Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sennheizer

join:2012-05-14
reply to Sennheizer

Re: Lawn care: Fertilizer, lime, and maintenance

I fertilized 3 weeks ago and limed 4 days ago. Last year fertilizer greened up the grass a ton. This year the fertilizer didn't do much but WOW after the lime the yard looks great! Those guys at the college who do soil tests really know what their doing!

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Sennheizer
I never believed in using fertilizer until I tried it once. A great looking lawn for the dog and kids trumps all the negatives I use to hold against it.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Sennheizer
How helpful is aeration?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by Draiman:

How helpful is aeration?

Depends a lot on the condition of the lawn. Aeration helps loosen the soil, allow water to penetrate deeper. Lets oxygen reach deeper, as well as any nutrients that have been applied (lime, fertilizer). It also exposes fresh soil to give overseeding a place to take root. A healthy lawn can benefit, but a struggling lawn may be able to make more use of it. A poorly neglected lawn may not be able to make use of it without a lot of other stuff to go along with it.

wave_sailor

join:2001-04-23
reply to Sennheizer
I burned out my grass by using too much organic fertilizer (Jonathon Green) in the Spring. It was corn gluten based. So I have two sections that are now crab grass and various other weeds that have managed to come up. One section, probably 8'x8' was barely two years old that I had tilled and planted.

I'm thinking of spraying Spectracide with a garden hose.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to Sennheizer
My lawn care routine? I mow it if I have to. Otherwise it gets nothing. I prefer the "prairie" method. This summer, all my neighbors have nothing to show but dead grass. My native weeds are as green as can be.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

Your neighbors grass is not dead. It is dormant, a natural reaction to drought and heat. Come fall when the temps drop and you get some rain, their lawns will look great again.

My entire lawn was turning brown and quite ugly during the drought like conditions we had in early summer. Then we got rain, and it's back to beautiful.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to wave_sailor
said by wave_sailor:

I burned out my grass by using too much organic fertilizer (Jonathon Green) in the Spring. It was corn gluten based. So I have two sections that are now crab grass and various other weeds that have managed to come up. One section, probably 8'x8' was barely two years old that I had tilled and planted.

I'm thinking of spraying Spectracide with a garden hose.

If you managed to burn your grass with fertilizer then I'd skip Spectracide or you will most likely end up killing your lawn even more. Head back to basics and learn how to use fertilizer correctly first.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

My lawn care routine? I mow it if I have to. Otherwise it gets nothing. I prefer the "prairie" method.

Then you shouldn't mow it at all!

My native weeds are as green as can be.

--
Wacky Races 2012!

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

My lawn care routine? I mow it if I have to. Otherwise it gets nothing. I prefer the "prairie" method. This summer, all my neighbors have nothing to show but dead grass. My native weeds are as green as can be.

I wouldn't have a lawn that couldn't take care of itself.
--
US Border Agent Brian Terry was disarmed by the very bureaucrats that armed his killers.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to Sennheizer
said by Sennheizer:

Those guys at the college who do soil tests really know what their doing!

Yeah, those pH testers are difficult to wrap your brain around.

$10 at your local garden center. All the lime is doing is raising the pH of your soil (which is probably acidic from the fertilizer).

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
said by jester121:

said by Sennheizer:

Those guys at the college who do soil tests really know what their doing!

Yeah, those pH testers are difficult to wrap your brain around.

[att=1]

$10 at your local garden center. All the lime is doing is raising the pH of your soil (which is probably acidic from the fertilizer).

If only it was just pH that mattered for a lawn. The ground gets acidic from rain and pine typically not fertilizer unless you add a truck load or don't know how to use it correctly. It's shocking how bad the lack of knowledge is on fertilizer/lime given how easy it is to get information these days.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to DataDoc
said by DataDoc:

said by nunya:

After spending untold thousands of dollars and hours of hard work I've adopted this also. It's much better and a hell of a lot cheaper. Weeds? Who cares, Green is Good

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by DataDoc:

said by nunya:

After spending untold thousands of dollars and hours of hard work I've adopted this also. It's much better and a hell of a lot cheaper. Weeds? Who cares, Green is Good

It's all weeds in the end. Grass is just considered a 'desirable' weed.

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
It's a pain in the ass to me. Every year my garden gets larger. One day I hope to not have a lawn to mow anymore.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
said by Chinabound:

It's a pain in the ass to me. Every year my garden gets larger. One day I hope to not have a lawn to mow anymore.

The joys of a condo or townhouse!

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Who cares, Green is Good

Now you have to join the George Patton School of Lawnmowing -"If it won't break the mower, mow it."
--
US Border Agent Brian Terry was disarmed by the very bureaucrats that armed his killers.