JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to nonymous

Premium Member

to nonymous

Re: Cheap 4-door car with good mileage

True, and using these tools I have done brakes and a water pump on a 92 Dakota back in 2010. Haven't had to do any other work to it since. I could tear the entire engine down with the tools on hand, I just don't have what I need to clean up the parts. I have already been given the 92 Dakota but the only issue is it's a regular cab and even 3 in there is close quarters. I'm going to have a 4th person that will need to be in the vehicle soon.

I've tossed around the idea of selling the truck or doing a trade + cash deal or something but since it's the only truck available to me at the moment and I do occasionally need to haul things, it makes sense to keep it. To my knowledge there's no one in my family selling a vehicle or any friends but I can ask around for sure.

The Cavalier is a good idea and they do seem to be very cheap (many in the $3000 range and lower). The only issue I'm seeing is most are coupes. There are some sedan models but they are few and far between. Considering the 3rd and 4th person riding in the car are kids in car seat/booster, they will need to be in the back. It's a PITA to squeeze back there to buckle those things in let alone buckling in the kids.

The Sunfire seems to be the same way but one listing did catch my eye: 2001 Sunfire, 4dr, runs and drives but started overheating; $950. That's pretty cheap and could be any number of fixable things. But at the same time I had a 95 Ram 1500 that I did everything short of replacing the engine and couldn't get it to not overheat, so it could be more hassle than it's worth.

A Honda/Toyota had crossed my mind but I've never really liked those cars. Of course as long as it fits my needs, I'll hold my nose while driving it if I have to. I'd rather have something else but if I don't find anything else it is what it is. On a side note, I've seen a lot of older Honda/Acura and Toyota vehicles burn oil, are there specific years to watch out for that do that or is that just a symptom of someone not taking care of the vehicle?
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by JoelC707:

The Cavalier is a good idea and they do seem to be very cheap (many in the $3000 range and lower). The only issue I'm seeing is most are coupes. There are some sedan models but they are few and far between. Considering the 3rd and 4th person riding in the car are kids in car seat/booster, they will need to be in the back. It's a PITA to squeeze back there to buckle those things in let alone buckling in the kids.

The Sunfire seems to be the same way but one listing did catch my eye: 2001 Sunfire, 4dr, runs and drives but started overheating; $950. That's pretty cheap and could be any number of fixable things. But at the same time I had a 95 Ram 1500 that I did everything short of replacing the engine and couldn't get it to not overheat, so it could be more hassle than it's worth.

dont go older than 2003, you are getting into 2.4 l territory, they kept all the bad of the quad 4 and added new problems. i had a sunfire gt 2001, it had the 2.4, got 300 000km but it leaked antifreeze like it was free. i just sold my 03 4 door cavalier for 2500$ it ran great, and like i said the ecotec got ridicoulous gas mileage, better than my sunfire, and they are the same car!

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

Bubba to JoelC707

MVM

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

On a side note, I've seen a lot of older Honda/Acura and Toyota vehicles burn oil, are there specific years to watch out for that do that or is that just a symptom of someone not taking care of the vehicle?

I vote for lack of maintenance....owned toyota corrola, corona, camry, highlander and now a nissan altima which will be for sale in 2 1\2 weeks due to retiring. All those mentioned can approach 300k miles easily IMHO with proper maintenance and will use normal oil.