trips to and from West Point (where my GF's mom lives). The trips to West Point are ~100 miles one way all interstate at about 70 MPH. There may be some driving down here once were here. We're trying our damnedest not to but we may be moving down here and if that happens it's going to mean a ~200 mile trip back up to Atlanta every day for my GF to go to school.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

If your G/F thinks she will drive 200 miles round trip a day for college she is crazy. At 25mpg that is at least $550 a month in gas @ $3.50/gal.Then you lose 3 to 4 hours a day in your commute that you cannot use to study or work a job.
It would be cheaper to just get a cheap campus apartment and walk to class.

I dont think a $2,500 car will do it for a 200 mile a day drive unless she can miss a week of class when the car is in the shop getting some repair.

For $2,500 you will probably end up getting a car that burns oil, bad shocks, and has no air conditioning. That would work for short drives to work every day and maybe once a week of 100 miles, but definitely not a 200 mile daily driver.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Oh yeah, hence why we haven't done it yet. There's no on-campus living, its Le Cordon Blue in Tucker. Sure there's probably plenty of apartments and such we could get and we do want a place of our own but it's not in the cards yet. Such as the same reason why we haven't moved to West Point either, but if we did that we could get help with gas, I doubt we could get help with rent because if we were down there we would be helping in other ways offsetting the cost they might help to pay for gas.

Regardless it's not something we want to do but it could be in the cards which is why I want something with high highway mileage. High city mileage would be nice too.

Yeah, that's my issue, a car that will fit my available funds is not likely to be a reliable car or will need a lot of work. I'm not afraid of doing the work and I'm more than capable of it but I'd rather not because those repairs would either have to wait until I got more money (possibly not safe) or come out of the car fund (causing further problems).

So that said, I'll have to see if I/we can get approved (probably a buy here, pay here), but we can probably go up to about $7000 for a vehicle ($2000 down, $5000 financed). I should be getting another ~$2000 either towards the end of the year or beginning of next year so when I get that I can pay a lump sum on the loan knocking it down considerably.

The cool thing is I can probably get a Charger for that cost (seen many at the $8000 mark, a few occasionally below that). Of course if I can't get a Charger, no loss.
nonymous (banned)
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to JoelC707

to JoelC707
A daily 200 mile driver at that price range good luck.

Your best bet like others said are those lightly used cars and taken care of by some older people not all.