spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AcctQuestion

@ups.com

Email active after account cancel?

I need to cancel my Mom's phone and DSL internet account (she passed away). Does anyone know if they will keep her email active for a period of time after cancellation? I want to keep it active for a few months since many companies use email as a primary method of communication (and I may need to verify an address change with the email account).

My old Opt Online account was active for years after I moved to FiOS.

Thanks...

scoosdad

join:2007-04-28
Worcester, MA

Pretty sure they do not. I recently called to set a cancellation date for my Verizon DSL and the agent advised me to be sure I had all my personal and online accounts email switched over by that date or I would not receive them after that point. I actually needed more time to make sure that happened so I extended the shut off date by a few more weeks.

Ironically, the one I had trouble changing was DSL Reports due to their recent server troubles. That's all set now and I think that was the last one. Bye bye Verizon, you don't want DSL customers anymore anyway.
--
Worcester MA
Charter internet 30/4
Charter digital cable with HD
VOIPo phone
ICIA CTS-D

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to AcctQuestion

VZ is very efficient about account shutdowns. Once an account is closed, all email and webspace associated with it is immediately gone for good...even if they screwed up and killed it by mistake.

Find out all of her current online access sites and make the changes BEFORE telling VZ to pull the plug. It is generally a bad idea to use an ISP email account for anything of importance. Get her an account with Hotmail or Gmail and use that. If you bother to use the ISP account at all, use it for things that are of no consequence should the address go away.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

scoosdad

join:2007-04-28
Worcester, MA

You're right about that. About two years ago they shut down my account by accident when they had a records snafu and thought my DSL account was tied to someone who wasn't paying their bills. They shut off that account and I lost my service. Took forever to get them to fix that. I finally had to call my state Department of Public Utilities to get pressure put on.

The advice to switch to a Hotmail or Gmail account isn't going to be of much use to the original poster since he was trying to settle his late mother's accounts and probably isn't concerned about future email correspondence after that. When I switched (back) to Charter cable recently I decided to buy an unused domain name and then set up as many personal email accounts as I needed on that domain using one of the bigger email hosting companies. I pay a small amount of money for having done that, but I've locked in those email addresses for as long as I want them and I'm not tied to my ISP for that any longer should some better internet deal come along anytime soon.

I found an easy to speak and spell domain name that I wouldn't have to spell out every time I gave it to someone over the phone, and I'm using simple usernames too, nothing complicated, so the potential for someone to do a typo on my email address is small.

I wouldn't use a free email account for anything serious. There have been too many instances of people losing important mail that way and there's usually no one you can call to get it fixed if they lose something or your mail suddenly stops. You get what you pay for. In my case it was a few dollars a year to set up what I have now.
--
Worcester MA
Charter internet 30/4
Charter digital cable with HD
VOIPo phone
ICIA CTS-D

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

I have had my own domain for a long, long time and use addresses in that space for important things like banking. I also have had Hotmail since 1996 that I use as the backup address (for sites that use those) and for "second-tier" stuff like subscriptions and general website registrations. I have never had any problems with Hotmail losing mail, and their spam filtering is better than 99% effective.

For the OP's situation, he either has to keep the VZ account open until the estate is settled, or figure out who's who and change the address. Having been a conservator, POA, and an executor a number of times, I strongly recommend creating a separate account on Hotmail or Gmail for her affairs and directing everything to it.

I would even go so far as getting a Google Voice number specifically for that purpose as well. After having made the mistake long ago of calling a bank about someone else's affairs, my number was in their system as a point of contact and they began harassing me no end for a bogus 'balance due' 2 years after the estate had been discharged. I made it a point then to only make such calls from my modem line, which did not ring a phone on this end. Fast forward to a year ago when I was handling the affairs for a friend. I gave a GV number to everyone involved and only contacted banks or other entities from it. Sure enough, the same bank that harassed me years earlier did the exact same thing on the GV number a few months after my friend passed. I set it to not ring my phone outside of specific hours. I have since turned off all ringing and only get email notifications of calls or voicemails. Once I kill the email account with it, the number should die-off on its own within 9 months.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

JTS33

join:2003-05-03
USA
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
reply to scoosdad

said by scoosdad:

Pretty sure they do not. I recently called to set a cancellation date for my Verizon DSL and the agent advised me to be sure I had all my personal and online accounts email switched over by that date or I would not receive them after that point. I actually needed more time to make sure that happened so I extended the shut off date by a few more weeks.

Ironically, the one I had trouble changing was DSL Reports due to their recent server troubles. That's all set now and I think that was the last one. Bye bye Verizon, you don't want DSL customers anymore anyway.

Sounds like you'd know and can report back here pretty soon if they really turn off Verizon e-mail right after cancellation. My friend cancelled FiOS a couple weeks ago, and his Verizon e-mail is still working. But maybe they're still billing him for service.

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
reply to AcctQuestion

I cancelled in December and I still receive mail. Of course, that may be because I was linked to Yahoo.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to AcctQuestion

canned verizon DSL during April and voice (POTS) got killed yesterday verizon email still works.